Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i surmise (Read 67 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
i surmise
11/16/15 at 05:49:18

I took the longest ride Saturday that I've ever taken on my newly acquired LS. I must have ridden in the neighborhood of around 150 miles. I stopped once, briefly, to fill up and hit the road again.
It was a test ride of sorts. I wanted to see how comfortable the LS is and get the feel for the bike as a valid road machine. I've  ridden bikes for years. I bought my first road bike in 1981 and although this bike cannot be compared to that one, or many of the others Ive owned over the years really, they are similar in that they are both set up as road machines. I like the LS650. I like the way it responds to corners, I like the acceleration I like the braking, and I like the way the motor acts at road speeds. I only have two real complaints with the bike. One is the weight; I wish it were a heavier bike. I've had this bike out in cross winds that nearly blew me off the road @30 mph. The only other real complaint I have so far is the handlebars and, of course, I mentioned that in one of my first posts here. I'll be changing those this winter.
In a nut shell I'm happy with the little LS. I think I'll keep her awhile! ��

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: i surmise
Reply #1 - 11/16/15 at 17:37:15

Gus wrote on 11/16/15 at 05:49:18:
... complaints with the bike. One is the weight; I wish it were a heavier bike. I've had this bike out in cross winds that nearly blew me off the road @30 mph....
You need experience, I have no problem doing 60 mph with a 30 mph side wind -- with 1/3 less weight.  Steady side, no problem other than leaning slightly and my windshield is useless, it blocks air to the side.   As you ride you look as the hills and stuff that will be blocking the wind and you eventually get to able to compensate just as the wind drops, and up as it gets out of the block.  You learn the wind flowing around a semi tractor-trailer and again compensate for the changing wind as you ride pass it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/16/15 at 19:04:11

I thought the Savage held the road well when we took aside blast.
Because I had lightened my grip, to help with the hand numbing, when the guts hit, it blew the front a bit left, effectively counter steering me into the wind.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 11/16/15 at 19:29:46

All I can say to you two pro's is watch yourself if your ridin in South Dakota. Thirty mile an hour ain't nothin'. Just my observation of an otherwise nice bike.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/16/15 at 20:13:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/16/15 at 19:04:11:
I thought the Savage held the road well when we took aside blast.
Because I had lightened my grip, to help with the hand numbing, when the guts hit, it blew the front a bit left, effectively counter steering me into the wind.

I always wondered why the wind sucked me into leaning into the wind.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 11/16/15 at 20:37:40

It is mainly a learning curve... I road mine from florida to north Carolina.... and also from florida to west texas.
Mostly interstate to texas.... did fine... get a small windscreen, medium actually works better than a large one.... enough to keep the wind going over your eyes.

Fun stuff! Keep making improvements to fit you and you will never want or need another motorcycle. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 11/17/15 at 13:17:18

Quote:
Keep making improvements to fit you and you will never want or need another motorcycle.

Must be somethin' wrong with me then. I see at least one other motorcycle I want, and am pretty sure I need, about once a week Wink Still ridin's the Suzuki though.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/17/15 at 14:04:08

Lighter grip on the bars = self correcting bike, ypu may be overgripping

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print