Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tip for electrical connections.... (Read 67 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tip for electrical connections....
12/11/15 at 07:51:37

Electrical connections and light bulb sockets on 'cycles are much more exposed to the elements than automotive connections. To prevent corrosion, get a tube of Dielectric Grease from an auto parts store and smear a small amount on bases of light bulbs (like tail/brake/turnsignals) and any quick connectors.

Like the old Brylcreme commercial, "a little dab will do ya." I bought a tube back when I worked in an auto repair shop over 20 years ago and still have 1/2 tube left.

If a connection is already corroded, carefully spray with Electric Motor cleaner, plug and unplug several times to break up the "yuk." Then treat with the dielectric grease. WD40 will work in place of elec cleaner, but does leave a slight residue. Avoid getting elec motor cleaner on painted surfaces, btw.

Also, plain ol' Vaseline on a Q-tip or acid brush will prevent battery terminal corrosion and won't stain clothes like other greases. Clean the battery terminals, install the battery, and lightly coat the terminals, cable ends, and bolts.

(This is probably "old news" to many of the DIY-ers here. I'm doing these steps to the new S40 as I go..."an ounce of prevention, etc.")

« Last Edit: 12/13/15 at 10:24:53 by Rodger »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tip for electrical connections....
Reply #1 - 12/11/15 at 08:30:35

Good advice to share.....and I agree with you.

I have done this on my bike, and I also keep the trailer wiring connectors coated with this stuff.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/11/15 at 08:57:53

we call it goose grease in the electrical trade
required on all Al. conductor terminations

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/11/15 at 09:38:20

"Goose Grease," eh? Never heard that one...lol.

I bought this tube of NAPA Dielectric Grease when I had some come-back work on GM HEI ignition modules. The tiny tube of grease that came with replacement ign module just wasn't enough to thoroughly tranfer heat from the module to the distributor housing, resulting in premature failure of new module. Lesson learned: SLATHER the underside of the module.

Btw, I had the seat off the new S40 to take battery out (engine seemed to crank over slowly). Found that 4 of the battery cells were low, so topped them off with distilled water and put it on 1-amp battery charger for 2 hours to freshen up the charge. While seat was off, every connector I could reach and all the rear bulbs got some dielectric grease. Also, I installed a pigtail for my battery tender.This is my first new bike in over 30 years, so trying to start out right from the get-go.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 12/12/15 at 17:17:18

We've had this discussion before. I used to think dielectric grease helped with conductivity. Apparently, I was wrong. It's actually an insulator to prevent arcing among other things. Works great on all the electrical connections.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:40:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tip for electrical connections....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.