Honda 400 (Read 287 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Honda 400
12/21/15 at 19:34:16

Found an old Honda 400 down the road from where I live for $300. It's weathered, and it doesn't run due to a kill switch issue. The owner basically explained to me that he had stuffed too much grease into the switch box trying to grease the throttle and messed up the kill switch, and no one has driven it since. The owner said he rebuilt the engine and a few other things, and it has been sitting a couple years. I  I'm not sure exactly what model it is. NADA lists it as worth $605 in fair condition. It's another bike to ride and something to learn to work on. Does anyone think I'm creating a money pit, or is $300 safe for a poor boy to spend on an old weathered bike that doesn't run?

« Last Edit: 12/22/15 at 19:15:03 by cheapnewb24 »  

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Honda 400
Reply #1 - 12/21/15 at 19:46:06

Quote:
The owner basically explained to me that he had stuffed too much grease into the switch box trying to grease the throttle and messed up the kill switch,

This is the same guy that "rebuilt" the engine ?

$300 might not necessarily be too much for a bike that doesn't run , but I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it's probably too much to spend on that particular one.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/21/15 at 21:14:41

Add tires, tubes, battery, and probably seat recover,... and you are over $600 on a bike you haven't made run yet...  with stale gas, plugged carbs, and possible rust in the tank...
Then,... you have to rely on the quality of the rebuild, and whatever else is wrong...

Free is too expensive... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 12/21/15 at 22:59:45

Ehhh... Still cheaper than my Savage Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 12/21/15 at 23:41:48

Put a grand on the Savage, not including taxes, tire, and miscellaneous parts, such as grips, pegs, and signals. If I actually got the thing roadworthy with new tires for $600, it would probably be worth it. You're saying it's not worth the gamble, that the chances are not in my favor?

To some degree, I'm actually looking for a cheap fixer-upper I doubt that any bike I get hold of will be a "restoration", but something I can get mechanically good and mess around with, like an ugly rat scrambler or something, or sell for cheap. Why do I say this? Because I don't feel confident as a "restorer." One can spend a lot of money making a something look good and ruin it in a split second.

Why should I pay a fortune for the best of parts, basically replacing everything on it, when I could simply embrace it's raw ugliness with open arms Grin.

Ugly is cheap, produces no burden, and rarely gets in the way of function.

Well... that is until people make fun of you, making you feel ashamed enough to hire a shrink. THEN, After having a bad day seeing your shrink and being made fun of--all because of your butt ugly bike-- something rotten breaks off and causing you to wreck at 80 mph, leaving you with a mortgage and a full body cast Grin

I reckon that if somebody doesn't get hold of that thing soon, there won't be much left of it. It's an old man that has it. He has a few other bikes, including an old Triumph he says he's restoring. For some reason, he's just left it in his yard to rot Sad. Wouldn't be good to let a bike die without a fight Sad. He told me, I think, that there was someone who was willing to give that price but procrastinated due to being laid off from his job. The words he used suggested that his initial price was greater than $300. Shortly after I looked at the bike, weeks before I spoke with him, I thought of $300.

But, Dad advises me to try for a little lower price Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 12/22/15 at 00:43:17

The 400 is tricky. 400/4 done right is worth a fortune.

CB/CM like the Hawk series is worth 5 cents per hundred weight at the melt yard, IF the price of scrap is high. If you are looking at a CB/CM twin, as a serious potential project... Go check into the state hospital, now. Bad electrical system, bad carbs, weak timing chain, failure prone rim rivets (Comstars), bad transmission dogs and shift forks...

I have torn down several dozen 400 twins. And smaller Hawk/Twinstar Hondas. They are junk.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/22/15 at 06:51:42

I bought a new CM450C in 1982 and rode 30,000 trouble-free miles on it, other than 1 chain replacement and 2 sets of tires. Sold it to a friend before I bought my first BMW.

However, I do agree that a non-running "rat bike" 400 twin is virtually worthless. A 400 4-cylinder (the successor to the CB350-4) might be a decent project, but we're still talking a 40-yr-old bike and the scavenger hunt for parts. Are you willing to commit to a possibly long-term project? Have room for it in "coffin corner" of your garage?

