Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: How many times have you crashed (street, no drops)

7 (28%)
  5 (20%)
3-5  
  4 (16%)
6-11  
  0 (0%)
12+  
  0 (0%)
a bazillion  
  0 (0%)
not sure  
  0 (0%)
none  
  9 (36%)

Total votes: 25
« Last Modified by: cheapnewb24 on: 11/30/15 at 11:32:02 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Crashes (Read 366 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: Crashes
Reply #15 - 12/01/15 at 15:14:17

I've been down a few times but never over a few mph. Seems if you don't put your feet down when nearing 0 forward thrust; bikes tip over. Did I really just tell you guys this.��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 12/01/15 at 16:07:50

I can tell you that after multiple times, not just the three bikes I totaled, or the two cars I hit on bicycles, the times when
Am I gonna survive the next few minutes
never made my life flash before my eyes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 12/02/15 at 08:55:35

Old Indian I had a CB750 4, first bike that ever actually scared me, and tis is one of those 'should've crashed 'instances
I was riding this old clapped out Triumph 650 (i forget the model, it was pretty crappy by the time i took ownership of it) and met this Triumph enthusiast at the fillin station one day
After some jawboning and hemming and hawing he got around to offering me his fairly pristine old CB, and money, for my ratty old trumpet  Shocked
Can you say HELL YEAH?
on the way home a cager tried to change lanes into the opne I was in, and instinct took over
On my Trumpet, to get any fast acceleration at that speed I had to drop a gear, whack the throttle open and dump the clutch
Don't ever do that on a strong running CB 750 4
first and last time I ever did a wheelie on the street, and darn near crashed coming down (yup, i was still wet behind the ears)

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #18 - 12/02/15 at 13:26:29

Scary Bike = Kawa H2 750 2 stroke triple .  Pull the front as soon as you caught that narrow power band and cornered like it had a hinge in the frame....  Darn thing had me playing unicycle in the middle of a 270 degree off ramp.      Buddy's bike first and only time I rode one.

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #19 - 12/02/15 at 13:47:39

old.indian wrote on 12/02/15 at 13:26:29:
Scary Bike = Kawa H2 750 2 stroke triple .  Pull the front as soon as you caught that narrow power band and cornered like it had a hinge in the frame....  Darn thing had me playing unicycle in the middle of a 270 degree off ramp.      Buddy's bike first and only time I rode one.

I've got a buddy had one of those triple two stroke 500. I wouldn't ride it. That thing was was just plain dangerous. That was back in the day when I had an flh. He always wanted to race my Harley. He would have kicked my @$$ with that little bike!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 12/03/15 at 06:40:36

Powerbands that go from acceleration normally to
I'm being pushed back so hard I don't know if I can stay on
are scary. Suzuki GS1100, the only big bike I ever rode, and only for about fifteen minutes, purt near got me hurt. Those Kawasaki things were just dangerous.
A Nice little bike I totaled was a Yamaha RD400, still had paper plates. My roommate was not pleased with me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 12/03/15 at 06:52:14

I've never had the misfortune to ride one of those H2s, for which I am grateful
The GS 1100 didn't really scare me, by the time I rode one
The GSXR 1000 didn't scare me, either, until I realized I had hit 160 and WASN'T scared
160 is dangerous
160 with a ho hum attitude is crazy
A bike that smooth at that kind of speed is just unnatural

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #22 - 12/03/15 at 11:20:32

I experienced that same thing this year on a KTM Superduke. Massive, stupid amounts of power and effortless acceleration to 160 and beyond. Thanks, but no thanks. It was kind of dull at legal speeds. Same with the Aprilllia rsv 1000 I owned for a short while. I can't  say I was especially terrified by the couple of H2's I've ridden. Powerful, but not stupid compared with modern bikes. Closest I came to trowelling a friend's bike was swapping places on my gs750 and a mate's Norton commando. Belting up to a roundabout I grabbed a bunch of front "brake" (one British drum compared with 2 Japanese discs ) then some  back brake when nothing happened. Unfortunately instead of the rear brake slowing me, I changed up a gear. By this time I was in the roundabout and surprised myself by going around it a lot faster than I thought I'd be capable of. Good times.
Only crash I've had on the road was being hit by a stooge who cut across lanes of traffic to get to the roadside because he saw his friend there. Offroading, going down was an everyday ocurrence.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #23 - 12/03/15 at 13:02:18

I've been lucky enough to avoid collisions with anything solid. My only accident was in a fairly low speed corner that snuck up on me. It was on an interstate frontage road at night. There was a sign for a 15mph right hand turn and then I went through a slight bend in the road. I went around that bend and hit the gas, failing to realize that I hadn't made it to the 15mph curve yet. I ended up going pretty much straight off of the road because there was a guard rail further through the corner for an electrical pole.

