SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: 4th to 5th gear ?
Reply #30 - 12/22/15 at 08:06:13

chzeckmate wrote on 12/21/15 at 19:07:34:
Art Webb wrote on 12/21/15 at 08:28:20:
I seriously want that F model

If you want the F model now just wait until you sit on one and feel the ergonomics of it.  You're stomach will flutter and you'll feel incomplete.  Honda really has outdone themselves with these three bikes.  

too late, already did it

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 12/22/15 at 09:18:05

Art Webb wrote on 12/22/15 at 08:06:13:
chzeckmate wrote on 12/21/15 at 19:07:34:
Art Webb wrote on 12/21/15 at 08:28:20:
I seriously want that F model

If you want the F model now just wait until you sit on one and feel the ergonomics of it.  You're stomach will flutter and you'll feel incomplete.  Honda really has outdone themselves with these three bikes.  

too late, already did it

Smiley I'm getting really excited about getting mine next month.  I'm planning for January 20th...the anticipation is unbearable.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #32 - 12/23/15 at 07:24:47

I haven't the funds at the moment (or the credit) or I'd pull the trigger, the Savage ain't getting it for thr 70 MPH commute to work

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #33 - 12/23/15 at 08:04:11

Art Webb wrote on 12/23/15 at 07:24:47:
I haven't the funds at the moment (or the credit) or I'd pull the trigger, the Savage ain't getting it for thr 70 MPH commute to work

Really?  My S40 hums along nicely at 70mph.  If I didn't have a windshield it might be uncomfortable for any length of time, but it'll do it just fine.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 12/23/15 at 09:03:52

I only drive "65" but sometimes dyslexia when inverted.

WWW   IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #35 - 12/23/15 at 14:26:54

If I were to buy a new bike it would be the Moto Guzzi V7.  It is about 60 pounds heavier than the Savage but has about 10 more HP and a huge gas tank.  Plus they sound cool Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #36 - 12/23/15 at 18:40:55

chzeckmate wrote on 12/23/15 at 08:04:11:

Really?  My S40 hums along nicely at 70mph.  If I didn't have a windshield it might be uncomfortable for any length of time, but it'll do it just fine.

Yeah, I remember one time on the interstate-- 70-75 mph can get pretty relaxing if the conditions are right. However, on the way home, once it started getting dark and cold, my neck got tired Roll Eyes. Mine has no windshield. Maybe cold weather makes the fatigue worse?

Commuting on the superslab with the Savage shouldn't be too bad, as long as its not a really long commute.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #37 - 12/23/15 at 19:08:26

Dave wrote on 12/17/15 at 12:00:31:
I believe the Savage could be a bike for a new rider.....I don't agree it should be the bike that they get on for their first ever attempt to ride a motorcycle.

A Savage will work just fine once the new rider has gotten the coordination required to use the throttle/clutch/brakes in unison.  It has just a bit too much torque for someone that is still a bit clumsy with the throttle control.

Really? I took the MSF course with those little 250s. They are so low geared, you have to slip the clutch when doing maneuvers to keep them from jerking about. They may not have much acceleration; however, the Savage has a mild throttle response, the clutch is soft, and the power delivery smooth due to the nature of the engine and the gearing. Is it possible to get into trouble with the Savage's torque? Possibly, especially on dirt.

Please explain to me exactly why the MSF people are so worried about torque, even if it's gentle torque?

Going around curves, you may need to be more careful, and be more cautious when flogging it off the line, but it's not like the thing is going to flip over backwards and do out of control burnouts every time you goose it.  Tongue --At least not with the stock engine, clutch, and gearing.

Torque alone is nothing to worry about apart from a jolt of a take off, in my opinion. However, torque+zippiness=disaster (crotch rocket) in my opinion.

Actually, I should say that better : torque+rpms=horsepower=potential disaster. Add zippiness to that, and you have even worse.

