Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uses for used motor oil? (Read 124 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Uses for used motor oil?
11/18/15 at 13:21:53

What are good uses for used motor and transmission fluids? I occasionally have some and with a little property and things to do I am sure there are things to use it for versus taking it to recycle.

I have thought about using it for chainsaw bar chain oil, but not sure if it's thick enough?

What are some other good ideas, aside from greasing a 50' telephone pole with a $100 bill on top?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Uses for used motor oil?
Reply #1 - 11/18/15 at 13:30:09

Makes good cutting oil and tranny oil is good for penetration oil.
but I still make 100 times what I need.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/18/15 at 13:42:38

I used to spend a lot of time on chainsaw forums....and a few folks used old motor oil for bar/chain oil.  However.....it doesn't have anything in it to make it tacky and it flies off the chain fast and you have to crank up the pump volume to keep the chain properly oiled (most modern chains are designed to be really thrifty wit the bar oil so that they are good for the environment).  It also turns your saw into a horrible black mess.....no way I want to use it in my saws.

I do use some of the oil on the wooden floor of my wood shed - the boards are soft pine and it is not painted or treated with anything, so I keep the boards well lubed with used oil.  Not so much that the boards are slick - but enough so the water beads up.

I have also soaked the bottom of my locust posts in the used oil before I put them in the ground.

I take extra used oil to a neighbor that has a waste oil heater in his shop, and he uses it for heat.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 11/18/15 at 15:45:35

Can't do much with it, too dirty for chain saw bars. I keep a gallon around in case I need to heat treat a knife blade, the rest gets taken over to Pep Boys for recycling.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/18/15 at 16:15:11

Thanksgiving is coming up,... how do cook your turkey?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 11/18/15 at 17:45:48

I've heard of an old trick where you pour some sand or sawdust in a barrel, add some used oil and then push your shovels, rakes, whatever into it over the winter to keep them from rusting.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/18/15 at 17:53:43

When I was a kid (a very long time ago) my neighbor periodically sprayed it under his cars and trucks and also removed the body plugs and poured it into the doors, rocker panels etc.  He said it was great rust proofing and I think he was right.  Today I save it for a friend who heats his pole barn with waste oil.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/18/15 at 17:55:52

Get a quart of acetone and use it with the transmission fluid as petrenating loi?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 11/18/15 at 17:58:43

I knew a guy that used to wipe the woodgrain on his woody with transmission oil.

That didn't sound right!  Grin Grin Grin

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 11/18/15 at 18:09:14

If your property is rural you can paint it on fence posts as a preservative. Don't do this if you have painted the posts white.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #10 - 11/18/15 at 18:18:29

First as Dave said, Used oil, (I sometimes mixed with a little Kerosene, or Fuel oil), spread out over the floor boards of the 2 wood floor trailers in the fall.

Also the wood handles on the rakes/hoes/shovels, in the fall, before they are put away for the winter.

Also, of the, ’top’ of the, flat topped’, posts, (which were in before I got here),
(I was always taught that ANY, fence post should be rounded, or cut at a angle on top, to make the rain/snow, run off rather than soak in.)

Also, have a area, I park, trailers and etc on.
Use a old garden watering can, and, sprinkle the oil over that area, (no weeds/grass grow)

Around, next to, buildings, (no weeds).  
Pour against fence posts,  the side, so it soak in the wood, and slowly moves down the post.

Used to be a fellow, at a, little lake cabin the family had when I was a child.  He would sprinkle, the used oil on the gravel driveway, kept the dust down. After many years, it was as solid as  a black top, (tar road).

Don’t use it in the chain saw oilier, it just does NOT work as well as the,  ‘Bar Oil’, specifically designed to NOT, throw off, at high speed.   BUT, I do, use it on the ‘beam’, of the splitter.  Have a old paint brush, and, ‘paint’, it on all exposed surfaces, where the real paint has rubbed off. It retards the rusting of those surfaces. After every time I use the hydrolic splitter.

Or, take it to a place, that burns oil for heat, they will be glad to take it for free.

And check into, some States, anyplace, that Sells New oil,  MUST, take, Used oil,  in at NO Charge

Now, putting used oil on the ground, according to some in the guberment, is bad.
But after the, Guberment, ’spilled’, MILLIONS of gallons, of VERY toxic water into a river, which for 100’s of miles has effected, (KILLED), All Wildlife, (Fish/Fowl/Hoved), and Domestic animals, and the drinking water of 100’s of Thousands of people, and said:  "No Problem”.
I don’t think they would have much to say, about a gallon or so, on the ground, to kill weeds.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 11/18/15 at 23:29:45

Don't use used oil to kill weeds, try used ethylene glycol coolant from radiators and so on. Kills most known life forms, animal, vegetable, worms, humans.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 11/19/15 at 17:42:55

Like JC said, animals love it. Be careful around ones you want to keep!  Wink

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 11/19/15 at 17:46:17

Somebody somewhere tested at some point and said that the ground can absorb 1 quart per square foot per year of oil.  In large, continuous use, it will evenutally seep into ground water.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/19/15 at 20:46:35

jcstokes wrote on 11/18/15 at 23:29:45:
Don't use used oil to kill weeds, try used ethylene glycol coolant from radiators and so on. Kills most known life forms, animal, vegetable, worms, humans.

ethylene glycol coolant is history, at least in my state, it's been replaced by the new non toxic stuff
I saw a cat die from it once, it was horrible, please, if you want to kill a critter, just shoot it or something, there's a difference between pragmatism and cruelty

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:24:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › Uses for used motor oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.