cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Honda 400
Reply #15 - 12/22/15 at 19:17:49

Any opinions?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 12/23/15 at 06:48:25

Nobody will steal a Ninja 250 / 500 anyway, they're one of motorcycling's best kept secrets
And you're right that the EX series is more a 'sport standard' than a true crotch rocket
They're very good bikes, when in good shape, the only thing I dislike about them is the way the handlebars are mounted, makes it hard to change to a more upright seating position if you want to
for $280 I'd likely get it if it runs half decent (I've had 2 Ninja 5s, and would happily buy another, especially if I could get the last one back)

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #17 - 12/23/15 at 12:47:54

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/22/15 at 19:17:49:
Any opinions?

Sure. Here goes: I f...ing hate ninjas. I can't stand the foul noise they make, and it only gets worse when put loud pipes on them. Every second dickweed witha learners or provisional licence gets one and thinks they are road gods, even though they don't realise they can't ride for s..t. I had a go on a ninja 300 and it was a lovely motorcycle but for that Noise. Handled like a dream and goes pretty well.
IMNSHO, ymmv, no offense to ninja lovers  etc.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #18 - 12/23/15 at 14:13:38

Turns out that the owner (or his father, in this case) never got around to titling the thing, so I'll have to wait till after Christmas so his father can title it. I'm not about to risk legal exposure over this. I ain't buyin' it without the title in the name of the man who's selling it to me.  Wink Not sure exactly how that works, though. I would assume that one needs to title something (and pay associated taxes) before reselling it? At the least, it gives the documentation to cover me in case something goes wrong.

To beat all, the boy lost the key to the thing. Tongue Now ain't that shady! Tongue

In the ad, he said he had "clean title and registration." Hmmm...  Huh It's a title, at least Tongue.

I'll give him a chance, anyway Wink

Gotta be careful. There's a lot of scams and stolen goods out there on Craigslist. Buying cheap comes with risks.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 12/23/15 at 15:54:45

More opinions are welcome.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 12/23/15 at 16:03:46

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/23/15 at 15:54:45:

That Kardashian girl's butt, is way too big.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 12/23/15 at 16:06:18

After a similar experience, buying a bike from "2nd owner," who never titled or registered it, I will NEVER EVER buy one without clear title in the seller's name...period. It took me 4 months and a "shadey" notary public to get that mess sorted out.

The Ninja owner has already misrepresented the bike to you. I'd say either pass on it or  check the seller's I.D. against the title and whether or not it has any lein on it.

On 2nd thought....just pass....my "2¢ worth."

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #22 - 12/23/15 at 17:03:40

One time I ran into a Craigslist scam. It was a cheap Goldwing trike. The "owner" or something  Roll Eyes gave my Mom some crazy complicated story which included the bike being in a storage facility in some other state and the shipping being paid for, or some big bunch of crazy stuff like that. I went to checking it out, and it turns out that the bike was actually on EBay for way more money. That scammer just pulled the pics off EBay. Now ain't that something!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 12/25/15 at 07:04:00

Um, I have a ninja 300, with the original exhaust... and it is quiet... not noisy, so if you buy one, put it back to OEM specs.
My only gripe with it was too short of gearing, I put a bigger tooth sprocket on front, haven't messed with the back.
I've ridden from florida to Illinois on it, from florida to north Carolina.....
Anywho..... if that ninja sounded awful.... it didn't have original pipes on it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 12/25/15 at 08:58:48

I concur with OR, my first Ninja 500 was annoying at freeway speeds, but it was OLD, and the baffles were likely half rotted
the 07 I had was nice and quiet, at 70-100 it hummed along beautifully
Only reason I don't still have it is long rides on it made my hips hurt due to riding posture (I have short arms and a long torso, so I am leaned forward more than most folks on these machines, and I have very tight hips)
The Ninja 250, 500, 650, 250, and 300 are all great bikes

One possible point of confusion ; Kawasaki has TWO Ninja lines
the true sport bikes are ZX600, 1000, 1400, etc
the 250, 300, 500 (now defunct) and 650 are EX models, and more sporty commuter bikes that true sportbikes
ZX models are all inline 4s, EX models are parallel twins

just so we're all on the same page RE Ninjas

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 12/25/15 at 09:00:24

Serowbot wrote on 12/23/15 at 16:03:46:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/23/15 at 15:54:45:

That Kardashian girl's butt, is way too big.... Huh

I also concur with this

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #26 - 12/31/15 at 12:28:34

Well, it turns out that, after procrastinating through the holidays-- and longer-- in order to give them the chance to get the title straightened out and give me a chance to deal with the one who legally owned the bike (his Dad), I gave him one more phone call to keep in touch.

Lo, and behold... the guy's Dad supposedly went to the DMV, and they wouldn't give him a title. Supposedly, he would have to file for a lost title.

Now this boy is talking about getting a company to part out the bike, and dropped the price to $100. He said he bought it from Craigslist.

I talked to my folks about it, and it seems to me that these 3 possibilities exist:

1. He stole it, knows it's stolen, doesn't trust the origin of the bike, or otherwise doesn't feel safe with it.

2. He's lazy and would rather take a loss and be done with it than bother with parting it out himself.

3. Any combination of the above.

"He" can also include his Dad.

I kinda wonder just how honest the boy is being with me. Huh

I am pretty confident I'll just pass this one up. Wink

And that's how you deal with shady deals-- You make your terms based on legal and common sense, and you stick to your guns. Wink If it's a good, honest deal, it will work... if not, it won't. If they are offended, that is unfortunate. It's a litmus test, I guess.

The worst possibility is when you find out something bad, and the bad guy feels like he has to kill you to keep you quiet. Sad

Maybe Dad was right to insist on going with me to meet this bunch (Convieniently, I never had to).

Times like that a fellow could use having a CCW. Gives sticking to your guns a whole new meaning. Wink

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #27 - 12/31/15 at 13:24:03

old_rider wrote on 12/25/15 at 07:04:00:
Um, I have a ninja 300, with the original exhaust... and it is quiet... not noisy, so if you buy one, put it back to OEM specs.
My only gripe with it was too short of gearing, I put a bigger tooth sprocket on front, haven't messed with the back.
I've ridden from florida to Illinois on it, from florida to north Carolina.....
Anywho..... if that ninja sounded awful.... it didn't have original pipes on it.

I don't mind if you like the noise, Old Rider. It's just me that can't stand it. something about it makes me feel like fingernails on a blackboard. Obviously a lot of people feel different, given that every ninja has a loud slip on. I think the stock exhaust also sounds horrible, just quieter.
Of course I'm just funning ya, and if a friend had a Ninja I'd still ride with them. They'd be behind me anyway!!!! Cheesy

Also, I don't mind that Kardashian's butt. Yeah It's big, but I bet it doesn't sound like a Ninja and it is probably just as much fun.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 01/01/16 at 08:38:01

Art Webb wrote on 01/01/16 at 08:37:40:
It might sound just like a Ninja, after some beans  Grin
I get you about nails on a blackboard, that exhaust note sounds like that to me too, with worn out muffs, but that's the 4s, the 2s, they're not that bad
Also, very few people buy the EXs, most like the ZXs, and even fewer put loud pipes on their EXs
Are you sure the annoying bikes you're referring to aren't ZXs? almost ALL ZX riders fit slip ons

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #29 - 01/01/16 at 14:05:31

I mean the 300cc parallel twin Ninja. Don't know about ex v zx, im not that into them that i've noticed different versions. Funny how a British 360 deg twin can sound so good while the ninja has a completely different sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda 400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.