Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting them in Storage! (Read 90 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Putting them in Storage!
12/14/15 at 07:08:29

Over the weekend we had weather that was up in the high 60's, and I was able to squeeze in a couple of short rides.  On Sunday I washed the Honda ST1100 and the Ninja 250 and took them both on a short ride to get the water blown out of them.  I then drained the fuel tanks, and put a couple of quarts of Avgas 100LL in, and went for a ride around the neighborhood to get the E10 pump gas out of the carbs and the Avgas in.  Then I disconnected the fuel pump on the ST and ran it until the carbs were out of gas, and on the Ninja I opened the float bowl drain screw and emptied the carbs.  I added air in the tires, and I will most likely take out the spark plugs and spray in some Sta-Bil Fogging oil....and then cover them up for winter.  The Battery Tender will be attached about once a month to top up the battery.

I will do the same thing to the Savage(s) soon.....and declare that winter has arrived the first time they spread de-icer on the roads.

It was nice to squeeze in one more ride this year - but somehow I believe the good weather has come to an end. Sad

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Putting them in Storage!
Reply #1 - 12/14/15 at 08:04:01

.. that is so sad...   Sad

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/14/15 at 08:14:01

Luckily in Texas out season is pretty much year round, give a week here and a month there

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/14/15 at 08:43:20

DEicer, HA, we don't Have that stuff. Except during Real cold times, then they dump sand on overpasses.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/14/15 at 09:52:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/14/15 at 08:43:20:
DEicer, HA, we don't Have that stuff. Except during Real cold times, then they dump sand on overpasses.

and the sand is just as slick as the ice after the ice melts and the road dries up.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/14/15 at 10:52:06

Up here.....they use different forms of salt...by the truckload.  Folks expect that when they wake up in the morning, the roads will be clear of snow and ice.....they want to be able to drive all year on the same tires.

The salt is really corrosive.  Cars are getting better able to fight off the salt - not so with motorcycles and they corrode horribly if ridden year round.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/14/15 at 16:30:54

Storage? What's that? I ride all year long unless the roads are covered in the white stuff.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 12/14/15 at 16:41:38

Last year, this area had an ice storm, that literally shut down the top part of the state.
Even the emergency vehicles were sliding off the roads.
I was forced by the sheriffs department to turn around and take my wife back home.
I explained to them I was from a cold area and knew how to drive, plus, I have a 4 X 4 and KNOW how to use it. They didn't care....
So I pulled a state trooper out of a ditch on the way home... told him the story, he said thanks for the help, but he couldn't do anything about it as the state said NO to traffic at the time, and I needed to just go back home.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/14/15 at 17:18:31

I have a friend from Minnesota who laughs at us Southerners about how we freak out with 1/2" of ice on the roads! That's called summer in Mn!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/15/15 at 03:52:56

Kris01 wrote on 12/14/15 at 17:18:31:
I have a friend from Minnesota who laughs at us Southerners about how we freak out with 1/2" of ice on the roads! That's called summer in Mn!  Cheesy

I grew up in northern Ohio's snowbelt, and we got lots of snow in the winter.  When winter came you put on your studded snow tires.  Folks had lots of experience driving on snow, and generally were pretty good at it.  When you came to a hill you got a run for it, and then did your best to get up it.....if someone was already on the hill you waited at the bottom until they were done, and then you took your shot at it.

Now I live 300 miles south in northern KY.  Folks attempt to drive through the winter on the same "All Season" tires that may have little tread left on them, and when they come to a hill they all just pile up on it.....if you are waiting on the bottom for the road to clear so you can get a bit of a run - the folks behind you will just go around you and join the hillside mayhem.

We have a long and somewhat steep gravel drive - and when winter brings the slippery stuff I put the Blizzak snow tires on our cars.  A good set of snow tires will last 6 years if we only use them in the winter months, and they are a good investment as our foul weather often starts out as freezing rain, and then switches over to snow.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 12/16/15 at 18:19:03

Rode to my appointment today... nice 64 degrees.... kinda spitting a little with rain.... but rode like they were out to run me over.

Good ride day, i'm taking the Ninja out tomorrow, if it doesn't rain... after Friday i'll probably ride the truck for a bit, until the mouth heals a bit.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/17/15 at 03:29:12

Surprisingly, the first 3 days of this week have been pretty darn nice.  It is cool after dark - but it has been up in the 60's in the daytime.  Unfortunately I have not been able to get home in time to do any riding (I have not yet taken the 2002 S40 out of service).

We are leaving on Saturday Dec 19th to visit family in Sarasota, FL, and we won't be back until the 29th.  I am fairly certain the warm weather will be gone by the time we return.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 12/18/15 at 10:40:18

Seems like lots of folks have relatives in the Bradenton/Sarasota area... my wife's mother lived there.
Friend of mine wants to move down there to be close to his mom.....
I wonder when i'll move there.... LOL Smiley

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 12/18/15 at 15:10:04

20's here all week. 4" of snow Tues. Ridin season is over.��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:34:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Putting them in Storage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.