Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ford partners with Google on self-driving cars (Read 110 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Ford partners with Google on self-driving cars
12/22/15 at 07:24:03

https://www.autonews.com/article/20151221/OEM06/151229981/ford-in-talks-with-...

"Google has added two veteran Ford executives to its leadership team. Former Ford CEO Alan Mulally joined Google’s board of directors eight days after he retired from the automaker on July 1, 2014. Then in September, Google hired John Krafcik as CEO of the company’s Self-Driving Car Project. Krafcik, who most recently was president of TrueCar Inc., was CEO of Hyundai Motor America. He spent 14 years at Ford, including a stint as chief engineer during the development of the Ford Expedition SUV.

Ford is scheduled to hold a press conference Jan. 5 in Las Vegas. CEO Mark Fields, product development chief Raj Nair, research and advanced engineering vice president Ken Washington, and Don Butler, executive director of connected vehicles and services, are scheduled to attend.

Yahoo Autos reported on the negotiations earlier today, quoting three sources familiar with the deal who said the deal would create a joint venture legally separate from Ford. The venture would shield Ford from potential liability. The agreement, if completed, also would be non-exclusive, meaning Google could negotiate a similar deal with another automaker, Yahoo Autos reported."

Smiley

One step at a time, one car maker at a time.   Google has the tech and car makers see self driving as a coming thing for all cars, whether they are equipped with a steering wheel or not.

Think cruise control, just one step more advanced .....  once you get on the interstate, just let it go automatic.    

I could see that, especially if they had a guidance wire down the middle of the lane.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Ford partners with Google on self-driving cars
Reply #1 - 12/22/15 at 17:33:27

Yeah, then self driving cars will become mandatory Angry Yep! That'll be the day! When the Nanny State won't even let you drive anymore! Angry The signs are there, with new manual transmission vehicles becoming increasingly hard to find. As if people these days are too sorry (or stupid)  to work their left foot?. Lazy, Lazier, and LAZIER.

C'mon! Seems like people (cough: Americans :cough) just want to sit in their seat and listen to the radio, talk on their cell phones, look out the window, and sleep!? I'd admit that some of that, such as increased sight seeing ability, makes some sense, but--Sheesh! once you're at highway speeds, you don't even change gears most of the time anyway; you're just holding the wheel and holding the pedal (not even that if you have cruise cntrl.)

I guess the self-driving concept makes some sense on the super slab (safety/insurance cost savings where driving is most boring anyway), but putting it everywhere would be ridiculous.

Even then, don't most crashes occur in curves and intersections, like the book says Roll Eyes, or is that just for motorcycles?

Seems sometimes like society is constantly trying to take burdens away from us when those very burdens make up one's life. One of these days, there won't be much left to do. There will be something there to do it for you... to live your life for you. Who wants that?

I guess one will always find something to do in life, but you get what I'm saying? What is there to motorcycling if the bike drove itself? Just the ride? Tongue

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 12/22/15 at 17:43:12

Personally, on the long interstate drives, i'd rather read a book, watch a movie, or sleep.... be nice if "auto" does the driving for me.
Add an automated pump fillup and bam! you wouldn't have to worry about getting out only to see stuff and go potty Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 12/22/15 at 17:52:08

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/should-self-driving-car-be-programmed-ki...

Or this. "Honest officer, it wasn't my fault. This is a Microsoft Windows car - and you know how vulnerable these models are to viruses."

"Sorry sir. Shulda bought a Linuxmobile. Turn around and place your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent ..."

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 12/22/15 at 18:01:07

Useful, I guess, when you want it. That's the key word, I guess. Perhaps self-driving functions could be kept separate in such a way that the old-fashioned way does not become obsolete. However, we've already seen it with the manual and auto transmissions. The latter has become so popular that it has superseded the former.  Of course, there may be reasons other than popularity, but I don't feel like going into all that this minute. Lets just hope that manuals don't become extinct.

Sometimes, something "better" or otherwise popular becomes so popular that everything else, regardless of merit, gets crowded out of the market, either into a small niche, or into extinction. --And that doesn't even mention the politics of it all Shocked.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 12/22/15 at 18:43:00

If I'm not driving then I'm walking. For me, it's not a "point A to point B" thing. Driving is an exprience. I enjoy it. That's one of the reasons why I ride.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #6 - 12/22/15 at 19:06:30

My point exactly  Cool

:Applause:

(I wish I knew how to program more animations into this thing than the standard emoticons)

Walking is generally out for me, especially lately (lazy), particularly because I live in the country, and it would probably take me at least an hour (or several hours) just to walk to town Tongue.

Quick transportation is an important thing in itself, but that's not all there is too it. There is more to eating than basic nourishment. Why eat stale bread when you can have ice cream?  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 12/23/15 at 05:21:45

oldNslow wrote on 12/22/15 at 17:52:08:
http://www.iflscience.com/technology/should-self-driving-car-be-programmed-ki...

Or this. "Honest officer, it wasn't my fault. This is a Microsoft Windows car - and you know how vulnerable these models are to viruses."

"Sorry sir. Shulda bought a Linuxmobile. Turn around and place your hands behind your back. You have the right to remain silent ..."

Grin

Don't worry about it -- MS isn't even on this radar screen at this point.  It is all Linuxmobiles.

Who would want a car that suddenly goes blue screen on you?   Plus Ford has already fired MS as an "in dash" software provider since MS cost them first and second place in JD Powers ranking on a couple of models for having horrible awkward in-dash software.

