Send Topic Print
Evil Rear Tire (Read 335 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Evil Rear Tire
Reply #30 - 12/07/15 at 13:39:01

I see high and low spots when I look at it looking past center to the outside. That can't roll smoothly in a turn.
If you've got the rear end off the ground and it's vertical, stable, safe,, and you put it in first and feel the tire, the suspension is trying to keep that on the road.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - 12/07/15 at 13:48:53

Looks to me like there is a big metal rod sticking out of your tire! Roll Eyes

Tires beyond 3 years old are becoming hard, and as each year goes by they get a bit harder.  Tires older than 5 years old can be really hard, especially tires that were made for long mileage and most likely started out as hard rubber even before they aged.

No street tire will get traction on wet leaves or mud.....and wet/muddy leaves are even worse!  Even dedicated off-road tires have a tough time on wet leaves...they are really slippery!  I don't know of any available tire that will fit on the Savage rim that will be a good tire for wet dirt roads.  Here is a link to the tire sets that fit the Savage, and I really don't see any tire in that group that has a tread pattern that will be a "good" tire for the wet dirt roads.....they just don't make them in 15" diameter rim sizes.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

What you really need is a tire with a tread that looks like the one below (DunlopK70) - but it does not come in a size that will fit the Savage.  These type of tires provide better traction in the dirt/mud/wet - but don't provide a long life tread.

A relatively new rider, on old high mileage street tires, on wet dirt roads covered in leaves......sounds like the a place where "YouTube" videos come from.  Be sure to have your friends riding behind you with their cameras on.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #32 - 12/07/15 at 15:40:04

I'm afraid I'm pretty short on riding buddies. I'm a bit of a loner. I'm getting my Dad into riding, but he's the last thing from tech savvy. When I get some money and start going all over the country, maybe I'll get a Go-Pro or something.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 12/07/15 at 16:03:53

Having survived a pretty tight left on layers of Sweetgum tree leaves with the gumballs spread amongst them for additional friction reduction, I can Promise you that you don't wanna do that. Without the muscles knowing that the seat had to move up and to the right, I would have been sliding to a ditch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - 12/09/15 at 08:46:59

In my experience, if you think you need a new tire, you probably do.  You've only been riding for a short time.  I wouldn't put a new rider on that tire...my 2˘

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #35 - 12/09/15 at 09:22:49

you just had an 'unexplainable' down
that tire sort of explains it
get a rear tire
also as JOG already said, check your spokes, raise the back of the bike and check for loose wheel bearings, check to be sure your rear wheel is properly aligned. and check the rim isn't bent
when you crash a bike, you NEED to check these things as a matter of course BEFORE you go riding the bike around again

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 12/09/15 at 10:49:20

If you're not wanting to spend money right now, but have a grinder, if that was my tire, and I couldn't afford to replace it, I'd get it off the ground and spinning, ( saying what does not need said, spokes tight, wheel true) faster is better, and , if you've got the skills to run the grinder, eliminate the waves that the road sees when you are leaning.

Look at your tire, standing off to the side, looking at the far side.
It's not smooth. I call that pattern checking. The rearmost edge of the big tread pattern is standing high.  Run a hand over it, just parked.
But, step one is

Spoke check and rim condition.

Quite a learning curve in rim truing. I rode a ten speed and carried spoke wrenches with me. I got good at it.
The internet is a library.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #37 - 12/11/15 at 16:42:50

I checked for rear wheel warpage, there is no substantial warpage. I haven't checked the front for warpage, though.

The rear wheel was out of alignment, though. Using a straightedge, the right-hand side had around maybe 1-1/4 inch between board and tire, and the left-hand side around 1/8 inch. Is that enough to cause bizarre handling/instability? I do know that it helped alleviate the belt squeak. I moved the bike around and then propped it up and ran it with the tire off the ground, and then I used a wooden block to push the belt over a bit. It still sets against, or nearly against the pulley sidewall, but it's better than it was. The spinning resistance still seems more than it was the last time I checked the rear brake.  Maybe I need one of those rubber shims somebody keeps talking about. However, the pulley does not seem to have a lot of play in that direction. Sometimes I wonder about frame warpage Undecided. I know somebody here has that issue. He says he can make the rear wheel track but not the belt Tongue. On the other hand, my crash wasn't extremely violent; it was at a moderately low speed. Maybe it just got knocked out of alignment? I hope so. Undecided I remember looking at the swingarm marks a day or two ago, and I thought they looked the same, so I don't know. I doubt it had much of a problem when I bought it. Who knows?

Here's a mystery to solve: My odometer a day or two ago read 16691 miles. I haven't ridden it very much since the crash. Can anyone figure out the mystery? Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 12/11/15 at 22:57:19

I don't see a reply regarding the lumpy tread on the edges of the tire.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #39 - 12/11/15 at 23:15:36

Yes, I know my tire is lumpy! Roll Eyes  I mentioned that a long time ago already Tongue

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #40 - 12/11/15 at 23:18:02

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/07/15 at 09:46:51:
You can see from the third picture that the tread is worn unevenly. Certain thick parts of the tread stick out like wings. Is this what is called cupping, or is that something slightly different?

See, I said it first Cheesy

IP Logged
russ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bridgeport Ohio
Reply #41 - 12/12/15 at 05:46:54

I have a 66 Dream , bought it to get back into riding 6 or so years ago. tires looked decent so figured to get a season out of em . I did. but they felt like I was ridin on marbles. next season I got dunlops for her , what a diff it made . when my wife started to ride with I had to upgrade to bigger bike , bought the 650 as I liked the look. just enough power for the 2 of us ( only 300 lbs or so between us ) had a new rear and looked to be decent front. after the first solo ride I knew a tire was due cause of the marble feelin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 12/12/15 at 17:05:45

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/11/15 at 23:15:36:
Yes, I know my tire is lumpy! Roll Eyes  I mentioned that a long time ago already Tongue

Well, you're,best I can tell, asking Why might the rear end feel squirrelly?
I'm saying that is probably why.
Couple that with old, and a touring tire, too,, get a tire.
The Dunlop was affordable and dependable in How it acted, wet or dry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:40:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evil Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.