Send Topic Print
New Tire Choices (Read 3428 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: New Tire Choices
Reply #120 - 05/27/20 at 12:11:52

Just adding my $0.02 on the Michelin Commander II's.  I put 'em on May 2015 (140/90 on the rear) they currently have about 14,400 miles 5 years later with good tread (bike has 21,800 miles).  
I went with these knowing I'd be putting some commuting miles on but will most likely go to a 130/90 'cuz that fat rear tire is big and heavy.  
She's got a booty on her, for sure!   ( | )

Pic below shows tread after about 14.5K miles.  Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: 06/04/20 at 10:03:17 by Tocsik »  

front_rear_MichComII_14K.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
FlyingH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #121 - 07/20/20 at 11:14:19

I just put on a Michelin Commander III. $180 at a local bike shop, after I brought them the wheel, they balanced it and put is on for free. New inner tube $16.25. Like it so far, my original stock tire was only good for 5,500 miles.
On my bicycle I only use Michelin tires, less flats and last much longer than any other tire I had.
Ps: Have about 100,000 miles on my bicycle. Now you now I am old!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #122 - 05/06/23 at 15:45:19

Has anyone tried this tire?

Continental Tour - 130/90-15

I'm looking to find a high-mileage tire in the above size. doesn't look like a lot of options out there in this size.
I know this thread is a couple years old but hey, maybe it needs brought back up to the top of the heap.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #123 - 05/06/23 at 16:42:41

The stock IRCs lasted 17 years on a 2006 I bought last year.   I recently replaced with Dunlop D404s in January.  The Dunlops are very nice for the price. I have no idea on mileage and longevity.  You thinking about taking a 20,000 mile road trip?  Not familiar with the Continental for bikes, but they were way overpriced for my truck. Never really liked the ones on another truck either. Wet traction was poor and they were done after about 50k on a 70k warranty.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #124 - 05/06/23 at 18:13:34

The stock IRC has only 4500 miles on it & its looking pretty sad.
I am going on a loaded tour this summer. Won't be 20,000 miles but a few thousand anyway.
Besided, I do my own tire work. At 66 I don't care to change a tire any more often than I have to.
I've run Kenda's on a Savage before & they were ok. Just want to get a better quality tire this go around.

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/06/23 at 16:42:41:
The stock IRCs lasted 17 years on a 2006 I bought last year.   I recently replaced with Dunlop D404s in January.  The Dunlops are very nice for the price. I have no idea on mileage and longevity.  You thinking about taking a 20,000 mile road trip?  Not familiar with the Continental for bikes, but they were way overpriced for my truck. Never really liked the ones on another truck either. Wet traction was poor and they were done after about 50k on a 70k warranty.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #125 - 05/06/23 at 19:03:18

I installed Commander 3 last year, they are absolutely awesome, ride smooth as butter and provide confidence inspiring grip.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #126 - 05/07/23 at 05:16:49

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=post;num=1448021014;quote=124;...

I hear you on not liking to change tires.  I’m pretty close to your age and I’ve never heard anyone liking to do them.  I’ll still do them on smaller dirt bikes that replacement more often or tube replacement and where I don’t have to worry about balancing.

Back to the Continentals….they wouldn’t be my first choice based on my experiences with them on my trucks.  Enjoy your road trip!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #127 - 05/07/23 at 11:13:00

I'm considering passing on the Conti tire, unless someone chimes in with good reviews. I'll have to see who else weighs in here.

Who makes the commander III? Ok, I looked back a bit. Looks like Mich. tire. They should be decent.

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/07/23 at 05:16:49:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?action=post;num=1448021014;quote=124;...

I hear you on not liking to change tires.  I’m pretty close to your age and I’ve never heard anyone liking to do them.  I’ll still do them on smaller dirt bikes that replacement more often or tube replacement and where I don’t have to worry about balancing.

