Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Okay, I been cheatin' on ya (Read 149 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Okay, I been cheatin' on ya
Reply #15 - 12/03/15 at 22:45:28

between a Taller tire and larger front pulley I've had my S-40 up to 80mph (GPS) in second gear --- but like Dave said "5th gear is for 60mph and over".  At 75 on the super slab its nice .  Smiley and it still climbs our part of the Smokies here in Tn w/o down shifting  Cool.    Hard not to like it .

After getting off my Sportster --- the S-40 feels like a toy  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  actuality I guess it is !  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #16 - 12/03/15 at 23:19:07

Dave said:

I believe that bike builders all gear the bike so that at cruising speed they are up in the strong part of the power curve.  This is necessary so the engine won't be lugging too much when you add the windshield, saddle bags, second rider.....

I think Dave is right about what the mfgrs. are thinking. It follows that gearing will roughly correspond to displacement. What the 1500 -2000cc cruisers are doing is providing "too much engine", so that at 75-80mph the engine is producing enough power at 2K rpm to do the work required.

The price is an 800+ pound motorcycle with worse fuel mileage and all around higher cost.

If most of your time is spent flying down the super slab, it's probably worth it. But the rest of the miles, the cost is there but the benefit isn't. IMHO.

I've been watching some Suzuki M109 vlogs. Riders shift up at 1800rpm or below and they're zooming along. They are using the power like a diesel locomotive.  Cool

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 12/04/15 at 03:57:13

Sonny wrote on 12/03/15 at 23:19:07:
I've been watching some Suzuki M109 vlogs. Riders shift up at 1800rpm or below and they're zooming along. They are using the power like a diesel locomotive.  Cool

I got into a line of slow Cruiser bikes on the Tail of the Dragon one year very near the NC end.  Generally I just wait until we find a straight and accelerate past them....this time an M109 was in front of me.  He was really slow in the corners, and when we hit the straight he would open the throttle a bit and there was no way I could pass him.  The M109  had a muffler that sounded like an explosion in an oil drum.....and I could feel the exhaust pulses hitting me in the chest.  The acceleration at low rpm on that M109 was very impressive.

I have read a road test on the latest M109, and they confirmed exactly what I noticed on the Dragon.  The bikes are too long and have too low of ground clearance to corner aggressively - but they have tons of power and torque, and are supposed to be a blast to ride.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 12/04/15 at 09:06:07

I know Dave is right, it just bugs me to get on a cruiser expecting to just loaf along and wind up running 4k RPM at 60
If I change my thinking as I noted, then 4k doesn't seem all that frantic
most of the riding we did on the sisters run and pretty much any highway running is, to me, in the 'frantic' part of the RPM range, though that's where the power is
I like MMs idea of gearing up, and only using 5th for highway cruising, but haven't the resources to do that yet
I also think the riding position is what does it to me, on a Standard the same RPM would bother me not at all
Yesterday I stopped by the local Yamaha dealer and saw a new iteration of the Bolt
It had a built-up seat with a 'cafe cowling' in the back, mid controls,and clip-on type bars
Gave the bike a whole different feel, though I'd prefer the standard bar with that setup. I think the forward lean was more than on Dave's Cafe
that bike I'd push with no qualms
I really need to gather some resources an customize my bike, but right now I'm more focussed on improving my living situation, a 16x8 bunkhouse trailer is sorta cramped, as a homre

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #19 - 12/04/15 at 09:34:07

Dave said:
...this time an M109 was in front of me.  He was really slow in the corners, and when we hit the straight he would open the throttle a bit and there was no way I could pass him.

Another place you get this aggravation on 2-lane roads in TX is behind a heavy powerful pickup truck pulling a horse trailer or something similar. He is slow as dog in the turns, but when the double yellow line disappears he's pouring on the coal with his big engine and you can't overtake him. I used to think this was a jerk trying to ruin my day... then I realized he can't throw the livestock around in the turns and then he's trying to make up time in the straights. You can spend 30 or 40 minutes behind this kind of rig before you can get by him. Aargh.

It's hard to figure why anyone would like a MC that forced that kind of behavior, though.

A fair number of the M109s I encounter in DFW look to have been stripped to the frame and then built up with custom mods, wild LED systems, that sort of hoo-hah.

To each his own I guess.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Okay, I been cheatin' on ya

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.