Send Topic Print
Stripped screw on carb (Read 159 times)
Canadian_kiwi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stripped screw on carb
11/23/15 at 01:33:48

i have stripped my air mix screw... I have a new one already, but do I need to drain my tank before I drill out the screw or can I drill it out and not have gas everywhere?

Thanks in advance  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Stripped screw on carb
Reply #1 - 11/23/15 at 03:41:19

No fuel will flow out.....the fuel level in the float bowl is down near the height of the gasket where the float bowl meets the carb body.

If you are drilling and using an screw extractor.....I can't imagine trying to do that job on the bike.  It is tough enough to do it when the carb is up on the work bench.  If you find the new screw is really tight.....the threads in the carb body are corroded.  I have a tap you can use is you pay shipping both ways...and a small deposit so that I can be sure I get it back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/23/15 at 11:25:22

If you can get a reverse drill bit,... or extractor... go very slow into the soft brass, and it will likely catch, and unscrew the jet without having to go too deep...

Put some penetrating oil in there... best if you can work pointing down...

I'd pull the carb...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/23/15 at 15:17:36

No way would I attempt drilling in something awkward to get and maintain square to.
50/50 acetone and transmission fluid, great penetrating oil.
Online comparison of all.
WD 40 sux.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sw1991
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/23/15 at 19:27:59

Pull the carb, go to home depot and buy a stripped bolt/screw removal kit.  Typically you drill it to the right size, then flip the bit around, set the drill to reverse and it bites into the metal... the brass is likely really soft althought I dont have any experience working with it too much... Just go slow and it should grab and come out. I just did this yesterday with another screw on my bike that I'd almost lost all hope for. You'll need a replacement screw obviously as the old one will be junk. The brass may be soft enough where you dont even have to drill it... just push the bit into the brass a little bit and back er out

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #5 - 11/25/15 at 08:40:36

OK that carb body is hard to find and very $ new so i would take it off strip it down  and find a good machine shop/friend  who will set it up in a drill press and reverse drill and rev tap to remove broken part . you will only get ONE chance at this ,use it wisely  eta have the new part with you so the driller will know the architecture of area and provide a better result

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/25/15 at 10:34:54

Dave has it right.  To strip that screw there must be some serious corrosion there.  You can try using an extractor bit to get it out but I'd be concerned about those corroded threads.  Tapping it is best in this situation...unless you stripped it by overtightening.  In that case the extractor should do fine.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/25/15 at 10:41:59

chxeckmate:

I almost found out the hard way.  I bought a theft recovery bike a while back, and it had a carb with a stubborn idle mixture screw....and somebody had boogered it up and the screw slot was damaged too much to allow a screwdriver bit to remove it.  I drilled it and used an extractor to remove the old screw.

When I went to put the new one in....it was incredibly tight.  I tried lubing it up, and it still was too tight and I almost ruined the brand new mixture screw.  I bought a tap and ran it in/out of the whole...and the new screw now works as it should.  The aluminum threads were a bit corroded and needed to be cleaned up. The threads are a 6mm x 0.50, which is a very fine pitch.

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #8 - 11/25/15 at 10:44:38

guys you must go back to orig post it is the mixture screw          eta typing while dave was also

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/25/15 at 11:12:46

Canadian_kiwi stated it is an "air mixture screw"....I believe we all know that on this carb it is a Fuel Mixture screw and adjusts the amount of fuel flow. (Some carbs do have air screws, and they are located on the air filter side of the carb body).

And I believe everyone understood it is the soft brass screw he is trying to remove.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 11/25/15 at 13:04:35

Maybe it's worth heating the carb body around the screw with a heat gun to help loosen the screw's grip as well?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/25/15 at 17:30:41

gizzo wrote on 11/25/15 at 13:04:35:
Maybe it's worth heating the carb body around the screw with a heat gun to help loosen the screw's grip as well?

The melting point of aluminum and brass are pretty close.  That trick definitely works with aluminum and steel where the melting points are so far apart, but I'm not sure about aluminum and brass.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 11/25/15 at 17:33:50

You just want to get it hot. Don't even try to get it hot enough to melt.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/25/15 at 17:54:12

What penetrating oil are you dosing it with?
Time, with it sitting so it's holding the penetrating oil, and let it sit.
Before heat ,strip it down, and heat and a quench, heat and quench, can cause the corrosion to get broken down. Doesn't work every time.
The carb is tilted. Any time water gets in , and sits, see how it is..

Anything you can do Safely,to make it easier for a machinist, will save you money. I cleaned up and removed the snap ring from an Explorer rear hub. First, the nearest nice mechanic. Blew the seals on his press. He fixed it, tried again, decided no to, sent me to a machine shop. Twenty bucks,, pressed out, New bearing in, snap ring, ready to go.
Attitude is everything.

Calling, asking, versus walking in with it, I usually just walk in, and I get treated great.
And one chance really is all you get, and IF you start and decide you'd rather pay someone, but you've got an off center, angled hole started,the machinist is in worse shape and you'll spend more.
At minimum, if I didn't have a drill press, I wouldn't try it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/25/15 at 23:59:59

Kris01 wrote on 11/25/15 at 17:33:50:
You just want to get it hot. Don't even try to get it hot enough to melt.

LOL  Grin

I didn't mean to melt anything.  I just meant that since the metals expand at approximately the same rate, the trick that works so well with aluminum and steel might not be so successful with aluminum and brass.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:26:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped screw on carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.