Back to the Continentals….they wouldn’t be my first choice based on my experiences with them on my trucks.  Enjoy your road trip!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #128 - 05/07/23 at 11:38:20

The Michelin Commander IIIs claim high mileage and good all around traction.  They are also a bit on the expensive side, but if one set of Commander IIIs live twice as long as some other tires, that might be your choice.  I had the Michelin Commander II on another bike and they were fine (I liked them.).  I went with the Dunlop this go-round to save a few bucks - I don't do long rides or rack up a lot of miles per year.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #129 - 05/08/23 at 04:02:11

If you are talking about the Continental ContiTour......then you can read reviews from users from online sellers like Revzilla:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/continental-contitour-tires?sku_id=1205581

I don't have any experience with the ContiTour tires - but Continental is a good tire company and they make good tires.  I am currently running the Continental RoadAttack 3 tires on my other bikes....it is a Sport Touring tire and I get about 8-9,000 miles from them (I do a lot of riding with my wife on the back and that likely reduces mileage).  I would not be worried about trying a set of Continental tires....they are a reputable company and have been making tires for a long time.

The Michelin Commander tires are definitely the longest lasting tire you can put on a motorcycle - they do give up some wet weather traction in their quest for high mileage.  MMRanch and Stewmills were on Michelins and I was on Pirelli Sport Demons on a ride and we got to some wet roads.....I had plenty of traction going up a steep mountain road - while they were spinning their rear tires trying to keep up (I was up front and I had no idea they were struggling).  Getting 20,000 miles from a motorcycle tire is pretty amazing - but you will have to slow down a bit when the roads are wet.....the Sport Demons are a soft compound tire and only last about 6,000 miles.   Michelin tires are noted for being a very long lasting tire (even on cars) - but the hard rubber compounds age quickly and wet weather traction gets worse after 3 or 4 years and if you haven't worn off the tread....you will likely be replacing them as you will begin to slip and slide on wet roads.

When it comes to tires for the Savage - I believe you have a few choices and options:

If you ride less than 2,000 mile a year - get the affordable Shinko tires.
If you ride a lot - spend more money and get a better tire that lasts longer. Dunlop, Continental, Avon, and others.
If you ride 5,000 or more miles a year and don't mind slowing down in the wet - get Michelin Commanders.

NOTE:  The Michelin Commander 3 may have improved wet weather traction....I don't have any experience with that model.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #130 - 05/08/23 at 11:52:40

I went ahead & ordered the Conti tour tire in the 130/90-15 configuration.

As Dave suggested, I went through the reviews on Revzilla. Most were from Harley riders & of course, that's a far cry from Savage in nearly every respect; but that's what we deal with when it comes to rear tires on a Savage.

IMHO, I've always been of the mind that the rear tire size Suzuki chose for this little cruiser was too big.

In any event, there were some reviews mentioning 15-16K miles on them with very good reviews as a wet weather tire.
So we will see.

The price was $128.00 shipped to the house by horse & buggy.

Got them at American Moto Tire

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #131 - 05/08/23 at 12:24:19

It's interesting that the speed rating on the Conti Tours is only 93mph (P).  The Dunlop D404s are 130mph (H).  While 93 is probably fine, it does make me wonder how they act after long riding on 140 degree pavement.  If you move up to the 140/90 in the Conti Tours, the speed rating jumps up to 130H.  Sorry, I’m a little skeptical of that tire in 130/90.  And personally I want as big a footprint as I can get.  I like the way the 140/90 fits the wheel well too.

« Last Edit: 05/08/23 at 13:26:40 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #132 - 05/08/23 at 13:28:07

This tire has pretty good reviews. Nearly all from bikes 3 times the size of my Savage. So I think for my purposes it will be fine. I ran the 130/90-15 on my old Savage & got along well with it.
If I get 10K on it I'll be happy as a clam.
Guess we'll see.

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/08/23 at 12:24:19:
It's interesting that the speed rating on the Conti Tours is only 93mph (P).  The Dunlop D404s are 130mph (H).  While 93 is probably fine, it does make we wonder how they act after long riding on 140 degree pavement.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #133 - 05/08/23 at 14:03:17

Yep!  Come back and let us know down the rode. Happy Trails!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #134 - 05/09/23 at 16:36:22

I hope this is not too far offtopic, but I had a tire puncture on my KTM this morning, good thing it happened on a local low speed street. There is a big tear into my tubeless tire, I have no idea what caused it, must have ran over a big chunk of metal. I am now paranoid as to what would happen if this occurred on a highway.

From the safety standpoint, is it a good or a bad idea to add a tube to a tubeless tire setup?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 16:59:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tire Choices

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.