Send Topic Print
Wobble extensions (Read 187 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Wobble extensions
Reply #15 - 12/11/15 at 08:57:20

A friend, not aware of his own strength, holding, one handed, in the middle of the wrench, put the open end on a nut and scooped a dent in the wrench work face.  I see your point, and that was no line wrench. I bought the wrenches in about 1980,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 12/11/15 at 09:06:32

I bought a large box end wrench form Harbor Freight to use on the trailer hitch ball.  I just don't have wrenches that are that big and it was cheap and does the job.

I thought it was kinda' funny that it says "PITTSBURGH" in really big letters....and  "Made In India" is also printed in much smaller letters.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/11/15 at 21:09:36

My late Father swore by S-K tools, and I still have his full set of 3/4" drive sockets, ratchet, and T-bar. Who knows...maybe someday I'll have to work on a farm tractor?  lol

When I got out of the Regular Army, I started at a local auto repair shop with a limited set of tools. The boss had a huge toolbox, full of Snap-On, and I could borrow a tool here and there as long as it was wiped clean and put away at quitting time. Funds were tight, but as soon as I could, I bought my own kit. I have found the NAPA Evercraft combination wrenches to be adequate, whereas the few Craftsman wrenches I had just didn't hold up to constant, daily use. Also, I could buy a whole set of Evercraft wrenches for the cost of one Snap-On wrench. Did I drool over the boss's beautiful tools? Yes....but I did a lot of work with the cheapies.

I like Harbor Freight for "hobbyist quality" tools (my shorty metric combo set is Pittsburg brand) but the Pitt adjustable wrenches and pliers....? They're only slightly better than nothing, IMHO.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 12/12/15 at 16:36:19

I prefer SK ratchets. The 1/4" drive is so smooth.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 12/12/15 at 19:16:25

I've never seen an SK tool that wasn't worthy of a serious wrencher's toolkit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 12/12/15 at 20:12:49

Bought a set of 3/8ths at the parts house, sockets, ratchet, an extension, maybe two, about thirty bucks , in 74 ish,,, around Twenty bucks.. still have a few sockets, someone else has the rest.

I was asking the counter sales old man questions about the carb.
He said

You wanna know the best thing you could do for that car?

Uhhh, sure, what?

Drive a hole in the hood, drop a chain in, bring it around the bumper, lock it, give the wife the key..

I didn't listen. Eventually he saw I was determined. He got nicer.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #21 - 12/13/15 at 18:26:56

Sonny wrote on 12/08/15 at 21:56:32:
I'm much more likely to lose a tool than to break it. Too bad they're not guaranteed against loss.

Those HF ratchet end wrenches are a real pleasure to use. They cut out a lot of annoyances turning fasteners.

I squeeze the ratchet and move the wrench to see which way the ratchet is pushing. But you could also put a spot of green paint on the side for righty tighty and a red spot for lefty loosey.

I have those wrenches on my Christmas list.  If the kids come through, I'll try that paint idea!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #22 - 12/13/15 at 20:00:48

Quote:
I have those wrenches on my Christmas list.  If the kids come through, I'll try that paint idea!

May your days be merry and bright
And may all your engine bolts be tight!

Wink

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #23 - 12/13/15 at 20:14:57

I was working on my S40 today and realized that the tools I use most often are probably nut drivers. As soon as I have something broke loose I use a nut driver to spin the nut off. On re-assembly I use the nut driver to spin the nut on, before I use the ratchet or torque wrench to finish tightening.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 12/14/15 at 08:01:04

I do that more with small stuff, so, I have a 1/4" drive handle. I have adapters, I can use it on any socket.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 12/14/15 at 08:16:34

Kenny G wrote on 12/13/15 at 20:14:57:
I was working on my S40 today and realized that the tools I use most often are probably nut drivers. As soon as I have something broke loose I use a nut driver to spin the nut off. On re-assembly I use the nut driver to spin the nut on, before I use the ratchet or torque wrench to finish tightening.

Kenny G

Another one I use a lot is my palm ratchet
And my speed wrench (like an old hand drill)

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #26 - 12/14/15 at 20:19:07

Justin,

I have a 50 some year old Proto drive handle. It looks like a screwdriver with a square end on it and fits 1"4" drive sockets and I have a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter. I probably use it more than the nut drivers because I can slip the socket off of the ratchet and put it right on the drive handle.

I have been trying to find a 3/8" drive handle, but no luck so far. My luck has changed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UWHRSS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d...

Kenny G

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 12/14/15 at 20:39:31

Funny, the habits we develop. I use a ratchet to break the bolt or nut loose, then remove the ratchet and spin the socket by hand to R&R the fastener, then the ratchet or a torque wrench to snug it down.

The fewer tools I use, the less time spent digging for a tool.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wobble extensions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.