I had no injuries but the right hand clip-on snapped off and the bike slid into a wire fence. It was a Kawasaki ZZR1200 which is a pretty top heavy bike so I needed to call a friend to get some help picking the bike back up and getting it up the grass hill. As we were getting it back on the road another rider stopped and said that I could leave the bike at his house over night. He also commented that he personally knew of at least 4 other people that put their bike in the same ditch at different times so at least I wasn't the only one.  Smiley

Overall I'd say that I've been pretty lucky considering how stupid I was on my first bike. Luckily it was a Suzuki GS500 so high speeds weren't that high. The ZZR1200 was definitely a different beast that could reach ludicrous speeds at will. I only came close to the top speed once and that was enough...with that said, it was very comfortable doing 100mph all day. The speed never really scared me as much as the thought of getting arrested from just running the bike through a couple gears.

IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #24 - 12/05/15 at 12:42:38

I've never chipped a fingernail. Two 1mph tump overs in 11-12 years of riding. The first on my 650 Tempter from using front brake leaned a bit in a patch of gravel. Embarrassing... I dropped it right under the wing of a rented airplane I was about to fly. Not great for self-confidence.  

Second, recently, on my S40 doing a tight u-ey on a steep up grade in the dark. On that one I stupidly twisted the throttle picking it up and it shot forward 20ft or so and fell on its side. Bent brake lever, bent peg, busted mirror, busted tail light. I was thrown to the street and rolled by that maneuver. Not good for self-confidence.

Years ago on my GS1100G I entered a turn too hot, crossed the double yellow and would have died in a high speed head-on, but several cars ran off the road to avoid me and I rode on without a scratch. I displayed target fixation on that and stood up on the pegs... I would have gone over the car and not into the windshield. Not good for self-confidence.

I have avoided numerous cagers cutting me off or merging on me by combinations of braking and swerving, and succeeded because I was not speeding, was paying attention and was ready for it. Have avoided the same kinds of accidents while driving a car the same way.

I firmly believe most bike and car accidents are avoidable by not carrying excess speed for the road condition, visibility and traffic situation, by paying attention ahead and behind, and by letting instinct in to do whatever extreme control input is required. I know the instinct is cultivated by practicing maneuvering at the edge of the control envelope.

Yes, there are to-whom-it-may-concern fatal situations where nothing can be done. Whatever you are riding or driving. But they are very rare and unlucky. Except for those, MC accidents result from either bad rider behavior or from bad cager behavior that can't be gotten around because of also present bad rider behavior.

Excess speed kills. Carelessness kills. Leaving it up to someone else not to kill you, kills. Occasionally, bad luck kills. Skill and attentiveness eliminate most of the risks. Not all, but most. It's down to how you ride.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 12/05/15 at 13:43:32

BSTN said

He also commented that he personally knew of at least 4 other people that put their bike in the same ditch at different times so at least I wasn't the only one.  Smiley

Well, that helps a little, kinda, maybe, about as much as being in front of the firing squad, with 49 others, strapped to a pole. Cold comfort, knowing that you aren't going alone.

Dang, Sonny, I hope that was not a Cherokee 180, but more of a Cessna 150/172 kinda design.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #26 - 12/05/15 at 14:04:28

I had a near miss once that would have had me tangled in the rear duals of a semi trailer once in Chicago. Had I not jumped the side median and took the off ramp; I don't believe I'd be here. An old FLH is much more nimble than one would think in a bind.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #27 - 12/05/15 at 15:04:45

Justin: it was a C172.

BSTON: Yes. There are badly designed roads and poorly placed or confusing signs all over the place, that set up the same accident over and over and nobody does anything about it. There are missing signs that cause accidents and nobody does anything about it. Particularly bad scenes are circular tightening radius freeway exit ramps with no warning signs. And unmarked T-intersections. There are two of those in my neighborhood, and the yards in front of them collect cars on a regular basis.

Texas roads are pretty good about posting a suggested speed for upcoming corners, which are always conservative but they give you some guideline. But then there will be a 25mph curve on a 55mph road and no sign. Dang.

That GS1100 I had was a solid, enjoyable ride in the bottom 60% of the tach; in the top range it was a bad accident waiting to happen. Modern sport bikes are the same story. If you can't really use the throttle without breaking the law or breaking your neck, I don't think it's my idea of an ideal bike, ahem...   Lips Sealed

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 12/05/15 at 15:12:52

If you can't really use the throttle without breaking the law or breaking your neck, I don't think it's my idea of an ideal bike, ahem...

I have never been able to so succinctly state that.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #29 - 12/07/15 at 08:26:23

Sonny wrote on 12/05/15 at 15:04:45:
If you can't really use the throttle without breaking the law or breaking your neck, I don't think it's my idea of an ideal bike, ahem...   Lips Sealed

I feel a little differently on that. As long as you have some self control the additional power usually means easier cruising and less of a need to shift. I could keep the ZZR in 6th gear for pretty much anything over 30mph. It was also a good reminder for keeping myself in check when passing people. I knew that if I felt like I needed to downshift to pass someone then I was cutting it way too close.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:30:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Crashes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.