Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Progressive rear shock bushings? (Read 102 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Progressive rear shock bushings?
12/13/15 at 04:28:07

Okay. So, in my reading up on the possibility of using Sportster shocks on my Savage, I gather that the bushings on Sportser models are 1/2 inch, while Savage shocks are 14mm, meaning that Sportster bushings are too small to fit the Savage shock studs. Is this correct?

I have also read that Progressive makes bushings that can be pressed into sportster shocks that are 14mm. My next question is; can these bushings can be used in non-Progressive made shocks, or is there a proprietary keyway or something that would prohibit it?  Could I fit them to stock Sportster shocks?

Thanks for any help.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Progressive rear shock bushings?
Reply #1 - 12/13/15 at 08:01:43

They are just metal sleeves of varied thickness,... should work with any shock.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #2 - 12/13/15 at 11:20:30

Serowbot wrote on 12/13/15 at 08:01:43:
They are just metal sleeves of varied thickness,... should work with any shock.

Excellent. I was worried that they had built in a failsafe so the bushings could only be used on Progressive products.

So all I'd need to do is press out the old bushings, press in the new ones and go?  Does anyone have a part number offhand maybe to help a guy out? I couldn't find anything after a (admittedly cursory) look on the progressive website...

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/14/15 at 03:40:14

The bushing are not "press in"....the adapters are just thin sleeves that slide over the shock bolt and take up the difference between 1/2" and 14mm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #4 - 12/14/15 at 12:24:10

Dave wrote on 12/14/15 at 03:40:14:
The bushing are not "press in"....the adapters are just thin sleeves that slide over the shock bolt and take up the difference between 1/2" and 14mm.

Okay, I'll admit to being a bit lost here.  I was under the impression that the Savage shock studs on the frame were 14mm, therefore they would be too big to fit in the 1/2" bushings of a set of sportster shocks.  Are the sportster shocks the bigger diameter and gonna be sloppy on the Savage?  Am I bassackwards?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/14/15 at 12:42:28

Smokestack wrote on 12/14/15 at 12:24:10:

Okay, I'll admit to being a bit lost here.  I was under the impression that the Savage shock studs on the frame were 14mm, therefore they would be too big to fit in the 1/2" bushings of a set of sportster shocks.  Are the sportster shocks the bigger diameter and gonna be sloppy on the Savage?  Am I bassackwards?

HD is 1/2" [~13mm] and Suzuki is 14mm.  Progressive has adapter bushings for both.
Progressive has a larger metal sleeve that holds the inner bushing in place.

WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #6 - 12/14/15 at 14:45:51

verslagen1 wrote on 12/14/15 at 12:42:28:
Smokestack wrote on 12/14/15 at 12:24:10:

HD is 1/2" [~13mm] and Suzuki is 14mm.  Progressive has adapter bushings for both.
Progressive has a larger metal sleeve that holds the inner bushing in place.

Okay.  I think I've got it.  How would I go about getting a set of these?  I couldn't find anything on the Progressive site about them...

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/14/15 at 17:45:24

You are correct, the Savage uses a larger diameter bushing than HD.  I bought a short length of seamless stainless steel hydraulic tubing from a local NAPA auto parts store because I was in a hurry and didn't want to order bushings.  The ID was a good fit that gave me adequate clearance over the Suzuki stud and had a fairly thin wall that worked with the rubber bushings I had.  The tubing was a stock item.  I just cut it to length and cleaned up the ends.  I used a lathe but you could do it on a bench with a hack saw and a file.

Steel on steel is not ideal but that is what HD uses and the angular movement is so slight that the SS bushing does not wear the pin.  Put some lubricant on it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/15/15 at 03:21:25

Smokestack:

If you want the Progressive Bushings.....just call them directly.  Most likely they will sell them to you - but even if thy won't sell them to you directly, they can give you the part number so a retailer can order them for you.  Then.....let us know what the number is so others will know what to order, as this is not the first time the questions has been asked.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #9 - 12/15/15 at 17:46:06

Dave wrote on 12/15/15 at 03:21:25:
Smokestack:

If you want the Progressive Bushings.....just call them directly.  Most likely they will sell them to you - but even if thy won't sell them to you directly, they can give you the part number so a retailer can order them for you.  Then.....let us know what the number is so others will know what to order, as this is not the first time the questions has been asked.

Fair enough.  If I wind up going that route, I'll be sure to post the part number here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:35:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Progressive rear shock bushings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.