Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Buyers Market? (Read 155 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Motorcycle Buyers Market?
11/24/15 at 09:53:47

Just for fun....I looked at the Craigslist for the Cincinnati area.

Think it might be easy to sell a motorcycle?  There are currently for sale:

855 Harley's
735 Honda's
466 Yamaha's
416 Suzuki's
356 Kawasaki's
45 BMW's
12 Buell's
3 Moto Guzzi's

It looks like you have a lot of competition if you are selling!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Motorcycle Buyers Market?
Reply #1 - 11/24/15 at 16:55:10

But how many of the treasured LS650's/S40's?!?!?  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 11/24/15 at 17:13:39

See what happens Dave when you venture into TT  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 11/24/15 at 18:38:42

Dave wrote:

"Just for fun....I looked at the Craigslist for the Cincinnati area.

Think it might be easy to sell a motorcycle..."

I've wondered about that. I browse the Craigslist ads here in Western NY and I've noticed that there are a lot of very nice, late model, low mileage and (I think) fairly priced bikes that  keep floating up to the top of the listings for months and months. Lots of the sellers indicate that they are willing to negotiate the price. Sometimes I see a note on an ad for a bike that I've seen two or three times before, announcing that the price has been dropped; sometimes by a considerable amount.

I also check the used inventories on several local dealers' websites and see bikes that have  
been on their floors for over a year. Of course being dealers, the listed prices are higher than what I typically see on Craigslist for comparable bikes.

All of those dealers also have 2010, 2011, 2012.2013,and 2014 new bikes in their inventorys.  And I don't think those leftover bikes are necessarily poor selling models, although some might be.

I have a young nephew who impulsively bought a Harley Super Glide (I think it was a 2009 or 10) the summer before last, rode it for a few months and lost interest. This was a bike that looked almost brand new and had less than ten thousand miles on it. It took him six or seven month to find a buyer for what I would have thought was a pretty desirable motorcycle.

So; is this typical other places, or is it just a local phenomenon? Is it just motorcycles, or is it just another symptom of a generally crappy economy overall ?

I've got no plans right now to buy a different bike, but I've thought about whether, if I were to do that at some point, if I would even bother to try to sell my 06 S40.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/25/15 at 04:43:12

Kris01 wrote on 11/24/15 at 16:55:10:
But how many of the treasured LS650's/S40's?!?!?  Grin

If you look up both LS650 and S40......There are 18 for sale.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/25/15 at 04:44:26

raydawg wrote on 11/24/15 at 17:13:39:

I learned my lesson, I won't go back.....but I will pray for them.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/25/15 at 18:24:43

I never venture into the Table without a suture kit and basic first aid stuff on hand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/25/15 at 18:56:17

I've only been in the TT twice, both times just to use the trap door to proceed down to the River Styx to go swimming for a month.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 11/25/15 at 20:56:11

Dave wrote on 11/25/15 at 04:44:26:
raydawg wrote on 11/24/15 at 17:13:39:

I learned my lesson, I won't go back.....but I will pray for them.

It wasn't that bad, and everyone was very pleasant if not complimentary to you.   Grin

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 11/25/15 at 23:03:52

What is TT?  I'd be a buyer for some of these low-priced bikes, but hauling them over the border is a major pain, then I have to pay sales tax on the can$ conversion. I should quit bitchin'n this season!!!! Cool

ps: Ducati scrambler is now 400cc!  Suz S40 still on for '16!!!!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 11/25/15 at 23:50:45

For some Americans and Canadians, there is only an eight to nine month riding season, therefore some people may only wish to ride in the better weather.
Many people take up motorcycling because they think they, or motorcycling are "cool" one of the most pustulent, degenerate, syphilitic little four letter words in the English language. They then find out that in reality motorcycling is a lonely business, which is one of the reasons I do it.
Some will go riding and get wet, cold, and quite possibly scared by the behaviour of car drivers. No matter how careful or defensive you are, car drivers, and some other motorcyclists are still like "the hun in the sun". So after a season, or in the case of a man I knew forty five years ago, one ride. They sell up, or attempt to sell up and retire.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/26/15 at 03:16:53

The Cincinnati area has a really large Craigslist Market.  If you are willing to drive 1-2 hour to find the perfect bike, then Dayton, OH - Louisville, KY - Lexington, KY are also markets.  If you are willing to drive 2-3 hours then Columbus, OH - and Indianapolis, IN are also markets.

And don't forget to try typing in alternate searches, as sometimes the folks aren't good at picking a heading that works in the search.  The bikes disappear off the front page in a matter of hours - so you have to find the bike of your dreams by typing in the search.  For the Savage you need to go into the Motorcycle section and try:  LS650, S40, Savage, Suzuki 650.

If you are looking for a particular bike model, you can find a really good buy if you are patient and have the cash to go buy when you find the bargain.  An even better buy often comes along if you can buy the bikes that just got abandoned in the garage and need the fuel system cleaned.....a lot of bikes just get put away with fuel in them and the owners don't want to pay to get the new battery and the fuel tank/carb cleaned.  (On the Savage....I learned that even on a low 3,800 mile bike it may need a cam and rocker repair from using the owner using the wrong oil).

Bikes like this $ 800 one could be a very good buy......there are several listed for $ 1,000 more that don't look this nice.  I would certainly jump start the thing and ride it to make sure it runs and rides OK.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5272625584.html

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #12 - 11/26/15 at 11:28:50

I'll second what Dave said about alternative searches.
This was on ebay uk with just the heading 'motorcycle', didn't even mention the words 'suzuki' or 'savage' etc.
Real beauty as well  Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 11/26/15 at 15:48:00

jcstokes wrote on 11/25/15 at 23:50:45:
Many people take up motorcycling because they think they, or motorcycling are "cool" [...] They then find out that in reality motorcycling is a lonely business, which is one of the reasons I do it.

Am I not cool for riding?  Huh Grin

I always ride solo. I like the "me" time to reflect on life and think deep thoughts. Besides, the views are beautiful! You can drive the same roads day after day in a car and be bored very quickly. It ain't so on 2 wheels!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 11/26/15 at 20:16:26

HP
I like the rear tire on that bike in the picture.   Do you know what kind it is ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 20:16:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Motorcycle Buyers Market?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.