Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need some advise for my sleeping savage (Read 153 times)
Phil239
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Myers FL
need some advise for my sleeping savage
12/05/15 at 08:25:57

So I was riding out for about 2 hours last week and out of nowhere without warning the bike shut off on me. I heard what sounded like grinding/moving metal parts coming out of the right side engine cover and when I tried to start again just clicks and nothing. I noticed a fair amount of oil on top of the casing as well. When I managed to get it towed back home I drained her and was shocked to discover less than a quart of oil in her despite an oil change just 2 months ago. I open up the Casing as well and could see nothing broken besides a tear in the gasket and the cam chain adjuster is overextended but beyond that I see nothing wrong. Any ideas on what could have caused the shutdown and how to prevent it in the future would be great.im including a picture so of anyone see something wrong that I've missed please speak up Wink .If it helps my bike is a 2002 savage with about 20,000 miles on it and I ride about 50-100 miles a day on average. I do ride her pretty fast an hard  Grin

photo_009.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: need some advise for my sleeping savage
Reply #1 - 12/05/15 at 08:40:02

Did you see junk in the oil? Run a magnet through it? I'd autopsy the oil filter, look for excess shiny stuff. I'd get it running, Then fix the cam chain tensioner issue.
Battery Must be charged. Your starter engaged, cranking voltage has to still fire the ignition system, some of these guys know what that voltage is, off the tippy tops of their eggy little heads.
If all you are getting is clicking
Check battery.
If battery is charged,
Check voltage at starter when you hit start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/05/15 at 08:48:03

Pull that gasket out of the way,.. can't see anything from here,.. but loose stuff usually drops to the bottom.
Might be some crumbled tensioner guide down there...

Riding fast and hard will use some oil,... check at every fuel-up if you're going over 70mph for long periods.

Noise, plus stop, plus oil = something more than just routine.
Tensioner guides are plastic, but fish a magnet around in there anyway...

Good luck.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Phil239
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Myers FL
Reply #3 - 12/05/15 at 08:55:24

no metal shavings in the oil or oil filter although the filter is definitely in need of replacement, will purchase a magnet later today to check more thoroughly. My main confusion is why it shut  off in the first place does the savage come equipped with a low oil cutoff?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/05/15 at 09:26:41

noop...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/05/15 at 09:31:25

pull the timing cover on the left side,... then use a 17mm socket to see if it will turn freely in neutral... go ccw...

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 12/05/15 at 09:41:40

I flipped your picture for those who have to turn their head (like me) to view it right side up!  Cheesy

photo_009.jpg

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/05/15 at 09:47:54

Kris01 wrote on 12/05/15 at 09:41:40:
I flipped your picture for those who have to turn their head (like me) to view it right side up!  Cheesy

Oh,... so now all those loose parts will fall to the bottom... Huh...

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 12/05/15 at 09:55:50

I didn't want all of that oil draining on his rear tire. Makes for a bad day you know!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 12/05/15 at 10:23:32

At the very least a call to Versy is in order. Is that a pun???
You caught it in time at least.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 12/05/15 at 10:26:58

Serowbot wrote on 12/05/15 at 09:31:25:
pull the timing cover on the left side,... then use a 17mm socket to see if it will turn freely in neutral... go ccw...

take sparky out too (jog will remind you to clean the top off so dirt won't fall in)

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 12/05/15 at 13:15:54

Phil239 wrote on 12/05/15 at 08:55:24:
no metal shavings in the oil or oil filter although the filter is definitely in need of replacement, will purchase a magnet later today to check more thoroughly. My main confusion is why it shut  off in the first place does the savage come equipped with a low oil cutoff?  

Maybe the low oil condition caused to to run too hot and partially (or fully ) sieze, or the oil remaining isn't enough to do its job and return to the sump in time, making it run dry and ditto.be good to know what happens when you try to bar it over. Riding that far and quickly every day, I'd be checking the oil level more often. Like JoG says, its drinks oil at speed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 12/05/15 at 13:52:08

Oil consumption per mile varies. New,  low mileage oil, goes further at speed. When it starts needing oil regularly after a good hard ride, change oil, regardless of miles. The oil is crushed and sheared in the transmission. Watching how oil is made, specifically the W factor, allowing cold oil to circulate easily, yet maintain viscosity at operating temperatures, will bring it all into focus.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 12/05/15 at 18:04:10

You're tight, JoG. The OP's bike after 2 months of 50-100 miles a day at speed, that oil is well past its use by date (IMNSHO). Averaging it out a bit gives around 4500 miles on one load of oil. The oil could have lost a lot of it's multigrade ability by that mileage, and as you rightly say, that makes the engine drink oil.

Another thought, backed by no evidence at all: The engine stopped, with accompanying mechanical grindings. Wonder if the oil pumped to the top end before it could drain back, pump ran dry and seized before the engine did. Then there'd be no evidence of the metal throughout the engine, 'cause the pump couldn't pump it there.  Guess we will find out in due course.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 12/05/15 at 18:15:05

How much oil came out?

search

oil pump cavitation

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:33:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need some advise for my sleeping savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.