However zippiness + rpms - torque = weedeater Tongue

I don't really have much experience with 250s apart from the parking lot MSF course. I get a lot of info from the Internet (common [mechanical] sense helps), so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

I just thought I would say something about this. The point is that even though the Savage has torque, it's not a whole lot, and its control and delivery is rather gentle at that. Again, I don't really have alot of experience to say. Yeah, maybe the 250 will bog before it jolts in the curves (at speed, not in low gears).

The Savage doesn't seem very hard to control. That's the point. My Dad's Shadow 750 is an entirely different animal, however. But then, it needs some tuning.

From what I gather, dirt riders like singles partly because they are torquey but not zippy. (Helps traction) Or am I mistaken?

This whole thing reminds me of that comedy where that idiot jumps on a big cruiser and wheelies into a house. Grin Now that torque proved problematic Wink

What's the name of that movie? You see that clip in the trailer.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #38 - 12/23/15 at 19:33:50

When I tried out the 750 that my Dad would end up with, I was rather worried that it was a little much for me, especially with the PO's obstacle course of a driveway. When I test drove the Savage, it was pretty good. I was a little nervous, and not well coordinated, being a beginner. It was the first time I drove a motorcycle at normal road speeds Shocked. However, I could at least handle the thing, and I might say that the Savage is easy-peasy. On the other hand, since that  last crash, it will take awhile to regain trust.

Are there easier bikes? Maybe. Those little dual sports seem awful easy at low speeds, and the GZ250 I rode seemed fun in the parking lot, but I have no experience at high speeds.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #39 - 12/23/15 at 23:25:49

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/23/15 at 19:08:26:
...Going around curves, you may need to be more careful, and be more cautious when flogging it off the line, but it's not like the thing is going to flip over backwards and do out of control burnouts every time you goose it.  --At least not with the stock engine, clutch, and gearing.
Torque alone is nothing to worry about apart from a jolt of a take off, in my opinion.

...This whole thing reminds me of that comedy where that idiot jumps on a big cruiser and wheelies into a house. Now that torque proved problematic Wink

I don't have 1000 words to spend on this, but here's a video that should help illustrate my point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ifLQPtgto

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 12/24/15 at 05:32:55

With a small, low HP, low torque bike you will stall the engine if you get a bit uncoordinated with the clutch and throttle.....with a torquey bike you will most likely accelerate faster than the first time rider has the skill to control

This video is pretty typical of a rider who has never ridden a bike before and is taking his first ride.  They don't instantly understand how the throttle or clutch of brake works....it is a process that takes a little bit to learn.  Thankfully on this one the rear wheel was in the grass and the bike spun the rear wheel and the bike didn't build up much speed.  If this bike was a Savage and it had all been done on pavement where the bike got a lot of traction......it would have been a bad crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbb0jCy3cp0

You are a new rider, and when you get more experience and actually try and teach some first time riders.....you will get an understanding about how easily folks can get hurt on that first attempt. A low torque, low weight, low HP bike is a far safer and better teaching tool.  If the person where to start out on a bike with an automatic clutch that only requires the throttle to be moved to make the bike move.....that is even better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #41 - 12/25/15 at 12:53:59

chzeckmate wrote on 12/23/15 at 08:04:11:

A shield definitely helps
Actually I discovered  I can finance a CB (shocker!) but insurance would be $900+ a tear  Shocked
so much for that Idea
I have the option of a Swing (or I could get a shield.....and highway bars for crippled knees)

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #42 - 12/25/15 at 15:48:49

Dave wrote on 12/24/15 at 05:32:55:
If the person where to start out on a bike with an automatic clutch that only requires the throttle to be moved to make the bike move.....that is even better.

That's what I did for our kids and girl. They faired better, and it helped to remove just one more thing they had to learn at once to get going.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #43 - 12/26/15 at 01:46:08

70mph should be around 4500 rpm or a little more on a standard 5 speed with a 140/90 rear tyre, I don't have difficulty with it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #44 - 12/26/15 at 17:24:57

I don't have difficulty with it, but the bike isn't happy there all the time, , either
riding a Savage at 70 sometimes is fine
riding it there all the time will wear the thing out prematurely

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4th to 5th gear ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.