Send Topic Print
Winter Is Coming! (Read 71 times)
Text_14
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winter Is Coming!
11/15/15 at 01:06:30

So this will be my first winter with my bike (I live in Michigan) and the snow will hit the ground soon. I have read on here that people add Stabil and use their battery tender. Just a few questions.

1. How much Stabil would I add before storing?

2. I read some people just start the bike and let it sit idle. Would this be a better option than just letting it sit all winter.

3. If starting it every week or so, should I still add Stabil?

Thanks for the help. Any other tips or tricks are much appreciated!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Winter Is Coming!
Reply #1 - 11/15/15 at 03:27:31

1. Sta-bil recommends 1 oz to ever 2.5 gallons of fuel (how convenient!)

2. This is a personal preference thing.  Some will tell you to drain the carb and you'll be fine to let it sit all winter.  Others will tell you to run it every week or two to get the fuel flowing.  Do what you feel most comfortable with.

3.  If you plan on keeping the same old gas all season, regardless of running the bike you should add sta-bil.  It helps prevent corrosion and keep the gas from breaking down.

In reference to number 2, there's been some interesting discussion regarding oil flow while idling the bike on it's side stand.  Many people's method of running it in the winter is to start the bike in neutral and let it warm up on the kickstand while enjoying a cup of coffee.  Recent evidence may suggest this does more harm than good.  If nothing else, it's worth a read:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/15/15 at 04:20:17

After buying a bike with only 3,890 miles on it, and finding that the right side cam lobe and rocker were badly worn - I don't believe it is ever good to start the bike and let it idle on the sidestand.  Also - the oil pressure at idle is pretty feeble, so excess idling is not good for the bike.

Is your bike sitting outside, in a carport, in an unheated/uninsulated garage, in the garage attached to the house, in the basement?  It makes a difference to the bike what kind of temperature/humidity swings the bike has to endure.  The temperature/humidity swings help to pull moisture into the fuel system and corrode the metal parts.

My winter storage is a bit over the top.  I change the engine oil and filter, then drain the E10 fuel out of the tank, put enough Avgas 100LL into the tank so I can go for a long enough ride to get the bike fully warmed up,  shut off the petcock just far enough away from home that the carb is out of fuel when I hit my driveway.  I then disconnect the fuel line and drain the fuel out of the tank, I drain the carb if it has a float bowl drain screw.  About once a month I put a battery tender on the bike and let it charge until it shows the battery is fully charged.

IF you choose to store the bike with fuel in it - it would be best if you can find a place to buy fuel that does not have any ethanol in it (Check PureGas.org to find a place near you. http://pure-gas.org)  Add Sta-Bil to the amount listed on the bottle.....and ride the bike long enough to get the Sta-Bil into the carb - then when you are done riding drain the carb float bowl if you have a drain screw on your bike. Get a battery tender - and only start the bike if you can ride it......don't let it idle on the sidestand!

Mikes650Rocker_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 11/15/15 at 07:38:13

Hello from Minnesota,

Everyone has their own rituals when it comes to winter but for the past 30 years here is what I have done.

Minimum:
1. Put Stabil in the gas per the instructions on the bottle. (do not get it on your paint!)
2. Run engine down the block and back so that you get stabil in to the carburator.
3. Put battery on a battery tender.

Better:
1A. last tank of gas should be non-Oxy if you can get it (it is getting quite common in Minn now).  And use Stabil.
2A. after running the gas through then pull the plug on the bottom of the float bowl and drain all the gas out of the carb into something like the cap off a spray paint can.
3A. Pull the battery and bring it inside and put it on a tender inside where it stays warm.

Best:
Wash the bike so it is nice and clean.
Start with an oil and filter change first, then do all of the above.
cover the bike and kiss it good night until spring

If you want to go over the top you pull the spark plug and put a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder before and then turn the engine over a few times before putting the spark plug back in.  If you do this you need to pull the vacuum line to the pet thingy before you do or it will fill your carb with gas again.  I have not done the oil in the cylinders for many years but I used to.

There is also a debate on whether you want a full tank or an empty tank.  General rule of thumb was a metal tank you fill it and a plastic tank you leave low or empty.  Now with ethanol in the gas that has added a new twist since it absorbs water.  I try to get the non-Oxy gas and then leave it full.

good luck!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter Is Coming!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.