Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
On the road flat tire fixes....? (Read 234 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: On the road flat tire fixes....?
Reply #15 - 12/20/15 at 11:14:06

Very cool, Rick. Have you tried your set up to lift the rear wheel? I was thinking that the muffler mount might be a good spot if your screwjack would fit under it. Also, one would have to immobilize the front wheel to avoid rolling off the stand. I thought some parachute cord, tied to a fork leg and two of the spokes ( 1 in front of fork leg, 1 behind), perhaps?

Another note/tip for on the road tire repair: replace 1 or both valve stem caps with the metal caps that encorporate a valve core removal/installation "tool." One less thing to go in the toolbag. Most auto parts stores have them. I just bought a set of 4 at O'Reilly's for about $3.50.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/20/15 at 12:09:19

since you like to immobilize the front and prevent it from turning...
best place to do that is from footpeg to wheel, wrap twice, then to other footpeg.

i used a ratchet strap w/out wrapping and it worked well to keep the wheel straight.  it also locked the wheel up too.

WWW   IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/20/15 at 15:44:22

Good idea, that ratchet strap. I'm thinking along the lines of "What would I have on hand on a trip?" I always carry a goodly hank of 550 parachute cord in my camp gear, so running it thru the spokes and back to tie points like the forward control mounts or footpegs might just do the trick, too.

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #18 - 12/20/15 at 20:22:35

I have used those cans of Flat Fix, the aerosol can that sprays in some sort of sealant.  They do work on tubes.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 12/21/15 at 08:34:24

Hmmm, I know some folks who weld

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 12/21/15 at 17:22:17

I had a flat once because the rim strip snapped. Anyone have the name of the company that will weld the spokes (or whatever they do)? I'm just curious. It may help someone else. I probably won't alter mine.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #21 - 12/22/15 at 11:05:16

Flint wrote on 12/20/15 at 20:22:35:
I have used those cans of Flat Fix, the aerosol can that sprays in some sort of sealant.  They do work on tubes.

This just happened to me yesterday, 1st can went straight to the street, 2nd can went mostly to the street and I rode for the required time/distance. 3rd can held air, which was fortunate because I only had the 3 cans.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/23/15 at 07:22:31

@ Dane Allen...

I've used Fix-a-Flat on tubeless car tires with fairly good results, but won't use it on motorcycle tube tires. It would be a temporary fix, and a potential sticky mess when one gets home and does a permanent repair.

I used to carry a spare front & rear tube on my '82 BMW - they fit nicely in the bottom of the fairing pockets - just in case the punctured tube ripped and was not patchable. Must have satisfied the Murphy Gremlins, since I never had to use them!  Smiley

(BTW, the "Rodger Corollary" to Murphy's Law:. "Murphy was an OPTIMIST!!".  Grin )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › On the road flat tire fixes....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.