Car AC question.... (Read 73 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Car AC question....
12/05/15 at 09:46:02

My little Ranger 4X4 has air conditioning that I have never used.
I noticed the other day it was making some noise, kicking in and out, and causing my engine to load up at idle, which made the motor rev higher to compensate for the low idle loading, I guess.
I guess the clutch, or ?? is bad on it, and I noticed once I got home it was smoking at the pulley when I popped the hood.
The pulley was moving freely, but something at the front of the unit was extremely hot.
I pulled the wire harness, let it cool, and now with no power to it, it works fine, or I mean, it ain't smoking hot no more  Grin

Since I don't need, or use it, am I OK to drive it this way?

I am thinking it must have some bearings in there, that are toast, when it engages, but is a non issue when in "free spool"
Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Car AC question....
Reply #1 - 12/05/15 at 09:49:59

Would it be possible to lube the bearings if they're dry or is it a sealed system?

You could always use a shorter belt and not engage the AC pulley. Use a string wrapped around the rest of the pullies to measure what size you need.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/05/15 at 10:12:52

NO AIR-CONDITIONING ?????!!!!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked...

Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 12/05/15 at 10:30:27

Kris01 wrote on 12/05/15 at 09:49:59:
Would it be possible to lube the bearings if they're dry or is it a sealed system?

You could always use a shorter belt and not engage the AC pulley. Use a string wrapped around the rest of the pullies to measure what size you need.

Looks to be a sealed unit, and they make a dummy pulley for it. It sits/attaches to my power steering unit, tho both have separate pulleys. I see where they offer as, you suggest, a shorter belt to, at some of the auto parts store. You just tell them make/model, etc, and they do the math  Grin

I just hardly drive it, but when I do, it is not a good time, weather wise, to be stranded  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/05/15 at 10:52:15

Were you running the defroster? If the a.c. is not okay, then leave the clutch wires off and Test run it. The heat may have been due to quick, constant cycling, and, maybe did no harm to the bearings.
Defrost uses  a.c. ..Dave can tell us why.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 12/05/15 at 11:29:02

Yes, I had the defroster on.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 12/05/15 at 13:26:02

If it freewheels ok with the ac off ,should be ok to drive it. The clutch bearing is about the only thing you can replace without dismantling the compressor, fwiw. Smoke coming from the front of the  compressor sounds like maybe the compressor might be siezed. Nothing to be done but replace it. A quick visit to the ac shop will tell. You're really supposed to run the ac fir a few minutes every couple of weeks to avoid this kindof thing. The ac system has a dose of oil loaded into it and iit circulates around with the gas. It needs occasionally running to keep oil where it needs to be especially in the bits of the compressor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 12/05/15 at 13:36:33

And that is gospel. A parked vehicle is neglected. And an old, low mileage Savage is just documented neglect. Careful steps can bring it back, but the cylinder may be dry. Starting it before oiling it may be the beginning of the end.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 12/05/15 at 13:40:48

Yes, that seems the case, re: lubrication.

I ran it around the hood for 15 minutes within walking distance to the house in this pouring rain, just in case.  Cheesy

Ran GREAT, even seemed better than before, maybe it was loading the motor at higher drive speeds too?
I ran the defroster, fan, heat, etc, all is good to go.

Think I'll leave it be for now, as I am busy on the TT board trying to educate, the uneducated-able   Grin

Thanks all appreciate it mucho gracias  Kiss

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 12/05/15 at 13:45:01

Did you plug the clutch back in?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 12/05/15 at 17:13:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/05/15 at 13:45:01:
Did you plug the clutch back in?

Nope.......no AC or defrost using compressor, but it still defrost good enough without it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 12/05/15 at 17:24:37

If anyone else has reason to be under that hood, be careful that they don't
Help you, by hooking it up for you.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 12/06/15 at 00:02:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/05/15 at 10:52:15:
Defrost uses  a.c. ..Dave can tell us why.

My alias was never Dave!  Grin

The AC sends dry air to the defroster. Think of the dry air like a sponge. If the defroster used humid air it wouldn't be as efficient. Part of the air conditioner's responsibility is to pull humidity out of the air. The dry air blowing over your window soaks in the moisture that's accumulated and allows you to see.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 12/06/15 at 03:39:12

Yeah....what Kris01 said.

The outside air goes through the defroster and cools down, and most of the moisture condenses on the A/C coil....the air that then goes past the heater coil is much drier, and it therefore removes the fog/frost on the inside of the window much faster.

If you were blowing warm moist air on the cold windows the moisture doesn't remove the fog well....and sometimes it even makes them foggier!   Ever turn on the defroster and see the windows get even more foggy?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:17:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Car AC question....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.