Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
New 2015 S40...deceleration whine & noisy disc (Read 647 times)
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New 2015 S40...deceleration whine & noisy disc
12/07/15 at 18:13:46

I bought my S40 on Dec 2nd...my first brand new cycle since 1984...and I'm loving the bike. So much more fun than my 2002 Nomad 1500FI! I just turned 60 miles on the odometer, btw.

I have 2 questions, though: when I let off the throttle, there's a whine that I can't explain, which sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine. This is my first belt-drive bike, and I checked the belt tension "a la" the U-Tube video I found here and it seems to be correct for the fingertip-slack-90°-twist check. I removed the front sprocket cover and noted a very small amount of what serms to be black rubber dust. I'm wondering if the whine could be the belt, or is this just a characteristic of the S40?

Is such a whine normal for this bike? Again, I only hear it on deceleration.

#2: After the first 30 miles, the disc brake began to squeal. I haven't been engaging in hard braking or riding the brake, so I wouldn't think the pads are glazed.

Since I'm new to this forum, a bit about me:
*began riding in 1972 and have owned various models of all 4 major Japanese bikes, plus 3 BMW's
*have many years experience as an amatuer mechanic on a variety of gas engines from lawnmowers to heavy farm trucks.
*I have a fairly extensive toolkit from my 5 years of working on cars and trucks for a living.

Thanks in advance for your input.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New 2015 S40...deceleration whine & noisy disc
Reply #1 - 12/07/15 at 18:23:57

Good to have you. Once it's broken in, you'll dig it..
The belt can sure whine.
It's easy to lug it off the line till it frees up inside.

Search
bedding brake pads

Some interesting stuff there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/07/15 at 19:18:38

welcome to the club   Cool

Rodger wrote on 12/07/15 at 18:13:46:
when I let off the throttle, there's a whine that I can't explain, which sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine. This is my first belt-drive bike, and I checked the belt tension "a la" the U-Tube video I found here and it seems to be correct for the fingertip-slack-90°-twist check. I removed the front sprocket cover and noted a very small amount of what seems to be black rubber dust. I'm wondering if the whine could be the belt, or is this just a characteristic of the S40?

Is such a whine normal for this bike? Again, I only hear it on deceleration.
I've never had a new one, so add salt.
Mine does not whine on acc/dec, but it does grumble pop on decel, and I hoot and haller on accel.   Cool
I seen several with the whine thou and it wasn't hard to fix them with belt alignment.  If you can get the belt to ride in the center of the pulleys, that won't be the cause of the whine.  (just don't seat your girlfriend back there for too long, most obnoxious whine ever)
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1260147857/0

Quote:
#2: After the first 30 miles, the disc brake began to squeal. I haven't been engaging in hard braking or riding the brake, so I wouldn't think the pads are glazed.

noisy brakes are another issue, as long as you have stock pads you'll have it from time to time.
brake dust seemed to be the issue on my bike, also moisture which I don't have a lot of in california.
wash the brake dust off and it'll be quiet for awhile.
since I've vented my disk and don't use stock pads I haven't had the issue.  Get the kevlar pads when you're ready, but they're just called organic due to the trademarked name.
but in the mean time, burn off the moisture by braking hard a few times.  it works for the front and back.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 12/07/15 at 22:50:34

No disrespect to Verslagen, but just be aware, the rear brake has a tendency to lock up under hard braking, you are an experienced rider Rodger, but just be aware of this fact.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 04:30:39

If the rear isn't acting right, nothing says you can't get going in first, keep the gas on and step on the brake. I've dried car brakes that way many times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/08/15 at 04:38:37

Both my Cafe' conversion and the stock bike I bought recently have a small bit of whine when slowing down.  It could be that it will go away as the mileage increases....they only have 7,000 and 4,000 miles on them.  It seems to be a bit louder when in the lower gears....so I suspect it is the transmission or primary drive, and may be the high amount of engine breaking available on the Savage is part of the cause.  I would just ride it and not worry about it....I don't.

The EBC Organic pads seem to be the brake pad of choice for this bike.  They work well, are easy on the rotor, and affordable.  The stock pads tend to be noisy....you can take them off and scuff them up with a bit of flat sandpaper on a flat surface - but the noise will come back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 12/08/15 at 04:39:07

There have been a couple threads on here about the whine on decel.  Sounds like an old army jeep decelerating or an old truck. If I remember right, there are several people out here who have the noise and it doesn't seem to be a problem, just a characteristic of the bike.  Mine has done it since the day I got it.  It was 25 years old at the time, though.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 12/08/15 at 04:42:08

Ride a while, stick a Dyna on it, then see if the whine
Goes away.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/08/15 at 05:09:37

Mine does it. I've always thought it was the belt.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/08/15 at 06:09:01

I've seen whining caused by a belt,
and I've seen whining stopped, by a belt.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/08/15 at 06:22:51

Thanks for all the input.

The deceleration whine is mostly around town, gears 1-3. I haven't had it up to highway speeds much so far, just a few roll-ons in 4th to 55, upshifting to 5th. Am varying speeds & engine loading during break in.

The rear brake is quiet, & I know about drumbrake lock-up...experienced that on my '82 Honda CM450 "back in the day." Going to try camferring leading edge of disc brake pads and scuffing them with medium grit sandpaper (sandpaper taped to a mirror, moving pads over sandpaper to keep as flat as possible).

Weather is warm enough to ride the next couple of days here in Colorado, but will do the pads & check belt & sprocket alignment when Ma Nature " gets ugly" later in the week. Will let y'all know what I find.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/08/15 at 06:43:34

I cut grooves across, ditched about 1/3 rd  of the surface area,chamfered them . Much better,

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/09/15 at 19:17:15

Took brake pads off last night, throughly sanded and put a slight camfer on each end of both pads' friction surface. The squeal wasn't completely eliminated, but only hear it just as pads contact the disc, and I can live with that.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/09/15 at 20:15:39

Can you feel the pedal before it locks up?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 12/09/15 at 20:44:18

i had front brake squeal for 5000 miles, despite several attempts to fix, until i got ebc organic. i sanded off the edges on my bench grinder for good measure. work great and quiet as a mouse.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:27:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 2015 S40...deceleration whine & noisy disc

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.