Say Hello to Lily! (Read 307 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Say Hello to Lily!
Reply #30 - 03/09/16 at 06:30:58

Dave, a friend of mine is a trainer, he does the treat thing with some, but not all require it.
Other things he does is use hand signals for each command (he teaches dogs for the hearing and speech impaired), he also trains other dogs in foreign languages, so that the animal will only obey someone that knows that (comes from the attack dogs being taught german commands) language or knows to speak it to them, he says that it is to keep your pup from listening to strangers who might steal them.
He also introduces dogs to people in two different "modes" , he will say come let the dog sniff your fist.....
He will then say "friend" meaning the dog can trust you....
Or he will say "ok" meaning the dog should only trust you so far...
He is kind of a "dog whisperer"... they seem to catch his meaning.... how he teaches the last bit i'll never know Smiley

He has had only one dog that he could not train fully.... it was an abused brindle female pit bull.
She would tolerate people near her, and occasionally growl at you... but if you ever approached my friend too closely, she would nip or bite you... he could never break her of that.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 03/09/16 at 07:15:34

My Border Collie was a joy to train
It took a while to housebreak him, and also to teach him my version of 'no' , but once he had 'no' down, you could break him of any behavior with a few 'nos', and he would listen the first time
My friends were amazed i could walk him past meat on a pit with just verbal commands and he would ignore it after the first 'no' but a big part of that is down to his own high level of intelligence
(then again, I trained a cat to not mess with food on a plate, so maybe I'm good at it, too  Cheesy)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 03/09/16 at 08:02:33

I trained a cat not to mess with me too... only took it 2 years to find it's way back.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #33 - 03/09/16 at 08:09:51

Training a cat is easy.....  Leave a couple of Chinese food cookbooks lying around ........ Wink    
(Well so much for being politically correct..... Roll Eyes )

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 03/09/16 at 09:07:56

101 Ways to Wok your Dog!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 03/09/16 at 20:24:44

They foreclosing on your house , your wife sleeping around , your boss just fired you , got your 4th speeding ticket on your way home , But your dog is always happy when you arrive and always ready to share his love ! Mans best friend !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 03/09/16 at 20:35:46

Thousands of years ago wild dogs allowed themselves to be domesticated and they just had to keep their masters company and maybe provide some security in return for free food and a warm place to sleep , no such thing as a dumb dog !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #37 - 03/09/16 at 21:41:36

Dave
Lily is a great puppy, and is going to be a great dog and family member, and she is going to love sleeping with MMRanch in his tent!
are you saying Lily makes a good Pillow too ?  Grin

sounds better than my electronic intrusion alert !  Wink

Huh    maybe I should bring some "Doggie Treats" so I can have a tent in Lily's  yard ?   Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 03/11/16 at 07:49:57

A dog is the one and only critter on this earth that will love you more than it loves itself
All it asks for in return is love, food and water, and proper training and socialization
My Uncle had a Weimaraner that would give us kids 'doggyback rides' when we were young, and go utterly ape if another dog offered us harm
I watched old Smokey run off 2 German Shepherds and a Doberman one day that were in the yard acting threatening toward my cousin
Man I loved that dog

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:30:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Say Hello to Lily!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.