MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
tire time
12/10/15 at 14:22:25

Its that time again  Angry

The Michelin Commander II only  got 25,000 miles  Sad  , so I'm thinking Goodyear Eagle GT again - (and leaving the air pressure up above 30psi  this time

OldFeller  That 165 you put on is it a Nankang ?   and do you think a 155/60-15 would work w/out mod's ?   Is your dry-rotting or anything ?

any input on Dark-Side  is welcome  Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/10/15 at 19:40:03 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: tire time
Reply #1 - 12/10/15 at 19:01:27

155/60-15 would likely work for you with minimal trouble (you have done this before)

165/60-15 would require modifications.

When I looked last, the Firestone 155/60-15 was just going obsolete and the only ones were old stock being hawked at a premium.

When you look this time, look at different aspect heights, like the 150/55-15 and the 145/55-15. as what is out there is on little Japanese and Oriental sports cars of various flavors.   Mini Coopers, stuff like that.

Don't look for VW tires, that ship has sailed I am afraid.

My current Nexxen tire is a oriental sports car tire, not a VW tire.

« Last Edit: 12/11/15 at 08:15:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/11/15 at 05:06:06

I would think you would be happy about getting 25,000 miles out of a tire? Shocked

Here is a link to a Firestone tire that is available in anything from 125 to 165 width in a 15" rim.  They don't list the aspect ratio - but if you go into the specifications it will list the overall diameter of the tire for each width.  The one thing that I did notice, is that these tires are all listed for use on rims in the 3.50" - 6" width range.....you have a 2.75" wide rim.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/firestone-f560.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/11/15 at 07:58:27

on car tires, especially those designed for older cars (coker's specialty) you can bet on a 78 aspect ratio unless otherwise noted
I'd do one of those in 135 or maybe 145
25,000 miles is good for a moto tire on a moto, but any car tire will go FAR beyond that

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/11/15 at 08:30:04

Dave wrote on 12/11/15 at 05:06:06:
I would think you would be happy about getting 25,000 miles out of a tire? Shocked

Here is a link to a Firestone tire that is available in anything from 125 to 165 width in a 15" rim.  They don't list the aspect ratio - but if you go into the specifications it will list the overall diameter of the tire for each width.  The one thing that I did notice, is that these tires are all listed for use on rims in the 3.50" - 6" width range.....you have a 2.75" wide rim.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/firestone-f560.html

I think Dave has spotted the sweet spot.   The tires look somewhat like a Nankang tread pattern, so Firestone may be buying the tires from Nankang, but they do have the full range of sizes available here in the USA.   And the price is better than the Nankang tires too.

They have a 155 and a 145, if I was picking I'd look at the 155.    But a 145 would likely drop right in with no issues at all on a stock bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 12/11/15 at 13:22:31

That 145R is perty !  Smiley    It's also 24.3 Dia.

I might go with the Michelin again , my wore out one , is 26.+ Dia.  even with the tread being gone it's still 8% difference in the GPS and the Speedometer.   You know I'm fond of Long Leggs !  even on bikes !

I can't find a GoodYear Eagle like I had (and liked) before , but the "Super Store" has lots of Commander II's

I go to Church with a guy in the tire business I'll ask him.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/12/15 at 20:16:53

MM, 25k miles is pretty durned good. I changed my first rear Shinko at about 10k. It was probably good for maybe a couple of extra thousand miles, but we were getting ready for the Twisted Sisters ride so I preferred to get new rubber on and got a new rear Shinko 712. For the price of the Shinko 712 I am OK with getting 10-12k, and as far as performance goes, I like the tire.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 12/12/15 at 21:44:26

I think you fellers are Right Tongue

25K miles is good enough ... I'm going to order another Commander II.    Thanks for swinging me in the right direction.  Smiley

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/13/15 at 05:45:27

What upsets MM is seeing my tire on the back of my bike jest keep a coming on back, and he is counting his in whole tires now.

Wink

..... and yet between the two of us we have NEVER worn out a darksider yet -- something incidental destroys them before wear out happens.

My best one got killed by a rust lump on the rim growing through the tube (yep, sounds kinda really slow acting, don't it?    It had most of a decade to work its magic.)

This one might outlive me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 12/13/15 at 21:49:39

OldFeller wrote .. and yet between the two of us we have NEVER worn out a darksider yet -- something incidental destroys them before wear out happens.

Your Right Old Buddy !    The Good Year Eagle GT (145/80) was less than half  worn-out at 20K-miles when I lowered the air presure in it and blew-away those boys on those rockets riding the Dragon.    Didn't even know I'd hurt that tire till I got up to 70 mph on the way home.  That tire is on my Bat-Wing hay rake now and going strong.  Wink   with only 20-25#'s in it !

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 12/14/15 at 09:59:56

So, go put on the last tire you will ever wear again ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/14/15 at 19:43:36

I've been wearing the
Last tire
for years. It's around the waist.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 12/14/15 at 20:56:43

Grin,,, Grin Grin Grin

I've been trying to get mine down to a "De-Flated inter tube" , with minimum success -- Roll Eyes

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:24:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › tire time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.