Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Belt drive vs. chain drive? (Read 104 times)
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Belt drive vs. chain drive?
12/15/15 at 21:54:11

If converted to chain drive we can change ratios. But what does it do to rideability if a taller ratio is achieved with sprockets?  Is the power band so wide that it really doesn't matter?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Belt drive vs. chain drive?
Reply #1 - 12/15/15 at 22:05:08

There is a complete story about swapping it to chain in the Tech section. I couldn't find it, maybe you can. Barry Hutchinson did the groundbreaking and someone else decided to do it alongside.
Barry died about mid 2012, I think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 12/15/15 at 22:06:26

The power band is so wide that when I get to third (4 speed box) I rarely have to change gears until the next traffic lights. The rubber belt does a wonderful job of smoothing out driveline snatch and vibrations. And no tensioningor chain lube mess to worry about. I love it. I'd have all my bikes belt drive if it were an easy conversion.
I don't really care about the ratios and if it could be different. I just ride it for what it is. YMMV etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/16/15 at 01:58:07

There is a Table of Contents in the Tech Section, and it has a lot of information available there.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

The Chain thread is here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1174239333

The Kawasaki Pulley change is here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384949185

Both will work with the stock engine HP - but will slow the acceleration down some.  And....your 4th gear will get a lot more use as sometimes 5th is just geared too high after the change.  A modified engine makes the taller gearing work better, as the increased power restores the performance lost with the taller gears.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 12/16/15 at 19:40:32

The chain conversion makes the savage more highway friendly with the chain confersion, I did it but then sold the savage. Are you interested in a chain coversion? I stll have mine but no Savage  Wink

JTR816-43 REAR SPROCKET
JTR513-17 FRONT SPROCKET
530 VOLAR O-RING CHAIN 120 LINK

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/17/15 at 06:19:26

Yoshi wrote on 12/16/15 at 19:40:32:
The chain conversion makes the savage more highway friendly with the chain confersion, I did it but then sold the savage. Are you interested in a chain coversion? I stll have mine but no Savage  Wink

JTR816-43 REAR SPROCKET
JTR513-17 FRONT SPROCKET
530 VOLAR O-RING CHAIN 120 LINK

Did you have chain clearance issues with the 43 rear?  I've been thinking of doing the conversion but I was thinking that a 48 rear and a 19 front would work.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:38:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt drive vs. chain drive?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.