Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rear drum to disc conversion? (Read 251 times)
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Rear drum to disc conversion?
Reply #15 - 11/29/15 at 14:08:33

adjustment

IMG_0539.JPG

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #16 - 11/29/15 at 14:09:07

adjustment II

IMG_0541.JPG

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 11/29/15 at 14:09:49

pedal

IMG_0545.JPG

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/29/15 at 15:47:44

I don't see anything wrong yet.
how about a pic of the pedal fully depressed.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 11/29/15 at 18:08:31

Not to be a jerk, but why in the world are you even using the rear brake for routine stopping? Under braking, some 75 of the weight of the bike and rider is transferred to the front wheel. One of the reasons that the rear will lock up so easily is that there so is little weight to stop.

My suggestion, stop using the rear brake and learn to use the front brake. Other then to correct my line mid-turn, I can't remember the last time I used a rear brake.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/29/15 at 19:11:14

If the objective was to not be a jerk, I think you may have failed.

e most common setup is to have a lever on the right handgrip to engage the front brake and a pedal near the right foot peg to engage the rear brake. Standard motorcycle brakes are hydraulically actuated to clamp down on the brakes rotors. The front brakes supply about 70% of the motorcycle's stopping power (car brakes are similarly proportioned. One common misconception is that using too much front brake can flip the rider over the handlebars. Despite the greater braking capabilities of a motorcycle's front brakes it is very difficult to make a flip a bike based on braking alone. To stop a motorcycle in the shortest distance possible, it is important to use both front and rear brakes in unison. Danger can arise when misuse of the brakes locks a wheel and causes the tire to skid. When skidding, control over the motorcycle is compromised.

To avoid a tire skid, motorcycle brakes should be applied firmly but smoothly. Progressively applying the front brake allows the weight of the motorcycle to shift forward, giving that tire extra traction. It is important to avoid abrupt application of the rear brake because as the weight shifts forward, decreasing weight on the rear tire makes it easier to lock up. In the event of a skid, a rider only has a split second to react so knowing the proper procedure is key.

A motorcycle's front tire is mainly responsible for steering the motorcycle. If the motorcycle's front tire locks up during braking, there will not be traction to facilitate steering. If your motorcycle's front wheel locks up, you should immediately release the brake and then reapply less abruptly.

A motorcycle's rear tire is mainly responsible for powering the motorcycle. Despite the fact that bikes only have two wheels, they are pretty stable as long as it is under power. As long as the rear wheel is driving the motorcycle, its rotational force will keep it upright and the wheels in line with each other. If the rear wheel locks up during braking, it will naturally drift out of line with the front wheel. If you release the brake and allow the rear wheel to spin under the power of the engine again, it will try to snap it back in line with the front wheel. This can cause a motorcycle to high side and can throw the rider off. High side crashes can be one of the most dangerous situations a motorcycle rider can encounter. If your motorcycle's rear wheel locks up, keep pressure of the brake. It is better to allow the rear wheel to skid than to risk a high side crash.

In most braking situations, the rider should downshift as speed decreases to keep the road speed synched up with the engine speed. In emergency situations, keep the clutch squeezed in and focus on braking. Before coming to a stop, however, make sure to shift all the way down to first gear. Normally, it is a good idea to keep the motorcycle in gear with the clutch in at stoplights. With the bike in first gear, the rider has more control and can get the vehicle moving quickly if necessary.

The best way to make sure stopping on your motorcycle is as safe as possible is to maintain a safe following distance behind the vehicle in front of you. By keeping an adequate space cushion between you and other vehicles, you can avoid the need for sudden breaking altogether. In wet or slippery conditions, increase your following distance even more since traction available for braking is reduced.

For more information check out our Motorcycle Brakes Page

Why would anyone just accept a thirty percent decrease in stopping power knowing that idiots regularly turn left across the paths of motorcycles??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 11/30/15 at 03:30:39

The rear brake on the Savage is very effective as the others have experienced, and it is very easy to lock up when working properly.  It also has been proven that the shoes are almost never worn out by use.....they seem to last forever.

When you replaced your brake shoes - did you take the shaft out of the plate and clean and lube the shaft?  The shaft can get dry or corroded and that will make the brake less effective if the shaft is binding up.  There is an O-ring on the shaft that is supposed to keep water from entering the shaft....but over time the shaft does get dry and needs to be taken apart and cleaned up.

Same thing for the front brake pedal pivot point - it should be taken apart and cleaned and lubed.

The brake cable also should be lubed, and you can do that by leaving it on the bike and using a "cable luber", or by taking it off the bike and hanging it vertically and taping a zip lock baggy to the cable at the top end and then putting oil in the baggy so gravity will pull the oil down.

