Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite holidays leftover cooking (Read 63 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Favorite holidays leftover cooking
12/09/15 at 13:41:28

Holidays cooking is okay -- I mean Thanksgiving has turkey and ham and sixty other things that get cooked in a large amounts and hang around forever.

Some of it however is cherished stuff and does not last very long at all.  And some of it is raw material for other almost immediate things that are very popular such as turkey salad.

Leftover veggies along with the leftover sliced ham get diced up and put in a big pot and turned into vegetable soup.

But today we give homage to the slowest of the leftovers, that great big ham bone with all the tatters of the circle sliced ham on it.

Frozen, it has waited faithfully in the freezer until the mood was right for a big pot of navy beans.

My wife is positive that the height of culinary artistry is a big bone left over from Thanksgiving or Christmas that has been faithfully stewed for 6 hours in a big well spiced pot of navy beans.

She carefully slivers every bit of meat off of that bone and enjoys it immensely while the beans are cooking and then when the beans are finally done and the whole thing cools down to an edible level the dog sits there and patiently whines and cries until mama digs the bone out and gives it to him.

It is a family tradition.   Her father did her ham hock for her since she was a little bitty thing .... and now I do it.

So, what are your traditional holiday foods (and favorite leftovers).

« Last Edit: 12/09/15 at 18:54:53 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Favorite holidays leftover cooking
Reply #1 - 12/09/15 at 20:10:44

Cold turkey (dark meat) sandwiches- lots of butter on really good bread, salt and pepper and your done.
Or hot open faced turkey sandwiches with gravy.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/09/15 at 20:41:13

I can gnaw on a leg or a thigh. I'm THRILLED that the girls only want breast meat.. well, not dark,
I don't care if juice is dripping out, white meat just feels sandy, gakk!
Tater salad, cranberry sauce, uh Huhh.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/10/15 at 03:22:45

I make my famous atomic chex mix.  Lots of people look forward to getting a bag of it every year.

It is incredibly bad for you.  3.5 sticks of margarine go in each pan.  And it takes about 6-8 hours to bake it back to being crispy.
I'll try to save some for this years Hill Country gathering.

chxmix.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 12/13/15 at 01:14:28

Navy beans? Ugh, you have my sympathy. My wife use the ham bone and some ham to make a terrific split pea soup. Thick, filling, and tasty. The turkey carcass turns into turkey soup, boiling of the remaining meat and adding tomatoes, spices, and some other stuff.

Wife had me do stuffing a different way this year. Blend up the heart and gizzards, roughly chop fresh toast, add some herbs and bake it in a separate casserole dish. Turned out well.  I've never been one for gizzards, but this really worked.  Quite a contrast from the stuffing I received growing up, which my mother affectionately (and correctly) called glue.

On a side note: if the ham bone is done right, the mat shouldn't have to be sliced off. It ought to fall right of the bone. Also, be very mindful giving your dog that cooked bone. Cooked bones will sooner and can easily cause blockage and internal damage.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the holidays mean my in-law will be making pastries! Pizelles, biscotta, and the mother makes kahlua fudge with Mexican vanilla. Mmm... Gotta love Italian family - or at least their cooking.  Grin

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 12/13/15 at 06:01:34

HondaLavis wrote on 12/13/15 at 01:14:28:
On a side note: if the ham bone is done right, the mat shouldn't have to be sliced off. It ought to fall right of the bone. Also, be very mindful giving your dog that cooked bone. Cooked bones will sooner and can easily cause blockage and internal damage.

My wife makes a hobby out of "checking the beans" with a sharp knife in her hand.   By the time the bone is done there isn't any meat on it.   If we have two hocks, the second one goes in the pot then and it never makes it either.

She is a ham hock-aholic .....   been that way since she could walk, I hear tell.    

Her pillow bagel has inherited the disease from her, he'll take the bone anyway he can get it.

========================================

My family used red pepper and chili spiced pinto beans to do all their bones (Texans).   My mother grew red peppers and chili and strung them on thread to make functional kitchen decorations out of her dried condiments.

She'd pull off a few peppers, whack them a few time with a knife and throw them into the pot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 12/14/15 at 17:15:40

Over the years, our celebratory parties have lessened in population.
As a military member loving to cook, we always invited the airmen who could not go home over for our thanksgiving and Christmas dinners (which were usually from 2pm til' closing (some times a stay over was needed by a few imbibers).
But now days, it has dwindled to just us two and maybe one friend or family member. (we don't tolerate malcontents any longer, bad apples are not invited, no matter who's family they are)
This year it is the bipolar sister-in-law, and my wife and I, no others...(lol her sons are the malcontents I speak of).
For Thanksgiving we went to the local Golden Corral Buffet, this Christmas we are going to cook a small meal for three.... hoping we can find one of those small turkey breasts (we have been told bird flu is why there are fewer choices this year).
We won't have much left over, unless we have to buy a small turkey... and I love turkey sammmiches with mayo~ Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:20:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Favorite holidays leftover cooking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.