Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jardine slipon too loud (Read 193 times)
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jardine slipon too loud
11/29/15 at 14:56:47

Hello again everyone! I've been riding my recently purchased savage and love it. However, the previous owner installed a Jardine slip on muffler/exhaust and it is too loud for my taste and that of law enforcement on the installation.

I'm using the stock jets in the carb but have a set in the mail from LANCER because I'm getting quite a bit of afterfire. Nonetheless I want to change out the Jardine for something that is not as loud.

Any recommendations?

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Re: Jardine slipon too loud
Reply #1 - 11/29/15 at 15:22:17

I installed an EMCO Megaphone 80-84034 (from Amazon). Good tone, but not loud.  Easy install and reasonable price.... Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/29/15 at 19:20:52

And, there is the Dyna muffler... often removed from New Harleys, available for twenty bucks often.
You have options.. and the Jardine , you can sell, if it's fresh looking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/29/15 at 19:33:18

The jardine is pretty clean. I've been looking at the Dyna muffler gonna have to watch some videos of the sound again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 11/29/15 at 19:46:11

What if it doesn't make you happy? You try something different. You bought it, and someone else will. Pretty cheap experiment and it's not that ear splitting embarrassment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/30/15 at 03:12:41

Zonablazer wrote on 11/29/15 at 19:33:18:
The jardine is pretty clean. I've been looking at the Dyna muffler gonna have to watch some videos of the sound again.

You really can't tell anything from a sound clip.  The camera modifies the sound while recording, the computer and speakers modify it.....what you get out of the computer doesn't really replicate what it will sound like in real life.

The DYNA is a nice muffler, the Emgo that old.indian mentioned works well and it looks like what MMRanch uses on his bike.  The EMGO shorty that RYCA uses is waaaaaaaay too loud - but can be modified by adding plates on the baffle.  The Supertrapp is expensive and just a bit too loud for my taste (Can you taste with your ears?).

Most of the mufflers requires an angle adapter and 6 degrees it the best angle if you are having one made - RYCA sells and adapter that is 10 degrees and it works fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norcalscot
YaBB Newbies

Where there's a hill
there's a way

Northern California
Reply #6 - 11/30/15 at 08:45:55

When I bought my S40 earlier this year one of the previous owners had also installed a Jardine muffler - I found it obnoxiously loud. I tried a long reverse cone muffler from Ryca, but it broke after only a month of use.

I ended up buying one of the Harley muffler kits being offered by Super Thumper in the marketplace. It was easy to fit and sounds real nice - much quieter than the Jardine, but at the same time deeper than the stock S40 sound. I am more than happy with the change...  Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/30/15 at 10:28:19 by norcalscot »  

2009 Suzuki S40 : Raptor Petcock + Harley Soft Tail FLSTC FXCW muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/30/15 at 09:07:45

I DID the Supertrapp, and fourteen disks. It would roll past horses or through the hospital district under throttle to maintain speed, but, acceleration was a bit loud, and don't dare do a quick downshift, cuz it's gonna growl and grumble. The cost difference between a Dyna? Outrageous. The potential power difference? Minute. If I had it to do over, I'd go Dyna. And, they look good. And if you Don't dig it, you're out twenty bucks, at Worst.
I did have a stage one cam and had swapped out the main jet. The pilot got stubborn, I decided I could live with it.
They're fun, you can change stuff to suit ya, proper maintenance and over a hundred thousand miles isn't beyond expectation.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/30/15 at 11:44:41

I've heard the Dyna on the Savage in person, it's perfect
I cannot imagine any other muffler sounding as good and as right as the Dyna
I haven't done it myself only because I'm lazy

IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/30/15 at 14:43:11

I pulled the plug today and was able to score two dyna mufflers with baffles intact for cheap on fleabay. I'm excited to get one on when they arrive on Friday.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 11/30/15 at 16:33:52

old.indian wrote on 11/29/15 at 15:22:17:
I installed an EMCO Megaphone 80-84034 (from Amazon). Good tone, but not loud.  Easy install and reasonable price.... Cool

How does that sound compared to the Dyna? I like my Dyna but I'm just curious.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Sonny

DeSoto, TX

Reply #11 - 11/30/15 at 19:55:45

Loud pipes may save lives... under certain conditions, not all...

VERY LOUD pipes make you VERY DEAF before your time. And they make all motorcycling look bad by irritating and alarming motorists, who will eventually take out their low regard for motorcyclists on other riders. Same goes for any kind of rude aggressive riding around traffic.

And, maybe it's just me, but very loud pipes kinda label the rider as an obnoxious person even if they don't draw regular pull-overs and noise tickets from the po-leece.

The last thing is, if a loud pipe gets you to thinking everyone notices you now and you start to let go of the idea that you are invisible to cagers, and driving like it, that is going to lead to trouble.

I have a bad habit of watching moto-vlog youtubes, and watching folks go through intersections with left turners and past people pulling out of parking lots and doing it at 40, 45, 50mph without slowing down, and I cringe for them. CHP motor officers are trained to slow to 25 crossing any intersection that presents a chance of someone cutting them off. It is a nuisance, not ever trusting a cager not to kill you, but it greatly reduces the chance they will be able to kill you a few minutes before they tell a cop they never saw you.

And that goes for a stock muffler or a six inch straight tube coming out the exhaust port.

My Savages have stock mufflers but I have heard Dynas and they sound great and are not deafening. They are also lighter than the stock item.

'87 LS650, purt near stock, Raptor, seat mod. '07 S40, Raptor.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/30/15 at 23:05:55

Kris01 wrote on 11/30/15 at 16:33:52:

Same question here.  I've been looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Replica-Universal-Muffler-80-84061/dp/B000GVGJBW/r...  Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts about it?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 11/30/15 at 23:17:46

2 dyna muffs for $48. what's not to like? They fit perfect, sound great, and chrome appears heavy.  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/01/15 at 03:47:51

chzeckmate wrote on 11/30/15 at 23:05:55:
Kris01 wrote on 11/30/15 at 16:33:52:

Same question here.  I've been looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Replica-Universal-Muffler-80-84061/dp/B000GVGJBW/r...  Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts about it?

That BMW replica muffler looks really long!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine slipon too loud

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.