Send Topic Print
Just to be clear (Read 103 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Just to be clear
11/23/15 at 13:09:18

I'm familiar with standard transmissions and toe play and wear of the clutch disk causing toe play to go awAy. And, I've seen inside the clutch cover and understand that the throw out has limited travel before it hits the stop. SO, as the clutch wears it needs shorter rods in order to allow the clutch pack to fully close on itself? Have I FINALLY got it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Just to be clear
Reply #1 - 11/23/15 at 13:29:01

As the clutch wears and the plates get thinner....it is common to have to adjust the cable and maintain a bit of slack.

The problem in the Savage is that the little block that pushes the clutch has very little adjustment range, and you can run out of adjustment long before you run out of clutch plate friction material.  So what happens is you end up adjusting the cable slack - but at some point the plates just don't get full spring tension as the rod is holding the spring pressure off the plates a bit....and you need to take the rod out and shorten it a bit - or buy one of the Suzuki replacements that is made shorter (they come in two shorter lengths).

The way to check if the rod needs to be shortened is to look at the chrome lever down on the right side of the engine.  As the clutch wears the lever will move farther down, and when the lever is at the lower tick mark....it is time to shorten the rod. (The lever position is checked when the clutch is at "rest" like you are riding....not with the clutched lever pulled to the hand grip). 

This one is within specs, and after several cable adjustments the lever will be down at the lower mark......and it is time for a shorter rod.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 11/23/15 at 15:11:09

So, is the eyeball gauge looking at the lower aspect of the chrome clutch arm or the top?  Or is that hoping for too much precision?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/23/15 at 15:12:24

And the trumpets blare!!!

I finally get it!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #4 - 11/23/15 at 18:54:17

The rubber band is missing on mine.... is that OEM or aftermarket ??

Smiley   Smiley   Smiley

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/23/15 at 19:41:14

Ha! I didn't catch that!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 11/23/15 at 20:11:50

You got it, JOG!  Smiley

I noticed that the rubber band is missing on mine too.  Is that going to cause any big problems I should be worried about?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/24/15 at 03:08:05

For an "upgrade"....you can use a rubber band that matches the color or your tank and fenders! Wink

Oldfeller put the rubber band on to take out the slack when he took the picture.....otherwise the lever would just fall to the lowest position.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 22:45:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just to be clear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.