Evil Rear Tire (Read 335 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Evil Rear Tire
12/06/15 at 15:42:40

In the aftermath of my trip into Devil's Fork and the subsequent crash, something has been amiss with my rear tire. Albeit, today was the first day I rode it on the asphalt since the day of my crash so I haven't much opportunity to get used to it again.

Here is the condition of the rear tire. It is an 8 year old Metzler ME880 140/80-15 (date code 5007). It has a reasonable amount of tread left on it. It is a relatively flat tire, both from wear and profile design. Compared to a new Metzler I felt at a shop, the rubber is much softer than mine.

It is also worthy to note that the left hand peg is broken off with a ring that slides back and forth on a stub. I am sure that does not help handling very much  Tongue.

I am not sure whether it is an underlying mechanical problem, old rubber, broken peg-- Or, simply that it is all in my head Undecided Roll Eyes, but this rear tire feels like it has a mind of its own. I believe the tire pressure was slightly under or around 30 lb in both front and rear. The ride was softer, but the handling slow and mushy. I then brought them to about 36 rear, 32 front, and then it seemed better, quicker, more confidence inspiring. However, there was still something nagging me. That rear tire just doesn't feel secure. Can't trust it. Feels like it has a mind of its own; unstable. Maybe I'm just scared of it, and its all in my head. It does remind me of how that 83 Shadow felt when the PO took me for a ride on the back, and that tire was bald and low on air, I believe. Kinda felt like the rear was sliding out, but it wasn't. The feeling is not exactly the same but very similar.
For example, after turning onto my driveway, (on wet gravel/leaves, whatever), the rear slid out. I could say, "Well, I just hit a slick spot," but I'm not so sure. I get the feeling that the rear is wanting to go sideways. When I lean, the handling gets funny. I suspect that due to possible chicken strips forming.

Could the wheel be loose or something? Frame? Suspension? Anything but the rubber? I noticed that the crash caused some new belt squeaking. Misalignment? Not saying that the belt was centered beforehand, but it may be rubbing the pulley side now, causing the squeak. The swing arm marks are approximately the same on both sides.

Do tires just suddenly decide they hate you, or is this something that I just didn't notice? I've put 1000 miles on that old tire since I bought it.

Or Maybe that tire's haunted by the Devil Cheesy

BWAHAHAHAHA! Cheesy

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Evil Rear Tire
Reply #1 - 12/06/15 at 16:01:46

Thanks for the whole post, but, Eight Years Old, flat profile.

Done.

Decide what miles per year you're gonna run. Buy a tire to last three years. I was happy with one summer. I rode like a madman as often as not. The name of the tire escapes me, Ohh, Dunlop, I think..

I USED the snot slick, you're gonna lowside any second, OEM tire to help me regain the
Lower body weight shift
That dirt bikes taught me.
Stats show dirt bike riders crash less on roads.
Not suggesting you keep that tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 12/06/15 at 16:04:23

JOG, did you find that the slick, hard rears felt weird and unstable?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 12/06/15 at 16:07:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/06/15 at 16:01:46:

Done.

Decide what miles per year you're gonna run. Buy a tire to last three years. I was happy with one summer. I rode like a madman as often as not. The name of the tire escapes me, Ohh, Dunlop, I think..

I USED the snot slick, you're gonna lowside any second, OEM tire to help me regain the
Lower body weight shift

The cool thing about low mileage tires is that you get the opportunity to try so many  Cheesy.

I bet Metzlers suck because they have so much tread that they wear flat and dry rot before they wear out Tongue. Not only does it get more dangerous, but then you don't get to try out all those different treads Too much money for nothin'  Tongue

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 12/06/15 at 16:18:43

Done.

Lower body weight shift

Can you find me some of these statistics?
Everyone has been encouraging me to do some dirt riding. I might just give it a try. What kind of dirt riding do you recommend? Flat, fast, and slick, or rough, steep, and slow? I may have more opportunities with the latter.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #5 - 12/06/15 at 16:20:45

Done.

Lower body weight shift

Besides the wear, it seems that this tire was kinda flat from the factory. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 12/06/15 at 16:27:07

cheapnewb24 wrote on 12/06/15 at 16:04:23:
JOG, did you find that the slick, hard rears felt weird and unstable?

Just grabbed mine. Doesn't feel weird or unstable. Wait, were you talking about tires?

A touring tire is Gonna be harder than the average tire. I had two , off brand, name escapes me, first one was like an octopus, sucking down to the road, got about 3,500 out of it, cheap tire, and I went to get another,, same price, Way different performance. It felt squirrelly, and lasted about 5,000 ,  okay, I went to Dunlop, and stayed with it,
Consistent, dependable performance. I had to wire the peg rubber on a peg, because I had worn it through, the bike Will lay down in a corner. I've been in literal pain from the peg crushing my foot between the peg and bike. Get a Real tire. And have fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 12/06/15 at 16:30:39

Yes I was talking about tires Roll Eyes

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 12/06/15 at 16:32:54

Done.

Lower body weight shift

Awwww! Now you make me want to keep that tire Grin

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/06/15 at 16:46:31

Seriously, does anyone else have any experience/opinions to share?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 12/06/15 at 16:47:32

By the way, can lacking a good footpeg cause instability?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/06/15 at 17:27:30

IDK if a bad peg can cause instability. I know I Used my pegs to set the bike in a corner, so, yeah, IF you're pushing it, I can see it, but easy riding, not what I would expect.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/06/15 at 18:38:13

You need to check the bike from top to bottom.
the front forks maybe bent or simply out of alignment.
maybe your rear axle isn't tight and against the stops.

but most likely, you've damaged the tire with the low pressure.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #13 - 12/06/15 at 19:31:42

I wouldn't think that 30 psi, or a little less, is low enough to damage the tire. How low does the pressure need to be in order to cause damage?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/06/15 at 19:39:57

Check out the spokes, look at the rim. Look at the tire / rim and see if the tire is beaded the same all around, both sides.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evil Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.