Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A couple of basic questions. (Read 86 times)
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A couple of basic questions.
12/06/15 at 08:20:11

Hello Guys,

I am the "I bought a box of bits" thread person. I am not sure if I should of continued the old thread or started a new on so if I have broken protocol, sorry.

If you read the other thread the bike is running and I have now done about 6 - 8 miles on a private road and it is perfect except for yesterday afternoon. I had the hardest job to start it (I read somewhere to start it with he throttle fully closed and I hope that is right) and once it was running I had to hold the throttle at about 1500 rpm just to keep it running and even then it just did not sound right. If I let go of the throttle  the engine stopped like I had turned the key off. From this I deduced that I had some dirt in the fuel tank which I had not flushed correctly and that I had blocked the slow running jet. However last night I read up on the petcock issue so this morning I turned it to prime and the machine started and ran beautifully. While it was running I turned the petcock to normal and within 10 seconds the engine tried to stall and the previous symptoms returned. I turned the petcock back to prime and instantaneously the engine picked up again. From this can we all agree I need a new petcock? If so is there a write up on how to do it. Obviously I can change it but I guess I have to cap the vacuum lines. Also am I right in thinking that there is no burning issue with this as me switching to prime to run (and on when I park up) is just the same as turning the Raptor tap on and off?
Second question and only a new guy could ask this. I guess that Raptor is a model of motorcycle but is it Suzuki, Honda, etc. Curious minds need to know before they head off to the wrong dealership.

Supplemental Question. The previous owner had saddlebags which she kept, I have the chrome brackets that stop the bags getting into the wheels. Now my sainted lady wife has offered to buy me some bags for Christmas however the bags I have seen have a strap that goes under the saddle. Does this not interfere with the rectifier that is mounted on the fender? Anybody have recommendations for good quality bags.
As always many thanks
DavidP

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: A couple of basic questions.
Reply #1 - 12/06/15 at 08:32:08

Everything Raptor, here... Yamaha Raptor that is... Cool...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/06/15 at 21:09:44

I use my saddlebags as 'throwovers' the strap goes on top of the seat
Zip tie the rings on the bags to the brackets and they're pretty secure

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/07/15 at 00:35:03

DavidP wrote on 12/06/15 at 08:20:11:
Supplemental Question...Now my sainted lady wife has offered to buy me some bags for Christmas however the bags I have seen have a strap that goes under the saddle. Does this not interfere with the rectifier that is mounted on the fender?

It can, depending on the yoke.  If you put the yoke over the R/R you're going to have a melt down and if you mount the R/R on top of the yoke you'll have premature failure of the R/R eventually from airflow issues.  Some have relocated the regulator/rectifier, but I simply made a cutout in the yoke for it and all is well.  I should mention that I didn't feel like the yoke was as secure with that cutout so you can use a leather punch on both sides and lace it up.  That's what I did.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
DavidP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/08/15 at 08:44:39

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have ordered a Raptor petcock and as soon as that arrives I will cure that issue. I spoke to he original owner yesterday and she confirmed that she did cut a section out of the yoke to avoid covering the rectifier heat sink. So now to find some good looking saddlebags.
DavidP

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:39:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A couple of basic questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.