Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
On the road flat tire fixes....? (Read 234 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

On the road flat tire fixes....?
12/18/15 at 11:33:04

After the thread started by "jjthejetplane" (sp?), describing picking up a nail in her rear tire, I got to wondering about roadside repairs to flat tires. A patch kit, 2 tire irons, & my old BMW manual pump could fix the tube, but the lack of a centerstand makes it problematic to get either wheel off the bike to GET to the tube.

I did a search for flat tire repair but didn't see any relevant info. Has anyone addressed this? (I have some ideas "percolating," but thought I'd ask before re-inventing the wheel.)

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: On the road flat tire fixes....?
Reply #1 - 12/18/15 at 11:34:23

My answer is my AMA membership with roadside assistance  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/18/15 at 11:44:39

LOL...and it's a good answer, but many areas in Colorado & Wyoming have little or no cell service. I prefer "the road less taken"...with a nod to Robert Frost.   Wink

I've been lucky (fingers crossed!). The only time I had to fix a punctured tire was on my Honda CM450, & that was a tubeless, so just plugged it, pumped it up and continued. Nonetheless, I still carry tire tools when on a trip.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/18/15 at 15:44:49

I had a very nice stranger haul me and my bike home in his truck. Good Samaritans are hard to find these days!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #4 - 12/18/15 at 17:45:12

I won't attempt to remove the rear tire on the rode, consequently I have roadside assistance on my insurance.
But, I carry a specialty tow strap that doubles as tie downs that I could use if a good Samaritan would agree to tow/haul me.
I've also designed a jack that allow me to remove the front tire on the rode for repairs- I carry bead-breaker irons, patch kit and a compact motorcycle air compressor.
I've not had to make a roadside repair, but I've done the breakdown and reinstall at home to make sure I can do it if necessary.
On a long trip I carry front and rear spare tubes. Most any shop could do the replacement, but not likely they would have the size I need in stock.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/18/15 at 20:06:02

the problem is, as stated the lack of a way to hold the bike up
A centerstand would be best
A jackstand would work for me, I can lift either end of my bike that high
but where, on a savage, would you carry such a wonder?
I pray for cinder blocks, if it ever happens again

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/18/15 at 21:47:51

Next time you're out in the middle of no where, stop.
If you can't find something to prop your bike up so you can get the wheel off... pray.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 12/18/15 at 22:59:09

Pack whatever you think you can use, but I have wrestled the rear tire in the shop and there is no way I would ever choose to do it again.
The front is another matter. That's a possible, even for me. I'm pretty sure I've seen some guys say they have done the rear at home.. I Got it, but it was way past what I called
Saving Money.
But, on the road, it's not just about saving money. It's about getting unstranded.
I hope if you need a tire before you're forced to try a roadside repair you give it a go. Quite a difference between roadside and shop.
I don't have any idea how to get the rear tire off on the road.
In an emergency ,the tank can be removed, but having ...

Bedtime beckons.. I'll finish later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #8 - 12/19/15 at 14:56:28

Here's the jack set-up I referred to in the previous post for at least changing the front tire (unfortunately my digital camera just started malfunctioning before I could get a close-up of the jack). It's simply a base plate with a nut welded to it. A length of threaded rod screws into it. A second nut moves a piece of steel tubing up or down on the rod. The bike frame rests in a rubber-padded steel cradle that's welded to the top of the tubing. Completely assembled and in the lowest position, it measures about 6". I use an old, shortened open-end wrench to crank it up and down. It all breaks down to fit in a small pouch.

I first secure the handle bars with straps back to the passenger foot-pegs so that the front tire is line with the rear because:

1)The bike balances much better this way when jacked up.

2) It's much easier access for working than when turned to the side.

3)less jacking height is required for dropping the wheel out.

The jack is positioned directly across from the kickstand- good triangulation and stable in the raised position.

I also wedge the hand brake lever in the open position so as to not accidently close the brake calipers when the wheel is removed.

This probably sounds more complicated than it is- its fast and easy.  I've done this outside in the gravel and grass- it works fine.

Rick in Indiana

bigger size helps -v1

« Last Edit: 12/19/15 at 16:19:57 by verslagen1 »  

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/19/15 at 16:22:20

good idea rick, might even work in the back.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 12/20/15 at 03:08:56

I think the side stand is too far forward to make doing that with the back wheel a safe proposition. Too much weight on it I think. I had a shot at it one day and decided against it. The jacking point under the battery is better.
On dirt bikes, with the side stand a lot further back, is easy to remove front or rear that way, just using a stick to hold that side up. No problem.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/20/15 at 07:06:40

@rijopiatt

I have a similar idea, using 1/2 galvanized plumbing pipe pieces, nuts, washers, & some all-thread. I don't weld, but thinking that steel electrical conduit might work, too.

Time to do some measuring & head to Home Depot!! Updates will follow.

Have a Merry Christmas, y'all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/20/15 at 08:36:25

Tent stakes and light rope. SOME stability would beat nothing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #13 - 12/20/15 at 09:57:48

Here's my jack:
1)base- 3/16" x 2" x 5" steel with long measurement turned 90 degrees to bike frame for best stability. 2" measurement allows more compact storage.
2)standard 5/8" nut spot/mig welded to base.
3)5/8" threaded rod
4)5/8" hardened nut for cranking up and down
5)5/8" I.D. bronze bushing between tube and hardened nut to eliminate binding (just because I'm anal about stuff like this).
6)galvanized tube
7)galvanized cradle (with rubber pad) cut from tubing and spot/mig welded to tube.

I'm a marginal welder- welds are strong, but ugly. Additionally, I've not learned to manipulate the size of photos I insert. Sorry Embarrassed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/20/15 at 10:34:41

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:32:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › On the road flat tire fixes....?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.