Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel (Read 403 times)
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel
11/30/15 at 12:47:02

Five months ago I bought a 1987 Savage from a guy on Craigslist. It has a fresh coat of paint, but was all in pieces. I have slowly put it back together (I've never done anything like this before), and I've hit a few snags here and there, i.e. a few missing cables, screws, bolts, washers, brake pads, etc.

Anyway, its about 90% done. I spent Thanksgiving weekend wrestling with the stock carb. Here's what I've done so far.

- Cleaned the heck out of the carburetor multiple times.
- White spacer mod, including the Ryca jet kit making the Main Jet 55 and the Pilot Jet 150.
- Straight exhaust. Not sure of the brand because I picked it up at Bobs Used Motorcycle Supply here in Phoenix. (Which is a great place to get used parts)
- Raptor Petcock.
- Cone air filter.
- Float needle is new, as are the gasket, jets, and the screws on the top and bottom of the carburetor.
- Adjusted the mixture screw according the the Progressive Guide found on this site. (Many thanks for that BTW!)
- Vacuum line on the carburetor is plugged.

HERE ARE THE SYMPTOMS
The bike starts and runs perfectly... for about 3 seconds. Then it chugs until it dies, which takes another 5-7 seconds.

I haven't had time to test the Coil or the Stator, yet. Although, I have been told it might be bad fuel.

I tested the fuel flow from the Petcock, and it flows beautifully.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. The weather here is perfect for a good ride, and I'm anxious to get back in the saddle.

Bike_001.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel
Reply #1 - 11/30/15 at 12:57:40

If you added a fuel filter in between the petcock and carb, remove it.
some filters just don't work with a gravity system.

cone filter, some have a heavy lip that blocks an intake on the upper part of the carb.  and cone filters aren't great with this carb.  if you can put a short straight duct (about the length of the original one) in between the filter and carb you'll be better off.

and if you don't have fresh fuel, waddayawaitinfor?

WWW   IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/30/15 at 15:06:00

I have two fuel filters, along with a box of spare parts. I have no plans to install them. I do have the original conduit thingy that went from the carb to the air box. I will give that a try. Maybe pick up a gallon of Premium on the way home.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully, I will have an update soon.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/30/15 at 15:09:36

regular is what's called for.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/01/15 at 05:06:16

Straight exhaust...?  It otta run, I guess,,don't expect good performance or easy to tune.
Usually, when something is throwing me confusing signs, I shoot stuff in the intake. Ill prove it has fuel.
And, yeah, if the gas is iffy, ditch it. Regular is all you need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/01/15 at 10:43:52

Bike still doesn't run. Same problem - runs great for about 3 seconds and then sputters and eventually stops.

The new gas helped. I can hear the difference. I'm not sure what to try next.

There are some baffles in the exhaust, but not much. It's loud. I'd like to solve the starting issue before I replace the exhaust.

IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/01/15 at 11:15:21

I just found this on another Motorcycle Forum. Could be worth a try.

"As is typical of many riders trying to analyze a problelm.............
Don't make this harder than it IS.

The symptoms you describe all point to a high voltage (spark) leak somewhere. Plug wires and boots would be the first choice; if the plugs are old, them too. When damp, the spark jumps to ground somewhere BEFORE reaching the plug. I have even seen it go down a crack in the white insulator of the plug itself.

ONLY AFTER that would I suspect coils next.

It is possible that something in the ignition module (CDI) is sensitive to moisture......but not likely.

Good luck. Keep us posted."

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/01/15 at 12:03:43

did you know that there's a screen in the float valve seat?

WWW   IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/01/15 at 13:46:48

I've never checked that screen. According to the schematic it looks tiny.

To be honest, I've got one friend who says it's electrical. I've got another friend who says its fuel. I've never built a motorcycle before so I am unsure. I will check the screen.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/01/15 at 13:56:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/01/15 at 05:06:16:
Straight exhaust...?  It otta run, I guess,,don't expect good performance or easy to tune.
Usually, when something is throwing me confusing signs, I shoot stuff in the intake. Ill prove it has fuel.
And, yeah, if the gas is iffy, ditch it. Regular is all you need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/06/16 at 10:57:40

Over the holidays I tried replacing the carb itself with one that is stock. I got the same thing - it started but then sputtered to a stop.

I tried replacing the jets on my first carb with stock jets and it sputtered to a stop.

I am convinced its a fuel issue. It fires up and runs fine for 1-3 seconds and then sputters to a stop.

I bought a petcock from a local dealer, which I thought was the Raptor. It may be one of the cheap Chinese knockoffs I've been reading about on this Forum. I have to check.

The spark plug is new and has no deposits on it and no discoleration. I gapped it according to the manual.

I tried running it without the air filter - same thing.
I have tried it with the stock exhaust - same thing.

I'm running out of things to try.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 01/06/16 at 14:52:05

If it's fuel, or you suspect it is, take a plastic tank from a lawn mower or tiller or something and hook a piece of hose between it and the carb. If it's a fuel flow issue, it should run with a completely different fuel system.

If it's a coil or something electronic, it's gonna be harder to isolate since it isn't a total failure.

We are assuming your battery is fully charged and you are using fresh gasoline.

Try rocking the kill switch a few times just in case it's got a little corrosion.  There is also a connector for the wiring up to the handlebars under the right front of the tank.  It has been known to come partially apart causing strange running, stalling, not running, running symptoms.

Look over eveything real good.  It's gotta be something simple that you just haven't seen yet.

Let us know how things progress.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/06/16 at 15:09:36

Steve H wrote on 01/06/16 at 14:52:05:
If it's fuel, or you suspect it is, take a plastic tank from a lawn mower or tiller or something and hook a piece of hose between it and the carb. If it's a fuel flow issue, it should run with a completely different fuel system.

...unless the issue is in the carb.  If the issue is before the carb then this would certainly prove it, though.

Question:
 After it sputters and dies can you start it right back up or do you have to wait awhile?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 01/06/16 at 15:32:00

I'm thinking since he said he changed carbs, it's probably not it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/06/16 at 16:37:08

Steve H wrote on 01/06/16 at 15:32:00:
I'm thinking since he said he changed carbs, it's probably not it.

Very good point.  That it came with two carbs raises questions for me though.  Either the PO was experiencing a similar problem and was experimenting with a solution or the original carb had a problem.  At a glance this certainly has the look of an air/fuel problem.  Coil?  Maybe, but out of all the times coil has been suggested in my experiences, it has been the problem exactly 0% of the time.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.