MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Saturday at the Range
Reply #15 - 11/28/15 at 19:52:48

OldFeller

What if I was to "Tumble" my bullets in a light mixer of this stuff not so much to get more Velocity --- but rather as a means to make my barrel last longer.   A 200lb deer around here is a big deer !  Wink

Thing is I've got at least 500 rounds of (Soft point core lock and Varmageddon 3150fps.) with the same powder and amount in both.
Do you suppose there is a way to coat the bullets sticking out of the case ?

I've got more .243's loaded than I'll ever shoot (100 Gr.SP/3000fps and 70Gr.TNT 3200fps) at 200 yds. = same point of impact.

Yea if you think it would , thin coat them , We'll split some of that stuff !      I'll try some of in on a few and if accuracy stays as good or better , then I'll do more.   I'm popping 2L jugs at that bottom Iron Target (270 yards) on a regular bases now , and like it !  Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/28/15 at 21:00:16 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 11/28/15 at 20:08:23

Use alcohol to make up a thin white syrup, then dip the part of the bullet that protrudes on your existing rounds.  It is not totally covered, but the coated part leads the uncovered portion into the barrel and it will establish the rubbed in place barrel condition after a bit.

As good as impact coating the entire bullet?   No.  It is a wash coating, and it is not beaten into the metal.  The part in the neck is still raw un-lubed copper jacket.

Would it help cold shots and barrel life?  Yes, to a degree.

Would it slow down the pre-built existing rounds some.  Yes.

I just put together another 30 round exploratory series, containing 150 grain and 160 grain slugs fully impact coated and at 48 grains, 49 grains and 50 grains of R19.

Also rebuilt my chrony to replace the damaged arm that got shot off at your house (by me of course) so I can put the glare shields back on so I can get a higher rate of read off the thing again.   The "hit or miss" rate on the fps readings I was getting was excessive, with more errors than good reads, so I think I needed my glare shields back in place again.

« Last Edit: 11/29/15 at 05:04:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 11/28/15 at 21:11:53

I've got one of those Chrony things now.   Was surprised at the difference in "Book Velocity" vs "Real Velocity".   but
I found which powders have the smaller deviation (<30fps).   in the 223 its Varget / 55gr bullet (other bullets my be different).

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 11/29/15 at 04:59:55

Fixing the Chrony was required, as it would be my luck to be all excited over "progress" that is simply a sick crony kidding me along.

Got ammo builds that I have chrony data on to use as a back check, they were ones we did at your house BTW.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:38:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Saturday at the Range

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.