Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$50 PayPal reward if you help me fix my bike (Read 218 times)
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

$50 PayPal reward if you help me fix my bike
12/01/15 at 17:07:30

$50 PayPal reward if you can help,me fix my bike by myself.
2007 Suzuki ls650
I was having to keep battery charged and just put a new one in.
Old battery was over 10'yrs old, I bought the bike a year ago.
I had been riding it a couple times a week, one day it wouldn't start.
It would almost fire up then battery would die and start clicking.
Old battery had no fluid in it at all but added distilled water charged for a week. And rode it a few more times. Then same thing so I ordered a new battery, but same thing happens. Battery connects are good, took the seat off wires are good, fuses are good. Drained the carb because YouTube told me too! Lol one me time it almost started and backfired so loud the neighbors called, that was before the new battery was in. After I try to,start if for a bit the new battery dies and clicks. I am charging it now.
I could take it to the shop but I would have to have it towed. It has gas 3/4 to half a tank of new gas. I can text videos of the sounds if needed just need your number. been trying to start it in neutral. Today I tried to start it in first with clutch in and kickstand up and it jerks forward. But then battery was drained. Don't ever remember it jumping forward in first before. Any questions welcome. I haven't checked the spark plug either, nervous about taking the tank off. Smells flooded. What would the rectifier sy toms be? All the lights come on though.
I would gladly appreciate your help!
Keith Love

IP Logged
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: $50 PayPal reward if you help me fix my bike
Reply #1 - 12/01/15 at 17:12:22

Better yet, I know this will be a community of people helping so if the person that helps wants to for go the $50, I am a graphic designs and have a print shop and can use our bike photos to make a 2016 calendar and give them away to people that helped. I'll print extras and send the the website owner for free to sale on here to donate to the site.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/01/15 at 18:10:37

Keith 2570 wrote on 12/01/15 at 17:07:30:
$50 PayPal reward if you can help,me fix my bike by myself.

You can donate to the site, that be great.

Quote:
one me time it almost started and backfired so loud the neighbors called, that was before the new battery was in. After I try to,start if for a bit the new battery dies and clicks. I am charging it now.

Backfire because of dead battery.  charging new battery should fix it, most new batteries aren't fully charged.

Quote:
Today I tried to start it in first with clutch in and kickstand up and it jerks forward.

It will do that, clutch is sticky when cold, start in neutral.

Quote:
Smells flooded.

gonna need a new plug then.

Quote:
What would the rectifier symptoms be? All the lights come on though.

bad rectifier would be poor charging, you need about a half running at good speed to fully charge the battery.

constant overcharging would be another symptom which could be why the battery was dry, but you need to check it every 6 months anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #3 - 12/01/15 at 18:35:44

it is flooded ,,petcock or float seat or float seat  o ring  or some one messed with the carb float setting.. pull airfilter and check and drain airbox puke tube

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/01/15 at 18:56:50

Gas has been known to get to the oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/01/15 at 20:34:49

Air filter good, I had already drained the puke tube. Petcock seems to be working. When I drained the carb I then turned to prime and it flowed gas so that seems to be working. Any time it floods does it need a new plug?
Not sure about the carb flat setting I'll look that up. I'm the only one who messes with the bike and I didn't knowingly mess with it I'm not sure where it even is. Before this stared all I did hook the charger to the battery and take the battery out. But it ran good for few weeks after that. It was just one random day. But I do think flooding may be the problem because when the battery was dying I tried to start it a lot. I'm just not brave enough to take the tank off. Started it tonight but stopped. Will it unflood by itself if I leave it for a week or so no trying to start if. It been in the 30's at night and 50's during the day. What's the problem with gas in the oil? Is that from flooding? I guess I oulet put my finger in it and see if smells like gas? i sure appreciate you guys.

IP Logged
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/01/15 at 20:37:16

Sorry for misspelling and such! I'm doing this on my phone Siri hates me I guess. I read back over it and think what the heck did I say. I am from Arkansas but I really can spell and I do wear shoes, most of the time.

IP Logged
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/01/15 at 20:38:33

If it is flooded what besides changing the spark plug should I do?

IP Logged
Keith 2570
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/01/15 at 20:40:53

Here's Sally!

image.png
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 12/02/15 at 04:10:17

I'm no expert, but on these things you need a good and charged battery.  Like Versy said, charge the battery before you start most anything.

I had an '87 with a sorta bad rectifier, short rides would kill the battery in about a week. A good long ride would take care of things. I installed a battery tender to eliminate the problem. Cheaper than a rectifier.

Just because a battery is new does not mean it is good.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 12/02/15 at 16:40:03

One thing that must be done is to measure the voltage when it is running.
It needs to be around 14.5 volts. Which will keep the battery charged.
If it is not in that "general' area the charging system is not working properly.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 12/02/15 at 16:44:22

P.S
The paypal reward.      Send it to my long lost uncle Smiley
But only if my hunch proves to be correct.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 12/02/15 at 21:52:59

Check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. Like norm said, it needs to be about 14.5 volts at above idle. If it's not, start tinking about rectifier or wiring problems.
My bike did exact same thing a while back. I'd relocated the rectifier and needed to extend the wires where the 3 wire white plug clicks into the rectifier. I made an extension loom with 3 bullets each end and plugged it in. Worked fine for ages until my bike started showing symptoms of a flat battery. Jump started it a couple times then got around to checking the charge voltage. It was pumping 20 volts into the battery, had cooked it dry and gave the same symptoms as a flat battery.
Turned out one of the leads had come unplugged from the white plug, causing the rectifier to not rectify anymore. Once I plugged that lead back in and topped up the battery it went back to normal and the battery even still works.
It's easy to test the wiring loom for continuity and the output voltage.

If it's only 12 v and not going above that while fast running, you might have a bad stator, wiring fault or rectifier.
The other problems I think would have been related to trying to start it with a flat battery. good luck.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 12/03/15 at 14:12:01

Testing the voltage while running is a good idea although bad stators are rare.  I'm betting it's not that.  

Testing the voltage while not running may reveal more.  If you test the voltage while not running and you identify a power loss then you're looking at a parasitic draw that might be caused by a bad regulator rectifier.  If you connect your multimeter to your battery and leave it there for a few minutes and see the voltage dropping you should test the rectifier.  It's very simple to test and replace if needed. It's a $20, five minute fix.  If you don't know how to test your regulator rectifier here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n6oNFfcCOA

Do the tests and let us know how it goes.  If I'm right, then donate the reward to the site please.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 12/04/15 at 22:17:46

I heard these words

PetcoCk seems to be working good....

Do this test....follow it step for step....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

You should not have a flooding issue with this bike.....

If you followed the directions on the petcoCk test and it works correctly, check your oil.... pull the fill cap, smell gas?

If so, you float needle seat is bad or the needle itself is not seating.

Remove the spark plug and clean it.... replace and do those electrical tests above... if you have followed all these directions.... you will find the issue...

Hang in there... these guys are guru's and will help figure it out, me? well I just did what they told me to do and pass it on.... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:36:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $50 PayPal reward if you help me fix my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.