Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch case gasket, or whatever it is called (Read 140 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Clutch case gasket, or whatever it is called
12/09/15 at 23:07:43

Just finished changing the clutch cover gasket that was leaking. Took about 3 hours unfortunately. Taking the bike apart and putting it back together took about an hour and a half. Had trouble with one of the studs that holds the foot peg and brake pedal. It just slipped back into the cavity in which it is located. Pulled it back out with a magnet but kept sliding back in as I tried to put on the foot peg. I guess maybe a tack weld will hold it in place. Anyway the other hour and a half was spent scraping the gasket off the case cover. What a royal pain in the back side. I put a coat of grease on each side of the gasket this time hoping that next time I have to get in there I can reuse the gasket. Oh well, it is late. I'm all would up and felt like griping.  Angry

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Clutch case gasket, or whatever it is called
Reply #1 - 12/10/15 at 02:52:09

Guess what.....those bolts that hold the footpeg in place go all the way through the engine, and hold the footpeg on the other side....they are "through bolts"!

You could have just put another socket on the other side and held it in place while you put the washers and nut on. Roll Eyes

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/10/15 at 03:08:43

Which goes to show that working on something when it is late, and you are tired, is going to result in "this doesn't seem right" moments.

I'm just surprised you could pull it back with a magnet.  Usually has a lot more resistance from going through the spacer, engine, left peg assembly.  And.. you got the nut to tighten down OK without a wrench/socket on the bolt on the left side?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/10/15 at 09:01:29

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. First, no I was not able to tighten it down correctly. Second, I really do not think this one particular stud goes all the way through, I am guessing it was modified at some point. However I will check it as soon as I can. Dang, now I cannot stop thinking about it trying to visualize it. Thanks, I'll let you know what find.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/10/15 at 13:37:08

It goes through.. trust me.   Both of them do.

I don't see a safe way to modify it, so I hope no one has done so.  Those bolts are engine mounts, and hold the crankcase halves together.

Number 21 here:
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fb3f8700232d0b3d917/crankcase

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/11/15 at 10:23:59

Thanks for the diagram youzguyz. It was my wedding anniversary yesterday so I have not yet gone back to take a look at the bike. Will get to it this weekend.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/11/15 at 19:04:37

Happy Anniversary David! And to your lovely missus!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/11/15 at 19:56:18

Thanks Art.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/11/15 at 20:32:51

By Jove, that is a through bolt!!! Vell, it is guut und tite now. Danke mein friends.

Unfortunately it seems to be leaking even more now. Well, I re torqued the bolts on the case, and yes they seemed a lot looser than what I had left them. We'll see if that took care of the leak if I get a chance to ride tomorrow.

Anybody know the torque specs on the clutch cover bolts. I actually do have a torque wrench which I should probably use. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/11/15 at 20:52:23

digger says...
Quote:
For my bike (see signature), the FSM lists the torque range for these bolts as being 3 -5 ft-lbs.  If the bolts are hardened, then the torque range is listed as 6 - 8.5 ft-lbs.

I don't think that these particular bolts are hardened.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/12/15 at 08:02:29

Thanks Versy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/12/15 at 16:46:05

The wrench is what I used. I can FEEL the bolts clamping force and when it is as tight as it can tolerate.
Spend time, go slow, snug each, go again, back and forth, feel it snugging down, once it's pretty tight, just go around, and around, and around,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 12/12/15 at 17:50:29

Well I got out the 1/4" torque wrench and believe it or not it was set at 96 inch lbs from the last time I tightened the bolts.

By the way, my guesstimate of tightness was way off. It was a good 3 full turns of the bolts before the wrench clicked. Well, hopefully it will not leak now.  

Thanks for the help guys.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 12/12/15 at 18:58:30

Here's hoping no leaky
I need to check my durned old cam chain adjuster

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 12/12/15 at 19:59:48

Well Art, at least it is easy to do and now you know the torque specs for the cover bolts. Good luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:18:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Clutch case gasket, or whatever it is called

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.