Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
16 rounds.... (Read 115 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: 16 rounds....
Reply #15 - 11/25/15 at 15:14:14

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong; although, wasn't there a time when LEOs were taught to wound as opposed to kill?  Did the SOP change?  If someone may be perceived as a threat just shoot them...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 11/25/15 at 15:28:46

pg wrote on 11/25/15 at 15:14:14:
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong; although, wasn't there a time when LEOs were taught to wound as opposed to kill?  Did the SOP change?  If someone may be perceived as a threat just shoot them...

Best regards,  

I"m pretty sure you are mistaken.

I do know that LEO's today are trained to shoot until the threat is neutralized. They are not trained to kill. Once the subject is no longer a threat - if he gives up, falls down, turns around and tries to run away, whatever, then they are no longer legally authorized to continue shooting.  

Even though shooting someone may very well kill someone,that isn't always the case and "shooting" and "killing" are not at all the same thing.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 11/25/15 at 16:16:28

A very interesting tidbit about the shooting.....

If these accusations are true, I think this is EXACTLY what the BLM people mean......

The mayor of Chicago talked a lot about accountability just before he released the police video showing Laquan McDonald gunned down by a cop.
But what of the mayor's accountability? He sat on the video for months. If voters had seen it, he wouldn't have been re-elected. So it all worked out for him.

And where is the accountability of African-American politicos and others like the Rev. Jesse Jackson, so loud now, pointing their fingers and organizing meetings and demanding accountability from others?

When it mattered, they were silent. They didn't demand that the video be released. Why?

Because this is Chicago and that's how it works.

"Jason Van d**e's going to court," Emanuel said Tuesday of the officer charged earlier in the day with murder in the first degree.

"There will be a judgment and he'll be held accountable for his actions," the mayor said, in a thin voice that had a whiff of desperation in it. "There's also a judgment for all of us. At one level it's about him individually, but we as a city must also do certain things."

Like tell the truth?

Warning, graphic content: Laquan McDonald shooting dash-cam video: short version
Warning graphic content: Chicago officials released the police dash-cam video of the October 2014 fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald, 17, by a Chicago police officer. Warning: This video contains graphic images. The Chicago Tribune edited this version only for length.
I watched the video, as many of you did. Until it was released to the public, the mayor insisted he hadn't seen it, even though he called it "hideous" the other day.

The important parts last only a few seconds. It is one of the worst things I've seen, like those old "Faces of Death" videos that were viral before viral was a word, tapes of people dying, something creepy that high school kids once watched in their basements alone.

Now, of course, that kind of thing is fed to you for breakfast on the news.

There is no drama to McDonald's last seconds, no sound, not even the smack of bullets, only the thing itself: a white cop shooting a young black man to death on the streets of Chicago.

According to Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez, it took only 15 seconds.

Van d**e shoots him on the ground, repeatedly. You see the puffs of pavement fly up as the bullets go through McDonald's body and hit the ground. You see his arms twitch. A cop walks over and kicks a knife out of McDonald's hand, and the teen lies there, bleeding out, without anyone coming up to offer aid.

Chicago releases dash-cam video of fatal shooting after cop charged with murder
Chicago releases dash-cam video of fatal shooting after cop charged with murder
There may be efforts to make Laquan McDonald, 17 and with PCP in his system, into some kind of icon as the protesters begin to make noise. It's part of the script that has been used before. I won't do that.

But I will tell you this. He was a troubled young man who didn't deserve what happened to him. And he didn't deserve what the cop took from him, which was everything.

If you see the video, and if you're honest with yourself, this isn't self-defense.

Alvarez called it murder. That's what it looks like to me.

McDonald didn't lunge at police with a knife. He was trying to get away, as an eyewitness to the killing confirmed for me in a recent column.

And Van d**e emptied his 9 mm into him when he was on the ground. Then Van d**e slapped another magazine in there, prosecutors said, and was ready to keep firing.

