Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Okay, I been cheatin' on ya (Read 149 times)
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Okay, I been cheatin' on ya
11/30/15 at 21:16:58

I am 6'3" and change, with two beloved Savages. I had to get something bigger from getting cramped up with a sore but on my thumpers.

So, I shopped the web for reviews and finally found a Kaw Vulcan 900 Classic with 4K miles for $4K on CL, a cream puff wife's bike.

Great ride, if anyone needs a big wide comfortable cruiser. I am having a blast on it. It is friendly, stable, good looking and a nice bike for the money. They are popular and widely available used.

I been doing the Jerry Palladino Ride Like A Pro DVD training for big bikes, based on police motor officer training for low speed maneuvering and in general not dropping a heavy bike. There is great stuff in that course for any rider of any bike.

What's fun is, I get on the Savages now and they feel like toys, like tiny, narrow, quick, maneuverable little pinto ponies by comparison. Just a blast. I have a whole new appreciation of them again.

But I love the 900cc Vulcan. Try one sometime. You get on it and think OMG, but let out the clutch and it's a great ride.

Other thing is, you get on the Vulcan forum and discover this particular bike is very well worked out. There are almost no design flaws or problem parts or systems compared to the Savage which we all know is a bit of a work in progress.

If it wasn't for the rainy cold Texas weather setting in I'd be cracking a wide grin right about now.

Vulcan_Delivery_2.jpg

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Okay, I been cheatin' on ya
Reply #1 - 12/01/15 at 07:11:21

I do like the look of the Vulcan
what sort of revs ya turnin at say 70-80 mph?

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #2 - 12/01/15 at 10:12:31

Pretty high (no tach on the bike.) But 70 is about it for me anyway.

People put a taller back tire on them, and also pulley sets are available. It's not too buzzy or rough on the freeway, though, and it's glad to turn the rpm's.

On Vulcans, you go to the 1700cc to get 70-80mph in the snoring mid 2000rpm range. I test rode one of those (a Nomad, with big instrumented fairing) but it was a lot heavier, and top heavier, and seemed like more weight than I was ready to deal with. Also, the forums indicated it has more troublesome and expensive maintenance quirks to deal with.

I think large V-twins are something you grow into if that's your thing. The 900 was as far as I was comfortable with. Its handling and weight are fairly light and responsive, CG is low, 580lbs. But it is big, wide and comfortable. The engine is good. Torqey across the rev range, and smooth. For my riding style it's real nice.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 12/01/15 at 14:18:49

A 900 isn't  to big. I think the BIG twin market has a loyal following for a,number of reasons. I rode one for a,lot of years and loved it. I eventually grew tired of it, sold it, only to replace it with a road bike less than half it's size.
For whatever reason the older I get the simpler I want to see my world become. When I was a kid I had an 80cc Kawi. It always just ran. No matter what you threw at it; it just ran. That is why I love these single cylinder bikes.
I'm. Glad you like your Kawi. The one I had nearly 40 years ago holds many fond memories for me. I hope yours does too.

« Last Edit: 12/01/15 at 17:35:39 by Gus »  

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 12/01/15 at 16:33:33

I had a Vulcan 900 custom a few years back.  It's a fine motorcycle and I still miss it.  I remember it being silky smooth with a real plush suspension and the big gas tank is also a bonus.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it.   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #5 - 12/01/15 at 17:35:18

Yes the V900 Custom is real nice. The cast wheels are a benefit with flats and tubeless tire choices. The ergonomics were in a way better for me than the Classic. I had to tilt up the Classic bars an inch or 2 to keep the grips from pinning my knees to the tank at full steering lock but now it's really comfortable. And I am riding at full lock, scraping the boards at lo speed doing figure 8s and weaves and u-turns in parking lots. You can do it all day on that bike.

I never had floorboards before but they are nice too, you can move your feet around. But you can;t lock your heel into them like you do with pegs. Your feet don't feel quite as attached to the bike. And then the heel shifter -- I can't get with that. I don't use it. I been toe shifting so long that it's instinctive.