Look to see Android based software take over the car dash during the next couple of years, especially as the relationship between Google and Ford (and others, to be announced soon) begins to ripen.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/23/15 at 06:36:14

I'd love a self driving car, myself, especially on the longer trips

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/23/15 at 11:24:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/23/15 at 05:21:45:
oldNslow wrote on 12/22/15 at 17:52:08:

Grin

Don't worry about it -- MS isn't even on this radar screen at this point.  It is all Linuxmobiles.

Who would want a car that suddenly goes blue screen on you?   Plus Ford has already fired MS as an "in dash" software provider since MS cost them first and second place in JD Powers ranking on a couple of models for having horrible awkward in-dash software.

Look to see Android based software take over the car dash during the next couple of years, especially as the relationship between Google and Ford (and others, to be announced soon) begins to ripen.

Pffffffft!! Tongue

Ever heard of a kernel panic? It's the Linux/Unix/Mac version of Window's BSOD. And, yes, I've had Linux crash on me before, especially when the thing fails to wake properly from sleep.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 12/23/15 at 11:41:31

I've heard of kernel panics, but I have never had one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

Reading this, it says it is a Unix issue and all functional references I see go to Macs (Apple).

============================

Asking specifically for Linux kernel panics, I get this ....

http://askubuntu.com/questions/35722/what-is-kernel-panic

..... which says it is an interrupted boot sequence which is generally auto corrected and rebooted automatically.

It also says to fix the issue go to the main stable branch of Ubuntu, so in Linux Mint I likely have never had one as Mint is Ubuntu stable twice refined.

Checking Mint and Centos forums (debian and redhat groups noted for stability) I get isolated issues related to an upgrade not done off a live DVD, which allowed mixing of dependencies/versions.

So, yes you can get one by doing dumb upgrade things, but it also tells me not to do that sort of stuff.

Think of it this way, the good Linux systems are upgraded by YOU, rarely, using a downloaded Live CD that is known to be complete, healthy and working well before it is put out there (if you are smart, anyway).

Contrast this with Windows 10 which is a UNCONTROLLED automatic ongoing collage of nightly downloads on some files that have been patched a hundred times or more in only a month's time.

Which will be more reliable?

Roll Eyes

duh ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/23/15 at 13:44:06

I rarely even turn the radio on, and then it's in the car, an automatic.
The pickup? I probably haven't had the radio on for an hour,total, in the years I've had it. The CB, yeah, but I enjoy the experience of driving, listening to the the engine, changing gears, watching what is going on around me. Do interstate miles get boring? Yeah, BUT, I would rather deal with that than be "encentivized  " to be a passenger, in a vehicle that is set to take me where I set the GPS to go. Initially, this technology will be promoted as Cool and Trendy and Responsible and insurance companies will be discounting rates for those vehicles, then the rates for You driving yourself will increase.
And, what Can be done with a vehicle that is so controlled electronically is kinda scary. Who will be able to just shut it off? What if it becomes socially irresponsible to just go for a ride? How do you just hop in the car and go riding aimlessly, looking around neighborhoods for Christmas lights? How do YOU decide,
Hey, I've never been down that street before, I think I wanna check out that neighborhood....
What happens to
Cruising the drag?
I see it as a bad thing in the long run. I see some benefits, but they are far outweighed by the loss of the feeling of freedom to just GO.

I CAN see an entrepreneur buying several and dispatching them as taxis. Imagine a wheelchair bound person, home alone, the others are at work,, make a call, a small van pulls up, roll out, onto the lift, smile at the camera, tell it where you need to go, and off to the store or doctor, whatever,, swipe the card, trip is paid for. Pay for holding it, or, call for a ride home.
Have a few vehicles to carry eight or ten, haul people home who have been out drinking. That's not gonna last forever, because Those people will be buying one. Imagine, falling in the back seat, pushing the
Take me home
button, and waking up in the driveway at nine A.M..
Beats waking up in a holding cell...or, the ER.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/25/15 at 07:12:33

Shhhh, don't talk about Linux crashes.... they don't like to say that their perfect software has flaws.
My little 14 inch laptop had a "critical error" and wouldn't boot up so I put windows vista back on it instead of taking the Linux disc and reloading it... would have taken me maybe 15 minutes vers the 3 days it took windows to reload.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 12/26/15 at 17:53:14

You know, you guys could try to speak about current Linux installations instead of recounting things from over a year ago.

And yes, no operating system is perfect (although Chrome OS on a Chromebook comes as close as anything has so far).

But ChromeOS is not perfect either, as it too has people as users who do strange things, and then they do powerwashes to fix what they had just fouled up -- but (credit where credit is due) a powerwash so far is flaw free and it takes just 10 minutes to do and then Google puts back all your active settings and past work from off of your Google Drive account so in 15 minutes you can totally "redo" your machine with practically no effort on your part.

Schools powerwash classroom machines all the time for little or no reason, as they can rack the machine afterwards as "updated totally and known to be good".

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 12/28/15 at 08:34:43

old_rider wrote on 12/25/15 at 07:12:33:
Shhhh, don't talk about Linux crashes.... they don't like to say that their perfect software has flaws.
My little 14 inch laptop had a "critical error" and wouldn't boot up so I put windows vista back on it instead of taking the Linux disc and reloading it... would have taken me maybe 15 minutes vers the 3 days it took windows to reload.

Question:  

Did your hardware have any sort of hard drive sector illnesses or CMOS battery issues?  

Since kernel panics in the Ubuntu family are limited pretty much to boot up issues this would seem to be a fair question.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:30:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ford partners with Google on self-driving cars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.