Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel (Read 403 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel
Reply #30 - 03/11/16 at 15:20:29

If the bike only runs for a few seconds then check/clean/replace the pilot jet. Just went through it with my bike. There's enough fuel in the bowl to let the bike run for a good minute so if it is shutting off right away there's something wrong past the float assembly.
 Does it run any better with the choke out or does it only start when you use the choke.
 Check for a vacumn leak by spraying the outside of the carb with carb cleaner while cranking the engine, you will need three hands for it or tie the clutch handle in while trying to start it.
 Keep the stock petc0ck in prime if you are still using one, it bypasses the diaphram.
 It sounds like a fuel problem but it could be electrical which is another can of worms.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 03/14/16 at 08:41:07

troyrr wrote on 03/11/16 at 11:28:13:
I just heard back from my Mechanic. It looks like the Cam Chain is out of adjustment. He wants $600 to do the repair. My question is: is this something I can do myself?

Unless it has a ton of miles your cam chain is fine
the stock cam chain adjuster would come apart long before the cam chain wears out
additionally, the cam chain would not cause the symptoms you describe

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/14/16 at 08:49:38

troyrr wrote on 03/11/16 at 11:28:13:
I just heard back from my Mechanic. It looks like the Cam Chain is out of adjustment. He wants $600 to do the repair. My question is: is this something I can do myself?

Most likely your mechanic is not familiar with the Verslagen modifications to the cam chain tensioner.  It allows you to move the tensioner to the second hole, and get twice the mileage out of your cam chain and a considerably lower cost.

And.....as others have said....a loose cam chain is noisy and potentially harmful if the tensioner comes apart - but it does not cause the bike to run poorly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 03/14/16 at 10:16:13

2 questions...

Where are you?... (someone may be close to help)...

Has this bike ever run since the bobber conversion?... (it's possible we have a rectifier/wiring mismatch)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/24/16 at 10:00:19

It looks like the guy who worked on this engine before I bought it used an orange sealant over the cylinder gasket. My mechanic thought some of this sealant might have gotten into the engine. He described a banging noise right before the motor shuts off. Maybe something is stuck?  

You are right about him not knowing about the cam chain adjustor.

I haven't tried replacing the Rectifier. I've replaced the Starter and Igintion Coil. The wiring looks right, though.

IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/24/16 at 19:39:58

Hey Serowbot,

What would indicate a wiring mismatch?

If it has run for a considerable amount of miles, say 1500, can one rule out this as a diagnosis?

Not trying to hijack the thread, looking for clarification as I am having some similar issues.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:34:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bad Stator? Coils? Or Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.