In the end I got the Classic thinking two large equal sized tire patches on the road might make it stick a little better leaned over than the narrow 21" front wheel on the Custom. That might be BS, I don't know.

Heck, you do one thing, you never know if you should have done the other...  Wink

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/02/15 at 08:43:49

so still a spinner
1700 id too much CCs just to get a relaxed cruise at 70, what the heck is wrong with bike builders?

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #7 - 12/02/15 at 09:37:45

Art Webb wrote on 12/02/15 at 08:43:49:
so still a spinner
1700 is too much CCs just to get a relaxed cruise at 70, what the heck is wrong with bike builders?

That's the $64K question, innit?

They want you to buy the twice as expensive bike to get that thing they know you want.

The VN900 isn't as frantic as the Savage above 70mph, but you still find yourself fishing for one more gear from time to time. I'll probably mount a taller back tire when the OEM Dunlop wears out. But no hurry about doing it.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/02/15 at 09:49:55

How much the S40s frenzy bothers me depends a lot on my mindset
If I get on thinking 'cruiser relaxed ride' I'm unhappy
if I tell myself it's a sport single and ring it's neck I'm pretty ok wit it lol

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 12/02/15 at 09:57:00

Art Webb wrote on 12/02/15 at 09:49:55:
How much the S40s frenzy bothers me depends a lot on my mindset
If I get on thinking 'cruiser relaxed ride' I'm unhappy
if I tell myself it's a sport single and ring it's neck I'm pretty ok wit it lol

I think is something in between isn't it.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #10 - 12/02/15 at 10:02:25

Yes it is. The LS650 occupies a unique place in the MC world, from just about every perspective. There'd be a lot less grins without it.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #11 - 12/02/15 at 10:56:35

I "lucked out" with the S40.   I wanted a single for a few years and then I found this 2006 Suzuki with low miles and the right price.    After a few 40+/- rides, re jetting and muffler change , a 360 miler. Replace the original IRCs and 900+ mile putt over to Arizona.    I've always been happiest on the back roads putting along at 60 and enjoying the scenery.   The S40 fits my needs perfectly. Smiley        

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #12 - 12/02/15 at 11:44:36

Yes indeed, it's in its element on the county roads. And it is perfectly well suited to the tight and twisties at 60mph, once you learn to lean in and trust it. It isn't a crotch rocket but it's competent and predictable.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 12/02/15 at 14:21:55

old.indian wrote on 12/02/15 at 10:56:35:
I've always been happiest on the back roads putting along at 60 and enjoying the scenery.   The S40 fits my needs perfectly. Smiley        

This is exactly where I found myself after many years of riding my FLH. I sold it and spun through a few smaller bikes . . .with too many cylinders . . . And then I realized it was a big single I really pined after. I looked at many enduro's & so called multi sports. The I bumped into an LS and I knew I'd found what I wanted.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/03/15 at 04:33:21

Art Webb wrote on 12/02/15 at 08:43:49:
so still a spinner
1700 id too much CCs just to get a relaxed cruise at 70, what the heck is wrong with bike builders?

I believe that bike builders all gear the bike so that at cruising speed they are up in the strong part of the power curve.  This is necessary so the engine won't be lugging too much when you add the windshield, saddle bags, second rider........and tend to push the maximum load capacity of the bike.  Also it ensures that you aren't lugging the engine too much.  Motorcycles don't tend to have the gearing with any sort of overdrive.....high gear is generally the one that will get you to the maximum mph that the bike is capable of going.  The downside of this is that when you are riding alone, on level ground, with little wind in your face....the engine is spinning pretty fast and not really making much HP, and it does seem like a taller gear would be better.

My neighbor has a Suzuki Volusia 800, and got tired of hearing the twin wound up so high at cruise - so he changed the rear end to a 1400 rear end.  I changed my gearing on my Savage Cafe bike and it is now geared really tall........ 5th gear isn't used for anything under 60 mph.  If I wanted to see what my top speed is I would have to use 4th gear as 5th doesn't let the engine wind up enough to get into the rpm where it makes HP.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:23:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Okay, I been cheatin' on ya

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.