And my comment on the front/rear brake issue.....new riders and the average street rider should be using their front and rear brakes in unison.  They should get very proficient at it, and ready to gracefully and forcefully apply them when needed in an effort to avoid whatever just got into your riding path (car, deer, truck, pothole).  More advance riders, especially ones who do track events on their motorcycles often don't use their rear brakes much at all.  Under heavy braking the rear end is far too easy to lock up and a rear end skid is very hard to get under control.  The rear brake on my Cafe' conversion is far less sensitive than it was on the stock Savage, and I am fine with that as it does not tend to lock up unexpectedly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 11/30/15 at 14:22:35

After I cut grooves and eliminated about 1/3 of the contact surface, I could modulate ankle pressure and Feel the difference in braking.
Before that, the pressure difference between
I can tell the rear brake is slowing me down
And
The rear tire is sliding
was so tiny I couldn't safely use the brake.
Adjusting the pedal so low that my ankle just couldn't produce enough pressure at that angle didn't seem like an acceptable answer.
Cornering angles, time to go from normal riding position to flexing the ankle down against the boot fighting me, I just want the pedal to be up and brake engaging with minimal travel, and requiring enough pressure that I can feel it and increase or decrease and actually be in control of the brake. So, I took a bunch of the shoes out. Worked tons better. If I hadn't sold it, I would have taken more at the next tire change.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #23 - 11/30/15 at 16:29:05

You guys are saying NOT to use the rear brake? If you brake properly, you'll need both brakes to stop. I use the rear to help the front since it stops 70% of the weight. The rear shouldn't be used to stop much of the weight of the bike. Using only 1 brake when 2 are available is just wrong and dangerous.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 11/30/15 at 17:42:29

I didn't say that you shouldn't use the rear brake.....I do use mine for all the routine stops, and when braking hard in an emergency.  I also use my front brake in unison with the rear brake.

My comment on the rear brake is that the road racer friends have told me they hardly use any rear brake.  I am not sure why, as I have never done any paved track riding....my belief is that it can result in a sliding rear tire  (followed by a low or high side dismount).

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 11/30/15 at 18:19:45

Quote:
My comment on the rear brake is that the road racer friends I have told me they don't use use any rear brake.  I am not sure why, as I have never done any paved track riding....my belief is that it can result in a sliding rear tire  (followed by a low or high side dismount).

Road racers are almost never using their brakes to come to a complete stop like us street riders are when stopping quickly to avoid an obstacle like a left turning car etc. Road racers brake to slow the bike from relatively high speed to the proper entry speed for the next corner. The front brakes on road race bikes are so strong and the tires have so much grip that once the fronts are applied the rear tire is just barely or in some cases, not, touching the pavement. Under those circumstances applying  the rear brake is unnecessary and, as Dave said, potentially dangerous.

Coming to a complete stop, in a straight line, and in the shortest distance, generally requires that both brakes be applied just short of locking the wheels. But that is hardly ever necessary during a race.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 12/01/15 at 03:55:15

oldNslow:

Now that you mentioned the heavy front brake that the road racers are using....I remember several slow motion shots in the "Hitting the Apex" movie where it showed the back tire was just skipping off the pavement when they where doing heavy braking.  The back tire would just touch the ground for an instant and then bounce back up in the air and float about 1/2" off the pavement for a long time (in slow motion).

I know that having dual front discs is a fad on most street bikes.....but they really do need both those discs on the real Moto GP bikes!  Most of us will never need the kind of brakes that it takes to slow down from 150+ mph repeatedly for an hour or more.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 12/01/15 at 04:50:35

Kris01 wrote on 11/30/15 at 16:29:05:
You guys are saying NOT to use the rear brake? If you brake properly, you'll need both brakes to stop. I use the rear to help the front since it stops 70% of the weight. The rear shouldn't be used to stop much of the weight of the bike. Using only 1 brake when 2 are available is just wrong and dangerous.

I didn't say anything about not using rear.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 12/01/15 at 07:46:53

Almost ANY sport bike is capable of a 'stoppie' so in a true 'max braking' scenario, on a sport bike you might not use the rear brake, since the tire might not be on the ground
I quite often in regular riding use only the front brakes for normal stops, because even the Savage can outstop most production cars by a handy margin and I prefer not wearing a car on my rear tire
When I want full braking power however I have no issues with the rear brake
Also consider that if you downshift aggressively the engine itself can break the rear tire loose, so if you're using a lot of engine braking, say, slowing for a turn, adding MORE braking force to the rear tire might not be the brightest idea

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 12/01/15 at 17:00:24

Ok, maybe I misread a few posts. I was starting to wonder about you guys!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear drum to disc conversion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.