Horrific? Yes. Perhaps the mayor should finally see it.

But while we're waiting, that business of the mayor telling others that they are accountable is interesting.

Who holds Rahm Emanuel accountable?

He's the mayor. He's the man. He can throw others under the bus. That thought had to be going through police Superintendent Garry McCarthy's mind as he stood there, at police headquarters Tuesday afternoon, listening to the mayor talk about accountability.

McDonald was shot to death by Van d**e on Oct. 20, 2014. And Emanuel rushed to settle the case even before a lawsuit was filed. City Hall shelled out $5 million of taxpayer money.

And then the Emanuel administration wasted a boatload of cash on legal fees and other legal work, trying for months and months to keep Chicago from seeing that video the mayor said he'd never seen.

Rahm sat on the video, and kept sitting on it, all the way through his re-election, as black ministers and other African-American political figures rallied to his side to get out the black vote and deny that vote to Jesus "Chuy" Garcia.

If the video had come out during the election campaign, Rahm Emanuel would not be mayor today.

Rahm didn't demand that the video be shown, and neither did the Chicago City Council's Black Caucus. They voted for the $5 million settlement.

But if they'd demanded that the video be shown — before the election — Rahm would have cut them off at their knees.

I didn't hear Kim Foxx — Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle's candidate for state's attorney — demand that the video be made public either.

I didn't hear Preckwinkle and Foxx hold a news conference, with all their supporters around them back when the case was settled in April, speaking in loud, angry tones about accountability and City Hall and that video.

And I didn't hear Jackson — now trying to use this police shooting to re-legitimize himself and help Foxx — demand that the video be released.

Or other black leaders, who like most of the rest are covering their behinds, pointing fingers at others, lest the people of Chicago be reminded that many of them had Rahm's back, or at least never made a peep out loud about that video.

The art of politics in Chicago is demanding accountability for others, but never for yourself.

jskass@tribpub.com

Twitter @John_Kass

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #18 - 11/25/15 at 16:20:00

pg wrote on 11/25/15 at 15:14:14:

Best regards,  

The Abq. PD were authorized to fire if they felt threatened and the "threat" was within 20 feet.... I know of at least five (unarmed) "threats" who killed because they were "advancing in a threating manner".  FYI: More than one Abq. PD officer has been involved  in multiple shooting incidents. One APD officer I know of has been involved in four (4) shooting incidents.  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Shocked

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 11/25/15 at 19:25:04

I love some of the comments on YouTube:

Excessive force at best! Laquan McDonald: extensive criminal record, caught in the commission of a crime armed with a knife, slashed patrol car tires and windshield, headed toward a crowd of people still armed with the knife despite many orders to drop the weapon...who knows what he might have done to members of that crowd? $16 million to the family of a perp who was a ward of the state? SMH

If that kid is breaking into cars, evading police officers with a weapon in his hand and refusing to submit to an arrest... he is asking for trouble.

No the cop should be let go. If a cop says stop f---ing stop period glad he is dead one less f---ing idiot on the street next!

somepeople are glad a knife wielding crazy guy who does PCP isn't on their street s no more. this was overkill but really its the kids fault choices have consequences and how much longer till another black guy killed this dude in Chicago? lmao look at Chicago crime rates.

A little excessive on the cop's part but if you're a criminal and get caught AND tease the police... Actions have consequences!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 11/25/15 at 19:56:25

Until the lawsuits and payouts to families/victims of police misconduct start HURTING the cops, the money coming from the pension funds, or, make them carry malpractice insurance, and the insurance company Would have each of them in a sit down, face to face, psych evaluation,, every year or maybe more often. , until SOMETHING changes, why would anyone expect to see change?
At least he's not on paid Administrative Leave.. I've watched cops literally get away with murder since I was a kid, and, Finally I'm starting to see at least occasionally one be held accountable. But, it's not okay, yet. We got a lot of changes to make in America.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
08/31/24 at 05:26:09

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › 16 rounds....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.