Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
laid her down, tail light is out now (Read 196 times)
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laid her down, tail light is out now
11/14/15 at 16:01:24

Le sigh.
Does anyone come here just to say hi?
En route bk to fl and I've made it as far as richmond.
Bonehead error- forgot to turn my gas on and the bike shut off. I had to abandon ship tp avoid getting hit and thusly, i laid her down.
My left rear signal is now out as well as my tail/brake light. I have about 24 hrs left on my trip permit. Spied a bike shop about 20mins away for parts, etc

Front peg is broken and it could be in my head but i swear the clutch gear is slightly farther right...slightly-it could be my wonky peg but it also seems the clutch is requiring a bit more effort to pull in. I am in desperate need of suggestions. I really wna get back on the rd tmrw. Checked the forum and found bulb replacement but considering the circumstances, wondering if I've broken a wire or something. I know i can't ride like this. I've already had a good Samaritan stop me.

Thanks

Jaye Embarrassed

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: laid her down, tail light is out now
Reply #1 - 11/14/15 at 16:57:47

So sorry about your mishap, and glad that YOU re ok.  I'm not close enough to you to try to help get you back on the road, but I'm guessing someone closer will be along soon, fingers crossed.  

Are you in Richmand Va?

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/14/15 at 18:59:09

Yes, I'm in Richmond, va.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 11/15/15 at 03:16:14

It would be worthwhile to take the seat off and check the wires for the tail and brake lights. The connectors pass under the passenger seat.  If you are lucky, maybe the wires just got pulled and loosened somehow.  Assuming you laid it on the left side, perhaps the clutch lever itself is slightly bent, causing extra friction around the pivot point.

If you're really in a crunch for time and can't find parts, you can take that peg off, get that shop or someone to hammer it straight as they can, and put it back on.  It'll be good enough to get you home.

Did your handlebars not bend? LUCKY!!  Glad to hear you didn't get run over.  Wish I could help, but Galveston is a little too far south from you.  Undecided

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/15/15 at 06:06:27

Thanks for the reply. I checked thr wiring but didn't notice any disconnections or frays. I am going to hit the road and stop by that store. Hopefully they are open now and can give me a bit of assistance. If not, i will be rolling through sc in about two hrs and will look for help there. My right rear signal light is still working so I'm assuming it's something i did to damage the left rear and brake lights. The tag light is still on also.
Can i do anything to relieve some of the clutch tension? Oiling it wouldn't apply to this situation. It doesn't look like it's been bent at all but i can feel the difference. It's not impossibly hard but like going from a 3 lb trigger pull to a 5lb.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 11/15/15 at 08:34:00

Where in SC are you going through? I'm in Spartanburg.
There are no motorcycle shops around here I know of that are open on Sunday.  But, I'll be glad to offer assistance if I can.  I don't have parts but anything that can be fixed or rigged to work until you get  home, I'll be happy to help with.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/15/15 at 11:48:35

My bike just lost all power when i stopped to stretch my legs. I'm 40 mi outside of henderson, nc atm. Idk wtf happened. I didn't feel any decrease in power.  I noticed gas around the side cover that id already wiped down. I thought it was what came out of my carb when id laid it down. I'm sitting at a gas station with it on my tender. No horn. No lights. Nothing.
I just drove it 100 mi no prob
What is going on and should i leave it?

IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/15/15 at 15:05:13

Got the bike running.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 11/15/15 at 17:49:47

Really, JJ? I'm stuck by the road at a dinky station, the only sign of civilization for miles. I called JOG, and he talked me through first things to try, checked fuses, pulled tank, discovered connector that was hanging loose at both ends,

FWIW, from,
Okay, I'm pulling the tank.
To
I've got power.
Took her about five minutes. If that.
She has learned a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jjthejetplane

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/16/15 at 15:06:50

Haha. I'm sorry!!! I was beat by the time I got in. That was all i cpuld muster.
The story:
I called JOG crying from the middle of nowhere, with a bike thatvhad 0 power. He talked me thru the diagnostics and we discovered that it was a disconnected wire under the gas tank.
If youve lost power-check batt, fuses, and that darned wire!! I wouldve been jumping for joy but 5 hrs on the road with wobbling bags and a dead bike killed my enthusiasm.
I made it as far as Clarksville, Va last night and made it to Charlotte, NC today. I have gotten better ratchet ties and no longer have wobbling luggage.
I've met two Savage owners on the road who went out of there way to get me right. My faith in humanity has kind of been renewed BUT i still have about 500 mi ahead of me so fingers crossed.

Thank you, JOG. I'd still be in the middle of nowhere if it weren't for you.
Need to replace the bulbs fir my lights still.
Currently, riding dirty.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/17/15 at 15:16:50

My S40 is ALWAYS dirty  Grin
I know, different dirty
so glad JOG was able to talk you through it, I was as lost as you were re the reason for the problem
I'm still not all that 'savage wise'

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 11/17/15 at 20:12:12

I had that plug come apart on me a couple of times before I put a wire tie on it to prevent future occurences.

Glad to hear you got it going.  Now, get some bulbs where you need them before you end up with an expensive ticket. Around here, it's $80 for bulb out if they don't give you a warning.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #12 - 11/17/15 at 23:19:23

those plugs /conectors  are nuts i had 2 unhook on a new bike 2000 miles. first was the decomp timer and next the one to the key switch used 30 or 40 zip ties to triple tie them all . hope i got them all

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/17/15 at 23:41:20

JOG rocks!...  and JJ rocks for braving the wrench on the road... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:35:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › laid her down, tail light is out now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.