Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chaps...worth it? Cold weather riding (Read 289 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Chaps...worth it? Cold weather riding
Reply #15 - 12/06/15 at 10:55:38

Awesome! I love formulas! Thanks!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/06/15 at 12:49:31

I had a snow mobile suit in Odessa. Dude was a salesman at Firestone, tires, yes, and, they had audio gear, including tuner/turntabe/8 track. I bought it from him. Years later, they closed.
One day I see a BBQ joint, on the side of the road,on wheels, behind a truck. Dang if it ain't that guy.. come winter, this dude has another trailer, just outside of town,too, and he's selling winter work clothes to roughneck types. Entrepreneurial spirit and guts,  I hope he did well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #17 - 12/06/15 at 12:49:35

Serowbot wrote on 12/05/15 at 08:59:34:
If you can get over the "assless chaps" stigma,.. they do help.

See, I never get that... isn't the lack of a <ahem> "seat" the characteristic which distinguishes chaps from trousers?  Just seems redundant, like calling a convertible a "roofless convertible"...

Anyhoo, I have a pair of overalls like Carharts that I wear below freezing, seems to work pretty well for an hour or so.  I don't often ride below freezing, but have a few times.  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 12/06/15 at 12:57:16

Well, Now ya done gone and Dunnitt!
Logic,, totally destroying the meaningless derision.
Of COURSE theyze assless, that's what makes them chaps..

Imagine walking past the bunkhouse on a ranch, two cowboys, getting ready to ride the fence.
You overhear...

Uhh, hey, uhh, Billy Bob, would ya pass me muh assless chaps?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 12/06/15 at 12:58:08

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 12/06/15 at 15:09:08

I can ride with flannel lined jeans when it is cold (50'ish) - but when the temps drop you need something top and bottom that is windproof.  If I put my rain suit on it helps a lot....it keeps the wind from blowing through the woven fabric.

The Sport Touring crowd has lots of clothing options - but ski and snowmobile clothing is most likely more affordable.  Be sure to keep it away from the header and muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 12/06/15 at 15:39:48

I just Despise commercials. I own no Duluth clothing. I will Stop the fast forward to watch Duluth commercials. I Want some of their stuff. Totally American..

My birthday is coming up,

Hint,

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 12/06/15 at 16:26:07

I had thought about snowmobile stuff but being in an area that averages 4 inches of snow per year, I don't believe I will find any of it.

Ski stuff I hadn't really thought about.  I will have to check that out.  We have several ski resorts within a couple hours drive and ski stuff is in all the sporting goods stores.

I'm not a fan of bib overalls at all so I really haven't looked at them.  I looked at some carhart insulated overalls the other day though.  The insulation was very thin and there was really nothing to try to seal out cold wind or anything.  They looked just like regular overalls with a very thin lining.

Insulated leather jacket and insulated gloves are taken care of.  My jeans just let in too much wind and cold.  During the winter I don't ride all that far but I do like to be sort of comfortable doing it. I hate coming home and my knees are extremely cold and a little stiff. An extra pair of socks usually does it for my feet unless I'm on a long ride.

I like the look of the Duluth stuff. It looks to be good quality, well made clothing which is hard to find these days. Thanks for the link. I took a quick look around and I really like those alaskan pants.  That might do the trick although I did see one review that said under 50 you'd want to layer.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #23 - 12/06/15 at 19:15:19

I have a couple of pairs of the unlined Duluth fire hose jeans that I use as my everyday riding pants.I haven't tested them in a crash (hope I never do) but I believe they would be more abrasion resistant than ordinary denim jeans sliding down the road. They look pretty much the same as regular jeans when off the bike. The weave of the fabric is very tight and they are thicker than Denim jeans so they are actually pretty windproof. With a pair of poly longjohns under them I'm comfortable down into the mid 40s on extended rides. Like anything made of cotton though, they are worthless if they get really wet and they take a long time to dry. I keep an inexpensive pair of nylon rain pants in my saddle bag to pull over them in case I get caught in the rain.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 12/06/15 at 21:11:51

I found a pair of insulated bib-overalls in Florida in March , nylon with the jacked to match.   They have turned into my favorite cold weather gear.   I Also found a pair of large cuff gloves with a zipper in the cuff that holds a "Rain Mitten" (warm)  Wink $20.00 or so --- the nylon stuff was more like $60.oo ... but warm is Good !    I wore my chaps last Saturday because it was only down to 45 deg F and left them on all day (got up to 60 deg F), the nylon would have had to come off.  Wink

They both earn there place in the closet !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 12/07/15 at 22:03:27

Chaps work fine down to about 10F. Most motorcycle gloves are useless by 40F.

Surplus store. German dispatch rider mittens are good to 25F or so. Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish dispatch mittens are good to around 5F. Russian versions are good to roughly -15F.

Dispatch riding winter trousers and jackets from those countries are rated to even colder temps.

Wool over sock, polypropylene liner sock. Polypropylene long johns for sub 30F riding.

I'll ride down to 10F intentionally. Can handle colder but not fond of it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 12/08/15 at 07:02:31

I have a pair of Wrangler flannel lined genes that are very warm in really cold weather.  They work great on the bike; have ridden in the 30's with them, with and without chaps.  Warm and warmer.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #27 - 12/08/15 at 09:47:13

I have a pair of Red Head fleece lined jeans that are great (pretty cheap at Bass Pro Shop).  I wear a base layer under those for temps below 35 or so.  Any colder and I throw ski pants over jeans.  Those zip all the way up the legs so it's easy to take 'em off with boots on.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 12/08/15 at 14:53:57

I have a pair of riding pants from Jafrum which I bought about 2 years ago for around $50.00. They have some cheapo armor and a liner that you can remove. I wore them last week without the liner while riding in mid to low 40's temp at highway speeds. I was comfortable. What I have yet to find is a good pair of cheap winter gloves. The right bottom pant leg has been burned up a bit, but still good. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #29 - 12/08/15 at 21:00:46

I wear snowmobile gloves with Thinsulate and they keep my hands warm all winter in North Texas.

It doesn't get below 40 degrees here very often.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:26:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chaps...worth it? Cold weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.