Winter dreaming... (Read 93 times)
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Winter dreaming...
12/18/15 at 08:31:16

I've had "Thumper" for exactly one year and 3,100 miles now, and with the cold snap I'm having with drawl symptoms.    One of said symptoms is planning some (doable) fantasy rides.   Smiley  The one I came up with is a visit, via two lane backroads, to my daughter's family in Pennsylvania. I can do New Mexico to Pennsylvania. ...  Highway 47 to Highway 60 to highway 54 (New Mexico) to Highway 50 (Kansas ) to (West Virginia) Highway 220 north.... Five or six days easy putting along enjoying the scenery  Cool Cool   
So, who else looks at a map and thinks of spending a couple of weeks on Highway 1 /101 up or down the west coast Mexico to Canada ??? Or.... ???   Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Winter dreaming...
Reply #1 - 12/18/15 at 09:08:12

We do look at maps every year, looking for the mythical better roads.

Our last real find that was really better was Hwy 32 at the NC/Tennessee boarder off I-40.   That's 3-4 years old now, and it is getting harder to find better roads than the ones we ride regularly.

Longer putt putt trips, once I am retired and if my body is still able, MM and I will go do a long trip to see how they go.

I have never seen the Grand Canyon nor Yellowstone park, nor New Orleans French Quarter, etc.

While at Blue Ridge we see folks who are on their "long trip" as everywhere else stops by the Dragon Area as a required stop.   Some of those trips have been the sorta drastic long types of trips .......   and some have been shorter than planned.

Smiley

Jebb has vowed revenge in his heart and he plans to buy a 600c Suzuki GSXR to use to execute his revenge on me .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/18/15 at 09:09:48

Hey old.indian, that sounds pretty neat to me. I am not retired yet so I cannot afford that kind of time. But if you have the time there is not better way to spend it than doing something you enjoy and being with family you love. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 12/18/15 at 15:37:52

springman wrote on 12/18/15 at 09:09:48:
Hey old.indian, that sounds pretty neat to me. I am not retired yet so I cannot afford that kind of time. But if you have the time there is not better way to spend it than doing something you enjoy and being with family you love. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

I couldn't have said it better!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/18/15 at 15:49:20

Winter dreaming...  It's winter planning for me.  This last year I put on about 11.5K on my two bikes.  I'm starting to plan a 4K trip for next summer.  500 miles a day is pretty enjoyable; although, I usually end up pushing it to 600 and wearing myself out.  Regardless, I'm not getting any younger....

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 12/18/15 at 17:58:28

a road trip down thru BAJA sounds awesome. I would take one into Mexico but a bit put off doing that being a gringo

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 12/18/15 at 18:16:21

DesertRat wrote on 12/18/15 at 17:58:28:
a road trip down thru BAJA sounds awesome. I would take one into Mexico but a bit put off doing that being a gringo

Grin Grin Baja ???? This from a guy who complains that it gets TOO HOT to ride in Arizona...  Wink

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 12/18/15 at 18:39:53

ball buster ...  Wink

BAJA WEATHER

PHOENIX WEATHER

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/18/15 at 19:01:21

It's not the heat that'll kill ya. It's the humidity.   Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 12/18/15 at 19:55:29

But it's a DRY heat
Yeah, so you burst into flames
Kidding, I LOVED Arizone
note that I did NOT  say Yuma, that I avoided like the plague  Grin

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 12/18/15 at 20:55:34

pg wrote on 12/18/15 at 15:49:20:
 Regardless, I'm not getting any younger....

Best regards,

Dude I am starting to feel the same thing this last couple years: Time to get off my crack and do some rides I've been dreaming about. Phillip Island, Victorian high country, Great Ocean Road and the Oxley Highway are on the list of things to do. Too bad about all the miles between me and them...but will have to suck them up I guess.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 12/19/15 at 04:39:43

How far are you from the great ocean road?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #12 - 12/19/15 at 08:35:14

may your trip return you like this:

Quote:
Doug from Bama... hardcore.. not many like him.. this is when he came out of his road trip from Europe across Siberia... road of bones... showed up in Magadan, easternmost town in Russia.. no problem. - Jasson

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 12/19/15 at 14:42:35

pg wrote on 12/19/15 at 04:39:43:
How far are you from the great ocean road?

Best regards,

I'm about 600 km from the GOR. Only a day's ride away but once I'm there, I'd need a week or two to do my thing. I do go over there semi regularly and it's no big deal by car. I just need to be bringing lots of stuff with me when I go there: Surfboards, paragliding kit, climbing gear, RC gliders. The bike trip will get done though. It's on the List for next autumn.

The Oxley Highway is about 1700km from me, so at least 3 days away by single cylinder cafe racer. Ouch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Winter dreaming...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.