Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Ethanol fuel article
12/11/15 at 04:51:00

Bike Bandit has a pretty good article about ethanol fuel.
http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/e15-and-beyond-what-you-need-to-know-abou...

The only thing I didn't see in their article that should be considered...is the blender pump problem.  The hose of the blender pump will have some of the fuel that the previous owner was buying in the hose and fill valve - so you may well get a dose of E15 or E85 in your tank when you are buying E10 fuel.  This has been a concern when you have a motorcycle that requires premium fuel and you use a blender pump where the previous owner got regular....you are getting a quart or so of regular before the premium fills the hose - and this same situation (only worse) will occur if the previous fill was with E85!

I have found a couple of local gas stations that still have separate hoses for each grade of fuel, and I fuel up at those stations when I can.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Ethanol fuel article
Reply #1 - 12/11/15 at 05:49:42

I find it completely humorous, that once upon a time, the oil industry waged a "morality" war on alcohol to monopolize the market and drive out "home brewers" of alcohol based fuels. Now, they're claiming to be "saviors" of the planet thru "green" initiatives like this. I call shenanigans.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/11/15 at 07:31:42

a 30% hit to power?...
Say hello to my 250 Savage... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/11/15 at 07:38:38

our tax dollars at work....enriching big agra

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/11/15 at 07:50:54

Monsatan and the GMO corn, which naturally requires more and more
Roundup, so, glyphosates are building up. I'm sure it's all okay . FDA, and the EPA, they are surely doing a great job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 12/11/15 at 08:54:35

wifey has a flex fuel focus
mileage drops 3-4 mpg city with E85 and noticeable power loss
not worth it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/11/15 at 09:00:22

Is E85 really that much cheaper than regular?...

If so,.. I'd take the hit in power and economy,...
I wouldn't take the hit on mechanical reliability...
They gotta' do something about that...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 12/11/15 at 10:53:36

10% ethanol = 10% REDUCTION in gas mileage (MPG) as noted in 2005 Monte Carlo (3.4 V6) 2009 F150 (4.2 V6) and 2006 S40 (652 cc single).

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/11/15 at 11:02:14

old.indian wrote on 12/11/15 at 10:53:36:
10% ethanol = 10% REDUCTION in gas mileage (MPG) as noted in 2005 Monte Carlo (3.4 V6) 2009 F150 (4.2 V6) and 2006 S40 (652 cc single).

I had the same experience with my Chevy 1/2 ton pickup when the Ethanol fuel first showed up in this area.  I consistently got 400 miles between fillups, then suddenly the miles dropped to 360 between fillups.  I kept working on my truck to find out what had happened, and plugs, air filter, fuel system cleaner...nothing helped.

Then one week I happened to be down in Maysville, KY when I was low on fuel and I filled up - and daggumit that tank of fuel went for 400 miles just like it used to.  That is when I first discovered the 3 Northern Kentucky counties all had an Agreement with the EPA to sell the E10 fuel before the other counties started selling it......it was an "Air Quality" issue as we are in the Cincinnati, OH urban area.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 12/11/15 at 12:33:43

The EPA's requirements for ethanol had a negative impact on the average American..  Less corn available caused an increase cost for animal feed (higher cost per pound at the supermarket ), higher cost for any food products using corn byproducts, less MPG = more fuel to travel/haul products the same distances (which increases the cost of products now on the shelf too).  True ethanol does reduce certain emission gasses,  BUT it INCREASES the amount of CO2 (the primary green house gas.)            Note that they shy away from any comment on the "carbon footprint" of ethanol production, from plowing the ground, seeding, fertilizing (a whole "foot print" in commercial fertilizer production), harvesting, transportation, and actual production.             OH, and less I forget, it cost to add the ethanol, so a gallon of the 10% mixture will cost you more at the gas pump.
No Doubt about it. We have the very best government that money can buy........ Wink    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 12/11/15 at 12:55:21

not to mention the water necessary for production

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #11 - 12/12/15 at 18:31:34

If I'm not mistaken, the use of alcohol fuel requires the use of larger carb jets (a richer mixture). Yet another reason to rejet Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/13/15 at 17:30:55

You all need to consider that the farmland given to the GMO corn to make the gas is land Not used for food crops. Increasing the price of food.
I sat and listened to a woman who was quite proud of the fact that she owned a Big farm, raising soybeans and getting Ooodles of money in subsidies from the government.
Think about it. What about the saviors of the world, raising the corn,and how much fuel is burned, plowing and  cleaning, in preparation for planting, planting, water for irrigation, power to pump that water, applying pesticides, harvesting,

Anyone REALLY believe that all happens and we are saving ANYthing?
Shenanigans... big, male, Shenanigans...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 12/13/15 at 20:48:11

Anyone else notice that 89 octane is cheaper than 87 in the pic?  Huh

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/14/15 at 03:54:11

Kris01 wrote on 12/13/15 at 20:48:11:
Anyone else notice that 89 octane is cheaper than 87 in the pic?  Huh

I hadn't noticed that, and even more weird is that the 89 comes from the same hose as the E15 and E85......so when you use that hose you are could get a high dose of ethanol if the previous person bought the E85.  This wouldn't make much difference in a 20 gallon tank in a car - but if you were just buying a gallon to two it could make a big difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:27:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ethanol fuel article

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.