Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help in Re starting my Savage (Read 84 times)
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help in Re starting my Savage
12/01/15 at 06:46:38

My Suzuki Savage has been in storage for more than two years (garage kept) and has been sitting there untouched.... I need to bring it back to life... Please tell me what I should do and purchase for it to turn over when I start the engine... Few things I know I must purchase are:

1. New Battery
2. New Rectifier
3. New Spark Plug

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help in Re starting my Savage
Reply #1 - 12/01/15 at 07:14:58

1. new battery, maybe, did you charge it? got a volt meter?
2. new rectumfryer, why?  these don't go bad from sitting.
3. new sparky, see 2.

charge the bat, change the oil, might need to clean the carb, fresh gas, give her a go.  ya never know.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/01/15 at 08:09:09

start by draining all the old gas out of tank AND carb
add fresh gas
fuel switch to prime
"choke" on full
fire er up!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/01/15 at 08:19:17

Any link for a DIY Carb Rebuild?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 12/01/15 at 08:27:32

use tech section search feature

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/01/15 at 08:55:34

If there is any fuel left in it.....I would drain that from the tank and carb bowl, then add fresh fuel before I tried to start it.

I would also consider removing the spark plug and spraying in some fogging oil that Sta-Bil makes so the cylinder is lubricated (or at a minimum remove the plug and put in a couple of ounces of light oil).  Lancer fired up a Savage that had been in storage for a few years, and the piston/cylinder was dry and the piston got scored from lack of oil.  I guess the oil can eventually all drip of the piston/cylinder when stored for long periods of time.

Here is a thread for a bike that I recently brought out of a 9 year period of being dormant.....maybe some of it will apply to your bike.  I cleaned the carb and it was a good decision - the float bowl definitely had some goo in it, and the pilot jet was plugged with dirt/corrosion.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732

Since you know the bike....I would recommend the following:

Clean any dirt away from the spark plug hole, then remove the spark plug and spray in Sta-Bil starting fluid.  It will lubricate the piston and cylinder which are probably dry after sitting for 2 years.  Replace the spark plug.

Attempt to slow charge the battery back to life....no more than a 1.5 amp charger (OK....2 amp if that is what you have).

Drain all fuel out of the tank and carb.  I would recommend taking the float bowl off to see what is in there....and if there is goo or corrosion I would take the jets out and clean them at a minimum.  The pilot jet is small and easily plugged up when sitting dormant.  You could skip this step if you are willing to gamble that the carb is clean and the bike will run just fine....it really won't hurt anything to see if the bike will start and run before you take the float bowl off.

I wouldn't change the oil or ail oilter until after you have the bike running again.  If you remove the filter the engine will be running for a bit with no oil pressure as it is filling the filter housing up with oil....and I would rather start the bike up and get oil moving around in the oil passages and up to the cam and rockers ASAP on start up.

If you really want to be sure.....I would remove the exhaust valve inspection cover and squirt some oil on the cam and rockers.

If the bike was sitting in an area where it got anything corroded, you might want to take the rear wheel off and clean out the rust from the brake drum.  Applying the brakes on a rusty drum really hurts the performance of the brake shoes when the loose rust gets jammed into the friction material.

Add fresh fuel and put a working battery back in.....and see if the bike will start and run.  Sit on the bike and pull the bike up off the kick stand so it is vertical, and try to fire it up.  Don't let it idle on the kickstand as the low oil pressure and tippy angle seems to be hard on the right side cam lobe.  Run it for a few minutes if it runs well, and then go for a nice gentle ride.  If the bike doesn't run well....time for a carb cleaning session.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 12/01/15 at 14:21:44

I'd blow the dirt from around the plug, pull it, put some oil in the hole, and let it sit till I could roll it in fifth gear and not sling oil.
Two years, how much oil is left on the rings?
I'd be likely to leave the plug out and run the starter a few seconds after the oil change, and not on the sidestand,
If you have the stock petcock, put it on prime, load the bowl. It's evaporated out, at best.
When these engines run too slow, oil doesn't get through it well.
If it's just barely running, might be good to have something to shoot into the intake,

We've seen one guy bring one outta storage and later on the cylinder and piston relationship got a bit rocky.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help in Re starting my Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.