Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle speed adjustment (Read 145 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idle speed adjustment
12/11/15 at 10:13:32

With 100 miles on the odometer of this new bike, the idle speed seems a bit high. I don't want to adjust it down by ear, though, having read about possible oil pressure issues.

From my days as an auto mechanic, I have a dwell/tach meter, but it is intended for 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinder engines.

Is there a reliable "shade tree" method of determining engine rpm without investing $65 in digital tact (as mentioned in another post here)?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Idle speed adjustment
Reply #1 - 12/11/15 at 10:40:12

Well the simplest thing to do....is find a level piece of pavement and allow the bike to idle along in 1st gear.

On level ground, in 1st gear, the bike should be idling along around 9 mph.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/11/15 at 11:28:48

put it on 4 and multiply the reading by 4.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/11/15 at 12:02:31

If you are prepared to invest $10 this works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital-Engine-Tach-Hour-Meter-Gauge-for-Racing-M...

I installed one on my gas powered golf cart and 5 years later it is still going strong. All you have to do is wrap the sensor lead three times around your spark plug wire and it will give you the rpm. When you are done unwind it and store it away for another day.

David

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/11/15 at 14:55:47

After a 20 mile run, highway speeds & city stop&go, did the idling in 1st trick. Putted along at 8-9 mph.

I'll try the old dwell/tach, too...and $10 isn't outrageous for the tach/hour meter, either. Thanks for the tips.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/11/15 at 23:06:05

A little more RPM isn't deadly. Low is. Mine was easy to lug coming away from a stop until about 500 miles. Read the break in information.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/12/15 at 17:21:11

Are you listening to your idle when the engine is cold or warm? Cold idle tends to be faster for whatever reason.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/12/15 at 17:50:39

@Kris01
The bike was thoroughly warmed up from several miles of city stop-and-go riding, plus a few miles of 55-60 mph highway.

@justin
After riding new bike back from dealership, first thing I did was read owner's manual cover to cover, especially the suggested break-in procedures and gear-position/mph limits. Additionally, I vary the engine rpm and load very frequently. (I may be a "nube" to this particular bike, but not a total "FNG.") Other than my very first bike, a 1965 CB160 Honda and my '02 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, I've had an on-board tachometer with which to adjust the idle setting. It just seemed that S40 sounded a bit "busy" at idle; however, from what I'm reading on this site, better too high than too low.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/12/15 at 17:58:20

I don't Know what FNG is, but, I get the context, and it's not good, I'm betting..
That said, don't infer attitude from me to you. I just toss suggestions.
I read mine, too, but it's not a bad plan to suggest it when it isn't known.
Wasn't being insulting, sorry if it felt like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 12/12/15 at 19:01:15

Rodger wrote on 12/12/15 at 17:50:39:
It just seemed that S40 sounded a bit "busy" at idle; however, from what I'm reading on this site, better too high than too low.

If you think idle sounds busy, try 65+ mph!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/12/15 at 19:20:28

at that speed, it doesn't thump, it hums

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/13/15 at 08:47:39

Part of my break-in drill is to ride in town, stop-&-go, for a few miles to get engine thoroughly warmed up, then do highway, accelerating with moderate throttle to 4th gear/50-55, then upshifting to 5th...hold 55-60 for about a mile, then gradual deceleration..."rinse, lather, repeat," then stop for cuppa coffee, let the bike cool down a bit.

Did similar drill on last new bike, my 1984 BMW R80RT, on the advice of the shop's head Beemer mechanic. Rode that bike all over the western U.S. and it didn't use oil right up to the day I sold it with 50K on the speedo.

The Bmw & S40 have that low-frequency/high-amplitude vibe, unlike the in-line 4-cyl bikes I've owned. My '93 Kaw Concours had a high-freq/low-amp vibe @ cruise; would put my hands to sleep.

There's 4" of snow on the ground here in Colorado, so used the downtime to treat all light bulbs & electrical connections with silicone dielectric grease. Besides protecting from corrosion, it gets me "mechanically aquainted" with the bike. (Having to figure out things - like replacing a headlight bulb, for example - is better done in a well-lit garage than on some backroad in the middle if the night... Smiley )

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/13/15 at 16:40:22

like replacing a headlight bulb, for example - is better done in a well-lit garage than on some backroad in the middle if the night... Smiley )

You won't have to worry about that if you don't carry a spare.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle speed adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.