Send Topic Print
That just bugs me... (Read 159 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
That just bugs me...
12/08/15 at 05:48:12

So, in the Summer, the house needs to be cool, in winter, IF  it's as cool as desired in the Summer, Now it's cold.
Why doesn't the same temperature in Summer, that was
Comfortable then, feel comfortable in winter?
Over the years, I've got the
It's thirty out, so, it needs to be ninety inside...
changed a lot, she doesn't drive me so nuts with it anymore, but I see it in others. What's that about? Why isn't what was good in July also good in December?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: That just bugs me...
Reply #1 - 12/08/15 at 07:43:34

Yes, I have always wondered why the indoor 70 isn't comfortable all year as well.

I believe the answer has to do with the humidity in the air.  In the really cold part of winter the outside air is really dry, and we have to use the humidifier to keep the humidity above 20% so our wood floor won't dry out and shrink - in the summer we have to dehumidify to keep the humidity below 70% so things won't mold.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/08/15 at 07:53:59

Makes you wonder how our species has survived...

When some people ask why I don't just take the car,...
I say,..."Too easy"... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/08/15 at 09:02:26

Here, during the summer there's maybe 2-4 weeks of 80/90% humidity along with 100+... so I let the kids turn the a/c on.   Wink

And winter's a month or two of below 40 at night, 70ish during the day and lower than normal humidity.

but earthquake season is a bit shaky.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 09:22:22

Dave wrote on 12/08/15 at 07:43:34:
Yes, I have always wondered why the indoor 70 isn't comfortable all year as well.

I believe the answer has to do with the humidity in the air.  In the really cold part of winter the outside air is really dry, and we have to use the humidifier to keep the humidity above 20% so our wood floor won't dry out and shrink - in the summer we have to dehumidify to keep the humidity below 70% so things won't mold.

Actually Dave, you've just, once again, forced me to dig in and grab a star. I knew that! Now,me, I'm fine, thermometer between 68/70 to 78/80, I'm okay. But the Wife,,  if it's Really cold outside, man, turn the heat up. 80 is too low.

I'm still jumpy about laundry not being dry enough. My mom drilling that into me in Houston. I am in East Texas, and haven't needed a dehumidifier, since the window units haul water out of the air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 12/08/15 at 09:40:12

Whether it's economics -- having to pay the utility bills -- or trying to be sensible about our environmental impact, or both, we don't roll that way. We use climate control to take the edge off extreme outside temps, not to reverse them. But 80 or higher is good indoors in the summer and 60, 65 is good in winter. After that, comfort comes from dressing for the season indoors and out.

We took it to heart when Jimmy Carter tried to get us thinking that way back in the '70s and it's still good for us.

Run the HVAC that way and you save enough money to ride a motorsickle.

Which, BTW, I hear that ole Jimmah seems to have beaten his cancer. Good for him. He's a good man.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/08/15 at 09:45:23

It's taken years, but I've been able to get her to realize the way she's gone about it is just silly.. Summer, let it be on the warm end of
I can live with this.
Winter, nothing wrong with dressing up a bit, in the house.
The Cool the A.C. couldn't even create in Summer, that you Would have welcomed, is now freely available. Just took me dang near thirty years...

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 12/08/15 at 10:18:09

The older among us remember when there wasn't any consciousness of these things, but for most folks today we're getting a little smarter and more responsible.

Another real factor is getting a longer service live out of the HVAC equipment, especially the AC side in summer. You get less compressor cycling and a lower duty cycle. Same as with car & bike engines, it's the start that is the highest wear event. And with AC, it draws a huge slug of power to kick the system on.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/08/15 at 11:45:15

We have to use the AC for several months in the summer....when the temperature is 90 and the humidity is a similar 90%.

If we open the windows the hot/humid air goes into the cooler basement area, and the humidity approaches 100% and everything in the basement gets moldy.

We heat with an outdoor wood boiler...so the house is at 68 degrees and the garage is around 60 degrees all winter.  Our utility bills are around $ 80 a month year round....most of that is probably the water heater and electric clothes drier.  I installed the woodburner so I can heat the house when I retire.....no more expense to keep warm (other than the fuel for the chainsaw and woodsplitter).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 12/08/15 at 17:22:56

Humidity and Barometric pressure....  

But we keep our heat sump (yeah I live in florida we don't have AC or Heaters, its a single unit) at about 70-72 in winter and 76 in summer.
This year since grandma is gone (bless her soul), we are going to do 70 this winter and maybe wear a long sleeve shirt or sweater, and this coming summer put the AC to about 78.
When it is 40 degrees outside  70 inside should feel warm..... and when its 95-100 outside 78 should feel fairly cool.
Spring and Fall when the temps are comfortable, we do open the windows and hope no one breaks in.... our fall bill this year barely reached $100.... most times it was high 70

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/09/15 at 07:58:07

I roll about like Old Rider, 78 in summer and 70 during the winter, except in summer I do tend to turn it down to 74 at bedtime
Also the HVAC gets turned OFF when I leave the house for more than a couple hours, no one benefits from that energy, why waste it
I have heard the old saw that turning it up (or down) actually saves more money than turning it off, and it's BS, I've doner it both ways, and turning it OFF is more efficient
My power bill runs in the 50s during mild weather and 80s when it's hot or cold, compared to my neighbors 150-200+

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 12/13/15 at 01:33:40

In addition to the humidity, you have to think of how your body climatizes. This time of year, I'm comfortable outside at 60 deg in jeans and a t-shirt. If it was summer and I walked into a room that cold, I'd want a jacket! Personally, my thermostat is at 74 summer and 72 winter, but my house is also terribly energy inefficient. I have big stupid vaulted ceilings in a one story ranch home, and all of my hvac ducts are routed very poorly. More heat enters the bedrooms through the door than the vent...

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/13/15 at 06:03:07

We had a Mobile Home, probably, in reality, it was a trailer house,,but, anyway, after about six years, the A.C. died. I got some estimates, and just couldn't swing it, coupled with the electric bills. Bought four window units, any bedroom could be made comfortable, kitchen/living room area worked out with one big one, and the money saved on Not running the poorly designed and insulated A.C. paid for them in the first summer. Unless I get steenkeeng Rich, I'll never own a place that has central air again.
As it is, the bedrooms have windows units, great white noise generators, and the windows are blacked out using foam insulation boards. Sun comes up and you'll never know.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/13/15 at 06:04:30

We had a Mobile Home, probably, in reality, it was a trailer house,,but, anyway, after about six years, the A.C. died. I got some estimates, and just couldn't swing it, coupled with the electric bills. Bought four window units, any bedroom could be made comfortable, kitchen/living room area worked out with one big one, and the money saved on Not running the poorly designed and insulated A.C. paid for them in the first summer. Unless I get steenkeeng Rich, I'll never own a place that has central air again.
As it is, the bedrooms have windows units, great white noise generators, and the windows are blacked out using foam insulation boards. Sun comes up and you'll never know.

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #14 - 12/13/15 at 07:14:59

my girls thermostat is BUSTED

summer she bundles up and winter she bundles up

We live in ARIZONA

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:19:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › That just bugs me...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.