Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So someone stole the bolts for my brake caliper (Read 128 times)
Phildog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

So someone stole the bolts for my brake caliper
12/14/15 at 00:08:19

I stole them. I still can't believe someone actually did that, but there are jerks out there. Either way my motorcycle is going in the locked garage from now on.

My problem is the bolts while very cheap will take a long time for me to get. Normally I can have parts I need shipped in days, but this one is different for some reason. It could be weeks before I get one, possibly months. Since it's almost winter in Ontario and I'm quickly running out of riding days I really don't want to wait that long.

Is there some other bolts I could get that would work instead? Some bolts for another model of motorcycle or even just home depot? As long as the brake holds in place and I don't damage the threading on the bike I don't really care what I need to do. I really don't want to miss out on the last few days of good riding weather because of some random psychopath who thinks screwing with strangers is funny.

Any help?
« Last Edit: 12/14/15 at 03:10:52 by Dave »  

20151209_212337_S.jpg
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: So someone stole the bolts for my brake calipe
Reply #1 - 12/14/15 at 03:27:26

From here:
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fc4f8700232d0b3d94f/front-caliper

It shows 10x38. I'm pretty sure that means 10mm diameter and 38mm long.  You might be able to find something that is close enough at your local hardware store.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/14/15 at 03:37:19

The thread pitch is also a "fine" thread, and most common Hardware stores will only have the more common "coarse" thread.  I'm guessing that the thread pitch is 1.5......but I don't know that for certain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Phildog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/14/15 at 04:18:35

Will using a coerce thread damage the internals? Either way I'm trying this tomorrow. I need to ride!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/14/15 at 04:43:45

Phildog wrote on 12/14/15 at 04:18:35:
Will using a coerce thread damage the internals? Either way I'm trying this tomorrow. I need to ride!

You can't interchange threads.......you have to use the same diameter and thread pitch as the threaded holes in the caliper.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/14/15 at 06:26:34

I have looked....and I am pretty sure (with youzguys info) that you should try and find a pair of 10mm x1.5 bolts.....38mm long.

If you got a bolt a bit longer you could take up some extra space with some washers on the outside, just under the bolt head.

It shouldn't be impossible to find something that will work.  Often the fine pitch threads can be found in the bolts with allen heads - if you can't find them anywhere else.  You might be able to find something at the AutoParts store - as I believe this is a fairly common size for holding calipers on cars (however they won't be chrome).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/14/15 at 07:31:32

Take a look around in the bushes, not likely these bolts are used anywhere else.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/14/15 at 08:55:06

Auto parts store will likely have 10x 35 or 40 with fine pitch threads, I'm pretty sure Auto Zone did, when I worked there

IP Logged
Phildog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/14/15 at 18:34:12

This morning I went to Canadian tire and picked up some 10 x 40 bolts. I used some locking washers to make up for the lax space. It worked though! My brake is secured again and I'm back on the road. They were a little tight to get in there, but they fit nicely. Now I can ride again! Cheesy

« Last Edit: 12/15/15 at 03:19:20 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/14/15 at 19:19:58

Got a hacksaw?
Small triangle file?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #10 - 12/17/15 at 08:27:18

I'm late to this thread but I've used McMaster-Carr a lot in the past trying to source high strength hardware for a race car. You just need to know the dimensions that you are looking for...and in a lot of cases be ok with getting 10 of them instead of just the 2 that you might need.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 12/17/15 at 09:28:25

Yep, McMaster Carr does a great job.

I recently thought I as blessed when Fastenal opened a store a mile from where I work.  They have a great selection of stuff.  The problem is that all the "in stock" nuts and bolts are in bags of 50 or 100, and when you order the fasteners in smaller quantities, they order them in.....then charge you shipping....and you still have to go back to the store to pick them up when they come in.

Anymore I just order online from them and have them delivered to my office....saves me 2 trips to the store that way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So someone stole the bolts for my brake caliper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.