Send Topic Print
Alternatives to BS40SS (Read 124 times)
butterscotch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alternatives to BS40SS
11/09/15 at 13:58:18

So here's what I'm working with.  '87 Savage.  Stock motor except for KN intake and custom exhaust.  Big City Thunder baffle inside basically an extended header.  I live in Greenville, SC in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.  As of now, custom bars, seat, wiring harness.  Basic bobber project stuff.

Anyways, everything is done except for the carb.  The long and short of it is that I had a stuck pilot jet, drilled it out, but the threads were damaged.  I tried tapping, but I lost too much material in the body.  I don't think there's enough there for a helicoil as the wall is just 2mm where the pilot jet is housed.  Tried building it back up with JB Weld, but it was just two thin to be strong.  blahblahblah.

The obvious solution is to just buy a new stock carb, but they're running $130-170 on eBay, and you still don't know what you're really getting.  Having my carb machined with an aluminum rod in the body or something would probably be just as much.  

Now to the question:  Will the BS40 carb work?  Not the stock BS40SS, but what I assume in the mechanical version of the stock CV.  These can be had a bit cheaper.  Also, are there any other great alternatives for carbs that any of you have used that may be cost effective?

I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you guys have.  I've been challenging myself to do this thing as inexpensively as possible, so I'm willing to exercise some ingenuity if you have any clever ideas Wink

IMG_0500_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Alternatives to BS40SS
Reply #1 - 11/10/15 at 02:52:41

Unfortunately....almost anything you try to adapt might cost as much as getting a good used carb from a Savage - that you know will work.

When you start adapting other carbs, likely you will find the jetting, slide cutaway, jet needle and needle jet are all sized wrong for the big single Savage engine.  You will likely spend a lot of time and money buying jets and different slides to get the bike to run correctly.

And as a side note.....JB Weld is not fuel proof and will not be durable if exposed to gasoline.  Same thing for RTV gasket material....direct exposure to gasoline breaks it down quickly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
butterscotch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/27/15 at 13:41:08

I got my old carb fixed.  Just wanted to write on this thread in case anyone else ever comes searching.  

I completely drilled out the old threads in the pilot jet port on my carb.  Then I took a 2 in piece of copper tube (approx 3/8in dia.) and cut sections out lengthwise with a cutoff wheel on grinder.  Basically I kept cutting and clamping the copper tube together until it fit-ish.  Then with some sanding and whatnot I was able to tap it down into the port.  Then all there was left to do was thread the inside of the copper tube/sleeve and we're back on the road.  Its not an interference fit so some may balk at the cheap fix, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than a new carb.  And it works Wink

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 11/27/15 at 17:41:00

nice work

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 11/27/15 at 17:44:04

Great work!

I like it when ingenuity triumphs over dollars.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 11/29/15 at 12:11:13

Brilliant! An ingenious and clever repair for free. Well played.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:27:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternatives to BS40SS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.