Check the gas tank VERY carefully. At that age and level of decrepitude you describe, the only thing holding gas in the tank might be the paint.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/22/15 at 07:57:14

Three hundred bucks doesn't buy much these days and it might be worth the $300 to just have something to tinker with.  I bought $200 dollars of groceries today and it wasn't a big chore to unload the car. I consider getting something to run after many years to be fun and fun is worth some money.  Maybe offer him $150 and show him the cash at the same time.

I bought an old Honda that didn't run for $250 and the guy delivered it.  All it needed was the tank cleaned, the carbs cleaned and the ignition switch circuit repaired.  Then I did a foolish thing, I bought new tires, mirrors and all that sort of thing and now I have at least $600 in it.

The later 450 would also be my choice in those mid-sized Hondas.  And get a title just in case you want to sell it. (And buy another junk project for some more fun)  Good luck and let us know what happens.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 12/22/15 at 09:35:31

WD wrote on 12/22/15 at 00:43:17:
The 400 is tricky. 400/4 done right is worth a fortune.

CB/CM like the Hawk series is worth 5 cents per hundred weight at the melt yard, IF the price of scrap is high. If you are looking at a CB/CM twin, as a serious potential project... Go check into the state hospital, now. Bad electrical system, bad carbs, weak timing chain, failure prone rim rivets (Comstars), bad transmission dogs and shift forks...

I have torn down several dozen 400 twins. And smaller Hawk/Twinstar Hondas. They are junk.

It's a 400 twin Undecided To think of it, I already parts sources found for converting it to a kicker Undecided

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/22/15 at 09:53:59

Well, I'll think about it.  Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 12/22/15 at 09:55:09

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/21/15 at 19:34:16:
Does anyone think I'm creating a money pit, or is $300 safe for a poor boy to spend on an old weathered bike that doesn't run?

I realize now,... that you didn't really want an answer...
You just wanted us to yell "Jump!"...

"JUMP!!!!".... Grin Grin Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/22/15 at 11:30:07

Buying a motorcycle that doesn't run and has an engine that was previously "rebuilt" is never a good thing.  You have no idea if the person did the job correctly..............especially if the bike is not running.

You would be better off to get your Savage running again, put some miles on it, then sell the Savage and buy a different "running" bike if you find the Savage doesn't do what you want to do.  With your limited mechanical ability and limited funds, the last thing you need is a 2nd non-running motorcycle project in the garage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/22/15 at 12:56:24

Uhhhh.... Ahem... Huh

I rode the Savage to look at the darned thing! Grin

Anyway, the throttle, kill switch, and brakes are more or less stuck or don't work, the seat cover is rotted off, the tires are rotten, the saddlebags are rotten, and the thing hasn't been tagged since '09 Tongue That doesn't count the ugly paint job on the tank Tongue.

He (kindly) let me know that he'd let the thing rot in his yard before he'd drop below $300. He's still holding out on that other fellow buying it.

A shame! If He'd just sell it cheap, say $100-200, or better yet give it away, Shocked someone would have the chance to salvage this thing before there's nothing left  Sad It's a shame to let old bikes die like that Sad. But then, we have our share of things rotting down in the yard, especially the old VW Rabbit Convertible, but that's another story Sad. That doesn't count the MGB-GT's I let go. On occasion, a wave of regret hits me  :'( . Well, maybe not quite crying...usually...I don't know Roll Eyes... but it gets pretty sad sometimes. Undecided

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 12/22/15 at 13:07:26

How about a Ninja 250 for $280. It supposedly runs...kinda Roll Eyes Cheesy

Might make a good project... give me some mechanical experience on a popular modern bike? I was thinking of a cheap ugly rat scrambler? Rip the fairings off (what's not already broken), put dirt tires on it... maybe some other tweaks like shocks or something and call it a poor man's dual sport?

Or am I talkin' crazy? Grin

Besides, them ninjas sell like hot cakes, probably even 250s, and they bring a good price. Hey, if it's in too bad a shape, I could part it out. I wouldn't think it's nearly as rotten as that other bike Tongue

I gather that some people have scramblerized ninjas, and they look pretty darn good Shocked.

Besides, I've never ridden a crotch rocket before Cool... assuming it even has sport seating Roll Eyes. Some of them are standards, I think.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 12/22/15 at 13:11:04

Besides!

If I rip the fairings off and other stuff so that it doesn't look like a Ninja, maybe then no one will steal it Grin

It's not a Ninja.... It's a Watchamamamacalllittt! Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 12/22/15 at 19:17:21 by cheapnewb24 »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:22:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda 400

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.