Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wobble extensions (Read 187 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Wobble extensions
12/08/15 at 09:52:00

Just on an impulse a while back I picked up a set of  wobble socket extenders at HF. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

The drawback is that they reduce the contact area inside the socket but that's only an issue if high force is needed. But boy do they free up your access to fasteners and also, maybe best of all, prevent rounding damage to bolt heads from crooked contact with them.

I guess these items are sockets 101 to the trained mechanic, but I have stumbled and cussed through life without them and now... much better thank you.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Wobble extensions
Reply #1 - 12/08/15 at 10:05:44

Sonny,

Another socket that makes life easier is the sockets with a built in universal joint. You can get at fasteners with them that are really difficult to get a socket on.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #2 - 12/08/15 at 10:25:50

Yes, I'm sure they do, and they don't have the problem of narrowing the contact area inside the driven end of the socket.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 12/08/15 at 10:54:37

HF is a great place for us amateur mechanics. I have picked up all kinds of hand tolls during the past two years.   Cool

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 12:18:22

I just bought a welding cart from Harbor Freight to put my new Eastwood Welder on.  It was on sale for $ 39....and will work just fine and was 1/3rd the price that Eastwood wanted for their cart.

You do have to sort through and pick/choose what you buy from them, as some of it works and some is nothing but garbage.  Their rubber gloves are great.....their mechanics gloves are crappy.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/08/15 at 12:49:27

A painter gave me some blue rubber gloves from the paint store.
Much better than the
Rip while putting them on
alleged gloves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 12/08/15 at 17:06:37

pg wrote on 12/08/15 at 10:54:37:
HF is a great place for us amateur mechanics. I have picked up all kinds of hand tolls during the past two years.   Cool

Best regards,

Wait a minute there bub! Smiley

I've been a mechanic fer about 40 years now...and a mech in training for 10 years before that....
And I LOVE harbor freight.... LOL.... break one, go buy another one... for 1/5 the price of a new one....
And some of them Chinese forged ones sometimes work better than US brand ones Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #7 - 12/08/15 at 20:49:32

I recently broke one of the open end ratchet end wrenches and I returned it to Harbor Freight and they replaced it free of charge.

The clerk told me that most of the Harbor Freight  hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

I collected a couple of times on Craftsman tools lifetime warranty

At my age supplying a lifetime warranty is not much of a risk for the manufacturer.....LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #8 - 12/08/15 at 21:56:32

I'm much more likely to lose a tool than to break it. Too bad they're not guaranteed against loss.

Those HF ratchet end wrenches are a real pleasure to use. They cut out a lot of annoyances turning fasteners.

I squeeze the ratchet and move the wrench to see which way the ratchet is pushing. But you could also put a spot of green paint on the side for righty tighty and a red spot for lefty loosey.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 12/08/15 at 22:38:37

Sonny,

I manage to get the wrench on backwards 2 out of 3 times.

Putting a dab of paint on the ratchets is a great idea.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/09/15 at 07:38:39

I treat HF tools a lot like I treated Craftsman the last 5-10 years or so: good for general use, but when quality matters I still reach for Snap On (I have had, for example, Craftsman line wrenches round off brake line fitting due to lack of stiffness (the jaws spread under torque) on a dismally consistent basis, so only Snap On and Matco line wrenches live in my tool box)
ratcheting wrenches are great and wobble extensions and the sockets with built in u-joints are  truly a great thing to have, especially if you're twisting wrenches for a living

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 12/09/15 at 15:30:35

Doesn't Craftsman still offer a lifetime warranty regardless of how it broke?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 12/09/15 at 16:49:35

Yep

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 12/10/15 at 02:59:54

Kris01 wrote on 12/09/15 at 15:30:35:

I sometimes feel a bit guilty when I take a really worn out screwdriver in to be replaced.  Initially I treat the screwdriver like it should be treated, and use it for removing screws, and eventually as it wear it becomes my tool for prying things open.  The screwdrivers can last a long time if you are only working with new fasteners - but when you remove those old rusty screws and ones with rounded slots that have 5 layers of paint you have to chisel through....it is sometimes hard to keep the screwdriver firmly locked in the slot, and every time it slips out the blade is rounded off a bit.  Eventually the tip is too rounded to be of much use, and I take it back to Sears so they can replace it.  They always do......but somehow it just doesn't seem right to ask them to replace a tool that you have been using for 10-15 years.....and it probably cost $ 3 at the time and the replacement is now $ 9.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 12/11/15 at 08:39:16

Kris01 wrote on 12/09/15 at 15:30:35:

Yes, they do
but their line wrenches don't break when I use them, the jaws just spread enough to round the fitting a better tool would have loosened
I've had the experience, more than once, of having a Craftsman line wrench round a fitting, and then getting the fitting to break free with an el cheapo open end wrench
most Craftsman stuff is good, especially the older stuff, but their line wrenches are complete and utter crap

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wobble extensions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.