Blown Fork Seal (Read 204 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Blown Fork Seal
11/18/15 at 12:45:15

Well, guys, I guess all the rough terrain and potholes in my area has done its damage to my right fork seal. Before my trip I discovered a little puddle of oil on my rim and discovered that the seal is blown. Is it absolutely critical that I fix this immediately. I have already ridden it since then. I know it weakens the suspension (duh). I am also concerned that it is going to wear out the internals from lack of lubrication. Will a bit of gear oil, motor oil or ATF hurt it till I get it fixed? I don't have any fork oil on hand.

I was making my commute to college. I was going to use the gym, but I talked with someone and didn't get the opportunity. I was left with 2 extra hours so I just brought it home. The fellow I spoke with thought it was a safe idea since I was looking forward to a wind/rainstorm  Shocked. I was largely aware of it. I got to ride in some of the wind. It hasn't rained yet. Between risking having the parked bike blown over in the wind, getting water in the busted fork, and everything else, I just brought it home. One thing that really nags me -- some may have trouble understanding this -- is that I didn't use the opportunity to ride in the rainstorm Sad. I am afraid I missed the all that adventure Sad. To make it worse, it is late in the season so the next rainstorm will probably be cold Sad

What is there to rebuilding the forks? Do I need to do both sides or just the broken one? Is there anything else I can do. I have no real knowledge on this subject.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Blown Fork Seal
Reply #1 - 11/18/15 at 12:53:04

I might have forgotten to mention that I don't want to be without my bike, so I would prefer a fairly quick solution, so I am hoping that the required repairs aren't too long or difficult. Probably the longest wait would be for the parts. Is there a temporary fix while I wait for parts? Some sort of oil, grease, or sealing compound?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/18/15 at 13:00:09

there are 2 sets of instructions in the tech index   Grin

Can be done in a couple of hours if you have the tools ahead of time.

many have ridden months, if not years w/out any oil.

I'd both at once, you want them matching.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/18/15 at 13:01:28

try this first... you can make one from a 2 liter plastic bottle...
http://sealmate.net/

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #4 - 11/18/15 at 13:06:27

Thanks, I will look into all that when I have time. Do you think I am missing anything not riding in the coming downpour? It really annoys me. I have ridden in the wet but not a real rainstorm yet. I gather that some people don't like it. Am I missing all the fun or am I just avoiding a hard time?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/18/15 at 13:15:13

whatever floats your bike...   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 11/18/15 at 14:33:17

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/18/15 at 13:06:27:
Thanks, I will look into all that when I have time. Do you think I am missing anything not riding in the coming downpour? It really annoys me. I have ridden in the wet but not a real rainstorm yet. I gather that some people don't like it. Am I missing all the fun or am I just avoiding a hard time?

Don't stop there! Try a hail storm out for size. Now there is the ultimate . . .riding . . .experience. Don't  miss it!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 11/18/15 at 16:35:46

Grin ROFL

Are you serious, or are you just being sarcastic?

Has anyone here seriously rode through a hailstorm? Shielded face, windshield, or naked? Did you like it? Or are you just pulling my leg? Tongue

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #8 - 11/18/15 at 16:40:50

When I do get around to actually repairing the forks, is there a way of making them stronger? I get the impression that a lot of people are blowing their forks from rough treatment. I recall somebody on this forum blaming it on wheelies. What is the best oil to use for harsh conditions, heavy or light? What brand? weight?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 11/18/15 at 17:09:25

I have actually ridden in a hail storm.  It was many, many moons ago when I was in my late teens. I was heading home as quick as I legally could hoping to beat the big, bad rain clouds I saw coming. I go around a curve and straight into a hail storm.  No rain, the wind was really blowing, I hit it about 60 mph.  Lucky for me it was BB to pea sized hail so it wasn't a life threatening situation.  It stung and burned.  I hit the brakes quickly and slowed down to about 25.  At this time I was about 3 miles from home so I kept going and got there just before the bottom fell out.
The hail lasted about half a mile.  When I got home, I had a few little places where the hail had torn my skin (very small sores) and all exposed skin was bright red and very sore.

That was my first and only time in a hail storm.  I hope I'm never in one on a bike again.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #10 - 11/18/15 at 17:20:22

Thanks for sharing your experience. Informative. I bet a face shield would have been helpful in that situation. I wonder if anyone has torn up a helmet or faceshield by riding through hail. I guess hail protection would be a novel use for a helmet. No good getting KO'ed by big hail balls. If a hailstone can break a windshield, would sure do a number on a helmet, not to mention an unshielded head. Shocked

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 11/19/15 at 04:18:33

I was wearing a 3/4 helmet with a shield. Shield suffered no ill effects.
Really the only exposed skin was my hands and forearms up to the elbows and my neck.  I was wearing a sweatshirt but it was warm so I rolled the sleeves up just above my elbows.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/19/15 at 04:54:35

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/18/15 at 16:40:50:
When I do get around to actually repairing the forks, is there a way of making them stronger? I get the impression that a lot of people are blowing their forks from rough treatment. I recall somebody on this forum blaming it on wheelies. What is the best oil to use for harsh conditions, heavy or light? What brand? weight?

There are a few folks that have had seal leaks.....hundreds of others don't.  I really don't think rough treatment is a factor - the Savage has a pretty easy life when compared to off road bikes, and these are basically the same fork design that I had on my 1973 Suzuki motocross bike.

Next year the Savage will celebrate it's 30th birthday, and there are a lot of the bikes still running around that are 20+ years old.  Not all of these bikes are stored indoors, and rubber parts don't last forever.  Replacing aged fork seals should be considered a maintenance issue, and once the seals age and shrink/stiffen/crack they won't provide a good seal anymore.

I use 15W fork oil - or automobile ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in my forks.  The Savage forks are not sophisticated enough that it really makes much difference.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/19/15 at 13:16:54

cheapnewb24 wrote on 11/18/15 at 16:40:50:

In addition to Dave's observations:
The hardest thing on fork seals is not riding the motorcycle.   Seals last longer if they are actually used.  It keeps them flexing, and keeps them from getting hard.
I store my bikes outside.  I have ridden my Savages off road..  I have broken a lot of things probably because of that (gas tank mount, muffler mount, rear fenders, spokes,  headlight buckets).  I have never had a front fork seal fail because of that treatment.  I have replaced them once (maybe twice?) due to a minor weeping.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/20/15 at 11:02:29

First what you may be 'missing out on' in a serious rainstorm is pure misery, not an adventure
ATF is fine in forks, though whether you want type F, type A, Mercon / dexron, or one of the newer blends I never asked
I think the Savage uses 10 weight stack, and ATF might be an improvement over that, to be honest
Try the plastic thingie Sero posted, 8 times out of 10 a blown fork seal just has a bit of gunge in it, and will quit weeping if you get that out
Sorta like an eyeball, it don't like foreign objects in there

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:34:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blown Fork Seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.