Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whats this mean......??? (Read 73 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Whats this mean......???
11/28/15 at 07:14:04

Britain Begins to Rearm

London notices that security threats are rising in Europe.

The British Royal Navy HMS Ocean in the Mediterranean on October 29.

Europeans will remember 2015 as the year in which national security became an everyday concern, from Russia’s encroachments on NATO’s periphery to the jihadist threat to their urban centers. So kudos to David Cameron’s government for reversing years of cuts to Britain’s military spending with a strategic review that starts to take account of the world as it is.

“We must expect the unexpected,” the Prime Minister warned Parliament on Monday. Britain, he added, “can make sure that we have the versatility and the means to respond to new risks and threats to our security.”

To that end, the government plans to spend £2 billion ($3 billion) on additional weapons for its special forces, hire 1,900 new foreign and domestic intelligence personnel, buy 20 long-range Reaper drones, restore Britain’s maritime patrol capabilities with nine P8 Poseidon aircraft (useful for hunting Russian submarines), and add new squadrons of land-based Typhoon and sea-based F-35 jets. The government will also set aside £41 billion to build Britain’s next generation of nuclear missile submarines.

As important, Mr. Cameron seems belatedly to recognize the need for Britain to maintain robust expeditionary forces. The number of deployable troops will increase to 50,000 from 30,000, including two new strike brigades of 5,000 troops each, capable of moving on short notice. “Not one of these capabilities is an optional extra,” he noted. “These investments are an act of clear-eyed self-interest.”

The Prime Minister is surely right, though even this new spending is not sufficient given the degraded state of Britain’s military. The U.K. spent 5.4% of GDP on defense in 1982, when it was barely able to muster the forces needed to retake the Falkland Islands from Argentina. Defense spending now hovers at 2.2%—large by European standards but barely meeting the NATO minimum of 2%.

Another concern is that many of the new capabilities won’t be operational for several years, while the security threats are increasing now. Mr. Cameron wants to increase Britain’s involvement in attacking Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria, but Britain’s involvement is partly limited by not having an aircraft carrier capable of deploying fixed-wing aircraft. The U.K. is building two large carriers to replace the small jump-jet carriers it retired over the last decade, but the new ships aren’t scheduled to come into service until the 2020s. Maybe they’ll be put to use against whatever comes after Islamic State.

All of this is a reminder of the danger of shortchanging the military in a belief that the world will stay peaceful without a robust deterrent. That’s one of President Obama’s signature illusions, with his predictions of a receding tide of war. U.S. defense spending is also too low in an era of multiplying threats. Still, Mr. Cameron has made a useful start, and his NATO allies should follow his lead.

Gee, you mean we is to ride warships to Nirvana, say it ain't so.....
The man Obama got a Nobel Peace Pride ya know, so I am sure he knows what he is doing, like his healthcare, and extending his parties political reach with election victories  Huh

Maybe we just need to teach these warmongers around the world to read, that way they can see they don't need to fight cuz we all worship the same god Obama  Grin

Anybody who can say with a straight face Obama is a successful president ought to get to Las Vegas and play poker......
You would make a killing at the tables.

PS: Double down on GW mister P, those believers will willingly strap themselves to an SUV with a bomb, their faith in you is that great.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Re: Whats this mean......???
Reply #1 - 11/28/15 at 08:19:34

You come to my house and I'm gonna take up arms too.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 11/29/15 at 08:54:43

What's that mean? I assume the first word is Roman.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 11/29/15 at 08:59:01

Kris01 wrote on 11/29/15 at 08:54:43:
What's that mean? I assume the first word is Roman.

Ah..... so I can expect a bunch of Romans yelling, "HECK CAESAR" as they visit carnage on the unsuspecting then?  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/29/15 at 09:05:11

Greek... The literal translation is "having come, take".

Sounds like something a hooker would say... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/29/15 at 10:03:00

How do you guys know things like this?  Shocked

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 11/29/15 at 10:43:20

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #7 - 11/29/15 at 10:44:34

Serowbot wrote on 11/29/15 at 09:05:11:
Greek... The literal translation is "having come, take".

Sounds like something a hooker would say... Grin...

OMG, that's what she said !!!  Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 11/29/15 at 11:46:52

why keep bashing the aca?
it helped my wife none would insure her for a pre-existing condition
now we have affordable health care for her  the va takes care of me

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 11/29/15 at 15:06:24

thumperclone wrote on 11/29/15 at 11:46:52:
why keep bashing the aca?

I'm happy you and your wife have had a good experience with the ACA.   However to answer your question, I know lots of people who have had their insurance go up 100% - 300%.  I'm not exaggerating either.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 11/29/15 at 17:54:30

yup thumper, we had a local news segment on that very issue a couple months back. INSANE rate hikes

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 11/30/15 at 16:43:56

DesertRat wrote on 11/29/15 at 10:43:20:

I was going to look it up but didn't know what to search for!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 13:08:27

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Whats this mean......???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.